Thursday, February 25, 2010

I Lied.

But you knew that. I am actually a terrible liar. I could only do this, because it's online and you can't see my face. Even if I am telling a mistruth to kid someone, I have to say right away, "I'm kidding!" I'd be no good at poker.
Here are my six lies from yesterday's post and my one truth.

Lie #1. The summer before my senior year of college, I was a roller derby girl for the Windy City Rollers until I broke my wrist.
When I was in junior high, I went to the roller rink a lot with my friends. It's not like riding a bike though. I have skated with my own kids, and I'm a hazard to them if I hold their hand! I seriously practice in the beginner's section.

Lie #2. I have a small cameo in a Motley Crue video.
Sadly this is a lie, because I'd love to be in a Crue video! I do have a small cameo in this Brides of Destruction video though (I'm at 1:56 and 3:35). They do have a Crue connection, because Nikki Sixx, the bassist for Motley Crue, was the original bassist of Brides of Destruction. And in other Sixx news, Nikki has a new nightly radio show called Sixx Sense on select rock stations across the U.S.

Lie #3. I was prom queen in high school, and my boyfriend at the time was prom king.
I was not prom queen, but my sister was! Switch the word from prom to homecoming in that sentence, and it would be true.

Lie #4. My minor in college was mathematics, but I have forgotten half of what I learned.
My minor was sociology. I wish my minor was english, but for some reason I had taken a lot of sociology classes, so I just took more to minor in it. My major was elementary education, so this minor doesn't make too much sense!

Lie #5. I write articles for the National Enquirer under a pen name.
No, but I was published in Us Weekly once (in the reader mail comments section when they had it!). The topic was Matthew McConaughey.

Lie #6. My favorite meal on St. Patrick's Day is corned beef and cabbage.
My favorite meal on St. Patty's Day is a reuben, no saurkraut. But my husband usually makes corned beef and cabbage on that day, and I am forced to choke down a bite of cabbage since I make my kids try it.

Here's the whole truth and nothin' but the truth:

I attended the University of Illinois on scholarship for three of my four years there.
My freshman year I won a couple of small scholarships to help pay tuition at the U of I, but my sophomore - senior year I had an Illinois General Assembly Legislative scholarship that paid my full tuition. My parents were pretty darn happy about that. My p's paid for my room and board, and I paid for my spending money by working in the summers and saving it. I had to maintain a B average to keep my scholarship, and I managed to do that and go out 3-4 nights a week! Ahhhh, college days...

The only one who guessed that was Jonathan! So now I feel extra bad that I dissed cabbage yet again!
Thanks for playing along!

31 comments:

Jonathon Arntson said...

I think cabbage will forgive you! I'll take a little longer.

Tina Laurel Lee said...

Well, at least your kids will be cabbage lovers!

I made corned beef and cabbage last year for the first time. I liked both parts. I used a red cabbage too and even the color was lovely!

Jonathon Arntson said...

Red cabbage and I are lovers.

Anita said...

My people don't trust cabbage.

wv: catruns

Bish Denham said...

I don't do saurkraut either. And WOW! that Brides of Destruction video is great! I love that pounding beat! What a treat for you.

storyqueen said...

I make the best corned beef EVER. I'm thinking of posting the recipe on my blog in March, 'cause the world would be a better place with better corned beef.

Kelly said...

Jon,Tina, Anita- Cabbage is now taking over my posts! I actually cooked the cabbage last year and burnt the crap out of the bottom of the pot and had to throw the pot away! And even though I make the kids try it, they don't like it either... My husband loves it, but he loves all food!
Jon- I was thinking you'd like chartruese cabbage the best.
Bish - I can't even smell saurkraut without gagging! I do like that band a lot, I've seen them live once, but the band broke up a few years ago!
Storyqueen- I'd love for you to post the recipe!

Jonathon Arntson said...

Chartreuse cabbage, that grosses me out more than me saying cabbage and I are lovers.

The Wild About Writing Trio said...

I'm totally impressed, though not surprised by your scholarship. We know you're one smart cookie!

Kelly@ JustWrite said...

Prom Queen, Homecoming Queen...same difference, right??

