Thursday, March 5, 2009

Poetry Friday

This week I returned to my former profession as a grade school teacher. I now occasionally substitute teach at the school where I used to teach third and fourth grade. It was truly fun to go back and be part of a school again. My colleagues were so friendly, and the kids are a hoot and a holler.

This week's poem reminds me of when I taught third grade. I came to school with a new short haircut (my hair was previously long), and boy, did it shock my students! Kids are so wonderfully honest. One child exclaimed, "Oh, no, Mrs. Polark! What did you do?!" The consensus of the class (that I heard through whispers or straight to my face) was that they liked it better long.

Enjoy Bed Head by Kenn Nesbitt
This week's poetry roundup is at Picture Book of the Day!

14 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

Love kid's honestly. My daughter told me yesterday how her butt was small and my butt was big but not too bug.

jama said...

Yes, students are very honest. My high school students laughed at my bad perm once. Thanks for the funny poem. :D

Yat-Yee said...

Hehe. I like the punch line at the end.

Forks and pokes, yikes! I'd go with wearing a bowl on my head any day.

I'm Jet . . . said...

Good one, Kelly. Today I'm having a good hair day. Yippee!

Paul Michael Murphy said...

I wore a suit today and overheard this from one of my girls:

"He doesn't look like a teacher."

adrienne said...

Cute poem. I haven't tried pokers and picks - I might have to resort to that :)

Kelly said...

Hee, thanks for more giggles, guys!

Shelli said...

is this a younger version of " welcome back kotter" - ugh am i showing my age? :)

Rena said...

Oh, I hope you're having a great time being back. Sounds like fun.

Kim Kasch said...

Fun little poem. I always think it's hard to be a "working" Mom. Wait, every Mom is working. ;)

Fiddler said...

"Regardless of how I attack it,
I simply cannot make it stay."

I've had hair like that.

Kelly, thanks for sharing both the story and the poem!

C.R. Evers said...

I hope you had a great day back at school! :0) luv the poem! :0)

Christy

Carrie Harris said...

How nice that you're able to return to your old school!

And I too love kids' honesty. Yesterday, my son was telling me in no uncertain terms how very old I am. :)

Suzanne Casamento said...

Congratulations on getting back to the classroom! And as for kids' honesty, it's my favorite reason to be around them. They also tend to be very sure of their opinions, which is adorable.