Saturday, November 1, 2008

Cinquain Saturday

I heart poetry! Two of the few items I saved from my grade school years are my poetry unit collections that I made in fifth and eighth grade. When I was a grade school teacher, I so enjoyed teaching the different styles of poetry to my students. Now I create poetry for fun and to submit to magazines. I also have three picture books of poetry that I am presenting to various publishers.
Due to this love of poetry, Saturdays in the Kelly Polark Blog World will now become Cinquain Saturdays. A cinquain is a five line poem. There are three styles.
Style #1

Line 1: One word
Line 2: Two words
Line 3: Three words
Line 4: Four words
Line 5: One word

Style #2
Line 1: A noun
Line 2: Two adjectives
Line 3: Three -ing words
Line 4: A phrase
Line 5: A synonym for the noun in Line 1
Style #3

Line 1: Two syllables
Line 2: Four syllables
Line 3: Six syllables
Line 4: Eight syllables
Line 5: Two syllables

I usually use Style #3 when I write cinquains. When I taught poetry to my students, I used Style #2 to incorporate the parts of speech. I currently write cinquains for children and for adults. Each Saturday I will post a new cinquain on my blog! I whipped one up this morning to start my Cinquain Saturday...don't worry, they'll get better. ;0)

Today's Cinquain

My blog.
Write, share, connect
With peers, family, friends.
Compose, revise, add picture then
Publish!


Thanks for checking it out! I also want to give a shout out to The Write Marbles website for sending me a fabulous picture book, Hush, Little Dragon by Boni Ashburn. I won their Chime In and Rhyme contest last month. And lo and behold, I just heard today I won another contest! YA Author Keri Mikulski is sending me some cool YA books that I won in her Book Giveaway Contest! Woo hoo! Thanks Keri and Write Marbles for some great reads!

14 comments:

Rena said...

How fun! Looking forward to more.

C.R. Evers said...

Oh fun! I may have to give those a try.

Congrats on all your winnings!

Christy

Nora MacFarlane said...

I make poetry books with my 5th & 6th graders. It's one of my favorite units. Love your cinquain!

Anonymous said...

I love poetry 2. Kim k

Brenda said...

How fun! With those winnings, you better buy a lottery ticket! grin...

Ann E. Bryson said...

Kelly! Congratulations on your wins!

I love this idea. Here is my cinquain in the first style, dedicated to you.

Kelly
Good Girl
Head Banging Mama
Heavy Metal Music Lover
Rockstar!

-Ann

Kelly said...

Thanks, ladies! And awesome cinquain, Ann ;)

adrienne said...

How fun!
I think my dad kept one of my poem books from fifth grade. It's a little embarrassing!

Africakid said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm happy to find someone else who writes poetry. Good idea with the cinquain!

WordWrangler said...

ooooh - I love poetry, too! I'll have to keep an eye on this!


hugs,
Donna

Funny Poetry Girl said...

Great idea! I liked your cinquain. I'm gonna try some too.

Kerrie Ann Frey said...

Congratulations! That's an awesome motivator. As a writer, the detailed descriptions to the lines of poetry really kept me interested in this blog.
Keep moving forwards, Kelly, and that poetry book of yours will be on my bookshelf!

C. Lee McKenzie said...

Congrats on winning. Sounds like you're on a roll.

Kim said...

I love cinquains and always had a blast writing them along with my children back in my homeschooling days. I think I may join in--is that ok?
*smiles*
Kim