Would love to read your Matthew McConaughey comment though! Don't forget to include his pic..;)

Sharon Mayhew said...

Have you ever saute'd (sp?) cabbage in sesame seed oil? Very nice...

Tabitha said...

How fun!! :)

I went to the U of I too, but did it on Pell Grants. I had to work three part time jobs while going to school full time to pay room a board though. That didn't leave much time for going out. Oh, and I did major in math. How funny is that? :)

Elana Johnson said...

Man, now I wish you had minored in math, cuz theyn we'd be like, twins. Le sigh. :)

Debra L. Schubert said...

Too much fun! I should've pegged you for Homecoming Queen. My BFF was Homecoming Queen (we were rah-rahs together and are still good friends to this day!). Full scholarship! NICE! My son's starting college next year. I may be selling myself to rich, old men to pay the bills. (KIDDING!!!!)

Kim Kasch said...

I can't believe I didn't guess right - you'd think after following your blog for so long I'd know more about you - oh well there's always the next contest...

Kelly said...

Jon- Ha! Ha!
WAWTrio- Awww, thanks!
Kelly - I did save and cut the pic of Matthew with my comments, but I couldn't find it last night! I'll find it one day!
Sharon - My hubby would love that! Great skyping with you today!!
Tabitha - We probably were at U of I around the same time!
Elana - Why was 6 afraid of 7? Because 7 eight nine! I just thought you'd appreciate a math joke...
Debra - There are scholarships that aren't well publicized, so look around for your son. I am not looking forward to what tuition will be when my kids are in college!!!
Kim - Some of my lies were changed just a bit from a truth though!!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I don't know what was more fun - reading your posts or this comment thread! Wow. Jonathon REALLY loves his cabbage! :-)

Jonathon Arntson said...

I think Anita's comment takes the cabbage.

Rena said...

LOL -- I LOVE the picture you picked!

Anita said...

I'm gonna ask Husband if he likes cabbage...I'll get back to you.

Terresa said...

Roller derby girl, tee hee hee.

PS: I was a sociology minor, too.

I'm new to your blog & so glad I found it. I'm looking forward to reading more of your work.

Keri Mikulski said...

Love this!! :)

Especially the US WEEKLY one.. What did you write?? :)

Jonathon Arntson said...

OMG, have you seen Whip It? You must. I am on the edge of my seat re: Anita's newest comment.

Solvang Sherrie said...

How funny! I would not have guessed the prom queen thing was a lie!

Laura Pauling said...

Hey Kelly, Thanks for checking out my interview at Heather's. I was out of power all day and just got to answering the questions! :)

Kelly said...

Shannon - Cabbage has taken over my post! I didn't realize cabbage was parasitic!
Rena - Isn't that hilarious!?
Anita- Jonathan and I are waiting on whether hubby likes cabbage or not. Enquiring minds want to know!
Jon- Whip It does look like a fun movie!!
Terresa- Thank you for stopping by!
Keri - I just thanked them for such a delicious write up on Matthew Mc :) It was when Us magazine was monthly and had real interviews instead of turning tabloid.
Sherrie - I did get to witness my sis being crowned! (she was embarrassed that my parents and I showed up to the dance!)
Laura - I liked learning more about you in the interview!

jdcoughlin said...

Okay, right off I'm sorry to jump on the cabbage bit, but I am Irish and so automatically saying what the he**? So, add some butter and olive oil to a pan, then add your thin sliced cabbage and a few tablespoons to get it rolling. Then when the liquid is gone and it is beginning to brown, add some butter, sugar and salt. Absolute yum. My kids love it. Me too. It sure beats the heck out of the boiled stuff.

Jonathon Arntson said...

JD - I love it every way. I even chomp it raw!

nikki said...

well drat! I debated between the cabbage and college.

Ray Veen said...

These were fun, Kelly. Thanks for tagging me and everything. You've actually made me want to get back into blogging.

Kelly said...

JD- I may have to try that. Anything with butter is better!
Jon- I blame you for this cabbage comment tirade! ;)
Nikki - You were close!
V- I'm glad you participated. You had some interesting half truths!!