Friday, November 21, 2008

Behind the Times

Yes, I am ten years behind...I just finished reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone! I read to my three children each night -a picture book for JD, a picture book or a chapter to my daughter, and then a chapter (or several pages of a nonfiction book) to my oldest son. I finally convinced my nine year old son, J-Man, to read Harry Potter with me. I read a chapter to him aloud, then he reads on by himself. I then have to catch up and read to myself by bedtime the next evening. I 've wanted to read the Harry Potter series for a long time, but I also wanted to experience it at the same time as the J-Man. So we read it together. We have the collection that my mom saved for the kids after she and my sister read through them. Of course, it is as amazing as everyone has told me.
I knew J-Man would love the book. He would tell me daily, "You have to catch up, you won't believe what happens!" When he read the last few chapters by himself, he exclaimed, "Mom, there is a big surprise at the end! You HAVE to finish it tonight!" Thankfully, all of my children love to read, but it still fills my heart up with pride when I see them get truly excited over a book.
Last night we snuggled together and watched the movie together. J-Man was so proud to annouce the characters names as they came onto the screen. He would announce the settings, "Yep, there's Diagon Alley..." and had fun commenting throughout the whole movie.
After the movie he told his Dad, "Dad! It's better than Star Wars!" to which my husband yelped, "What??????" and pretended to look hurt.
This morning we all spoke in (bad) British accents as I sent my older two off to Hogwarts. I just hope J-Man doesn't return today with a rat named Scabbers...

18 comments:

C.R. Evers said...

Books~there really is a real life magic, isn't there?

Good luck, just in case of the rat. ;00

Annette Gulati said...

All of my kids are obsessed with HP. We have been reading the series for about 8 years now. (No, we're not slow readers). Started out like you're doing--reading together. Now they've read each book at least three or four times on their own! We have gone through several paperbacks! Son is totally obsessed with HP movies too, and will give us updates on when the new one is coming out, newly released trailers, movie trivia, etc. It is magic!

Carrie Harris said...

How cool that you were able to share this with him. Although it's not better than Star Wars. I mean, really. Star Wars has wookies, and it doesn't get better than that.

Rena said...

That's great, Kelly. LOL @ Carrie and the Wookies comment. She has a point, you know. ;) Both my girls are really into HP, but the only HP I'm familiar with is Hewlett Packard. :)

Kim said...

My oldest read through all of the books last year. Even though they aren't really my cup of tea, it's still amazing to experience the excitement of the stories through her eyes.

Vivian said...

I just read all the books this year, so don't worry about being behind the times.

Glad you're enjoying Harry Potter!

And I just wanted to congratulate you--you won a book!

Crystal R. said...

Kelly,

You aren't the only one behind! I have the first book, but never got around to reading it, either. Now, that's my New Year's resolution!

I was thinking, too, that I must be the only writer who hasn't read it! Maybe I'll start before New Year's . . .

adrienne said...

It's so cool when they get so excited about reading something - and lucky for your son he doesn't have to wait for the next one to come out...my kids had some long waits when they read them.

Rats make great pets, BTW! ;)

Kim Kasch said...

I'm there with you - I'm behind on this one. HP was not my kids' favorite.

Ann E. Bryson said...

What a great experience to share with your son! Funny about his comments while watching the movie!

Brenda said...

Okay...I have never read HP...and really don't want to...it is not the kind of book that interested me...

I've been tempted to read it because of all the hype, but just can't bring myself to do it...sigh...

But its great that you got to experience something so wonderful with your son...the magic of books...

Rachel Writes 4 Kids said...

My son and I are the big HP fans in our family. When the last book came out, he was finally old enough to stay up for the midnight book release. Happy reading to you and the J-man!

Solvang Sherrie said...

Your family sounds like ours! My son is still obsessed with Star Wars (and there is a seemingly never-ending supply of tie-in books!), but he and I have been reading HP together and loving it.

We've read the first five books and then watched the movies after. He keeps rereading all the books after we've finished them because he enjoys them so much. I had read the first three already, but everything past that is new for me too. It's so much fun to experience them all with him!

Suzanne Casamento said...

I'm afraid to admit this in a public forum, but you are not late. I have never read Harry Potter.

People, please do not throw rats at me.

Denise said...

I LOVE Harry Potter. I'm thrilled that you and J-Man love it too.

Shelby said...

I'm glad you found HP & The Sorcerer's Stone, in my opinion it's great literature that will forever remain popular, like The Hobbit and Wizard of Oz. One of my favorite lines to quote in the movie is when Hagrid appears with the birthday cake and says, "You're a wizard, Harry." Except that my British accent always ends up sounding like a pirate!

Vijaya said...

Kelly, that's wonderful ... last year we read the first three HP books together with the kids ... My son has now read the whole series, but I want my daughter to be a bit older before we read the others with her.

We also watched the first movie and although we liked it, we didn't like it as much as the books.

The kids haven't asked to see the other movies ...

When I first read the HP books, I couldn't wait for my kids to grow up so that I could share it with them. Time has flown.

C. Lee McKenzie said...

Hi Kelly,

I'm so pleased to hear others are behind in HP. I thought I was the only one viewing my own backside! Come to think of it I believe Hermione (sp? Not a name I write with great frequency) actually does that in one of the books.