Thursday, March 26, 2009

This or That Thursday

Today's This or That involves activities that sharpen the mind. Many people enjoy crossword puzzles. Others enjoy sudoko. Some do both. Both activities force you to think, concentrate, and stretch your mind for a short period of time. Sudoko is a logic based number placement puzzle. Did you know that the word sudoko means single number? Maybe that will be a crossword clue someday! The first crossword puzzle was created in 1913 by Arthur Wynne. See it here.
Do you enjoy these activities?

I have never tried sudoko, but I do like crossword puzzles. I don't have much time nowadays to sit and do a crossword puzzle as much as I'd like, but I can see myself doing them frequently when I'm an empty nester (which thankfully isn't for a LONG time!). In the lazy, crazy days of summer, I seem to try crossword puzzles more. Since many of my blog readers are writers, my guess is that crossword puzzles will dominate this week. We're word people!

Here are a few of many online links to games:

Crosswords at Boatloadpuzzles.com.


Washington Post has Sudoko and Crosswords online.


Do you enjoy sudoko or crossword puzzles? Please comment and/or click on the poll on the right!
Also, a big THANK YOU to Solvang Sherrie! I won a cool bracelet on her blog yesterday!

12 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

I used to love Sudoku. I try to stay away as it is a time suck. But fun.

Angela said...

I play online scrabble at Facebook (wordscraper). The other game I like is Yahoo's Bookworm. I really enjoy the word games. :-)

Kelly said...

PJ-I totally agree on the time suck factor. They're fun, but there are SO many other things to get done!
Angela- Scrabble is good fun...haven't heard of Bookworm. May have to check it out!

The Things We Carried said...

I like crosswords, never tied Sudoko. (but my kids love the latter)

DebraLSchubert said...

I've been a life-long crossword puzzle freak, but I've been big into Sudoku this past year or so. I do them at night (from a book) after I've shut off my laptop. It relaxes me before I go to sleep, so it's not a time suck for me at all. You can get good pretty quickly if you do them on a regular basis, but they sure can kick your butt!

Ello said...

I'm like pj - I used to love sudoku but now I just don't have the time or patience anymore. But put me in a waiting room with nothing and I'll sudoku myself to death.

lyfizgud said...

i am addicted to scrabble on facebook...a friend of mine and i always have a game going and play when we have time :) it makes me feel less guilty if i'm watching tv and playing scrabble...i don't feel so lazy :)

Suzanne Casamento said...

YAY! You won! Congratulations!

I am not so good at crossword puzzles and sudoku is like rocket science to me. But I LOVE wordgames. Give me Scrabble or Boggle and I'm all over it!

Kim Kasch said...

Thanks for posting the fun links.

Keri Mikulski said...

Love crosswords. I don't get Sudoku. :) Tried, but I suck. :)

Rena said...

I've never tried Sudoku, but I like crossword puzzles. Word searches are more my thing though. Less thinking, I guess. LOL!

Solvang Sherrie said...

I love word puzzles of any kind. I used to do the Jumble in the newspaper every day and whenever we go to a restaurant and the kids get menus with word games, I'm afraid I tend to jump in, take over, steal...well, y'know!

Facebook has these games that I'm addicted to: Word Twist, Word Challenge and Word Whomp Derby. I have to be careful not to be sucked in and never heard from again.

And I'm glad you liked the bracelet!