Monday, February 22, 2010

Gettin' Funny Part One

Many of you know that my husband and I are taking a class titled, "Get Funny," from our community college (speaking of, does anyone else watch the TV show, "Community," with Joel McHale and Chevy Chase? Yes, it's funny.).

On the first day, we were the only two students in the online class. There is a discussion online area where students were to introduce themselves. Mine was pretty straightforward as I figured I'd tell my instructor basics about myself. Though I did add that the cute guy in class was my husband who thinks he is funny.
Without reading my intro, my husband wrote that he joined the class, because his wife told him he wasn't funny or popular enough, and he wanted to improve his use of bathroom humor at the dinner table. The instructor replied that she'd help him increase his Poopularity.
Over the weekend three more students joined and introduced themselves, one told my husband and I to get a room.
I knew this class would be a hoot...

Our lessons include readings, quizzes, discussions in the online discussion area, and assignments. Before we started the class, my husband and I took a pretest. He scored 58%, I scored 83%.
Apparently, we need this class even more than we thought.

Lesson One chronicled the history of comedy. The instructor hypothesized about caveman humor, discussed silent movie comedies and the comedic writings of Aristophanes, Shakespeare, Mark Twain, and Oscar Wilde.

Lesson Two covered "It's funny, because it's true!" comedy. Seinfeld and Steven Wright are examples of this type of hilarity.
One of our assignments in our second lesson is to have an observation notebook to make accurate, detailed observations in everyday situations: use macro/micro observations - magnify the object or situation, or study the minute parts of it.

These observation notes can easily be used for inspiration to write scenes and stories. They are little gems of ordinary happenings that are familiar to readers. When you are cognisant of your observations, you start to see so much more, and that unlocks your imagination. I intend to save and continuously add to this observation notebook for future manuscripts.

Here is the last sentence in our reading for the second lesson:
"If you listen to what people say, and you really hear. or you watch what people do and really see. or you use your senses, process what they tell you and make careful notes, then you're halfway to becoming that really cool kind of person every group adores: the 'funny one.' "

Here's some Steven Wright if you have time for a giggle.


22 comments:

Carrie Harris said...

Ooooh! This class sounds awesomesauce. And I have long been in love with Steven Wright.

Bish Denham said...

What a fun class! And I just about fell out of my chair listening to Steven Wright. (Don't mean to be picky but it's Oscar Wilde, not Oliver...a favorite wit of mine.)

Kelly said...

Carrie - He is hilarious!
Bish - Thank you so much for the correction. I wrote this at 11pm last night and meant to double check that as it didn't sound correct and I forgot! Thank you for the heads up, I changed it!! :)

Laura Pauling said...

Hilarious Kelly. I love that kind of humor when the person is talking with a straight face and no expression. And I also love Seinfeld humor. Humor about nothing! Enjoy the class!

Jonathon Arntson said...

Great post, Kell. You are indeed becoming our teacher, thanks! I look forward to hearing a lot more about the specifics.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I have always thought Steven Wright is hilarious! Your class sounds awesome. :-)

Angela said...

I think it's totally cool that you and your hub are taking a get funny class together! In fact, I think the idea of a 'get funny' class is totally cool!

Tina Laurel Lee said...

Thank you, Kelly!

Kelly said...

Laura- I love that kind of humor, too!
Jonathan - Thank you, and I will certainly post any writing tips that I find in this class. I'm sure there will be some useful and fun stuff in there!

Kelly said...

Shannon- He is funny, you don't hear too much about him anymore though.
Angela - My husband and I are having a lot of fun with it. I'm glad he decided to take it with me!
Tina - You are very welcome!

Rhonda said...

I wish I could take this class too just to follow along with you and Chris bantering, of course I get that when Im around you both. Not many people get Chris' humor, hope he doesnt fail the class.

Anita said...

What an awesome idea! And funny is so much sexier than, well, sexy. I'd rather spend time with Jerry Seinfeld than George Clooney or David Beckham.

Sadly, I think almost everything is funny. Even when people are rude, I'm thinking, "Isn't it funny how people can be?"

My sister is a nurse and she says every time someone pukes, she has to force herself not to laugh. I know it sounds terrible, but the human condition is really very funny.

I hope you don't block me from your blog.

Suzanne Casamento said...

I love that you guys are taking a funny class! How cool are you?

And the idea about the observation notebook is awesome. I constantly take notes and keep them in purse. It's amazing what you notice when you remember to notice.

Enjoy!

Wendy (aka quillfeather). said...

That sounds so much fun!

We will expect great things from you in the future, Kelly, with your new-found comedic talents.... :)

Lori Degman said...

Thanks so much for sharing with us about your class! It sounds like a lot of fun! I love the notebook idea - I think I'll try it out.

The Steven Wright clip was great!

Elana Johnson said...

Dude, I so want to take a class like this! Sounds amazing.

Rena said...

Sounds like fun. Love the pic too!

Oh, and I nominated you for an award over on my blog tonight!

Kelly said...

Rhonda- What is funny, is that we are so competitive, so really want to see who gets the better grade!
Anita- I totally agree. Funny is sexier than sexy! I laugh easily as well; is it immaturity or easy going? I say a little of both. :)
Suzanne- We are so busy with the kids to actually do things out together, so this is fun!
Wendy - Thanks, I hope I don't disappoint! :)
Lori- It is at CLC, btw! And the notebook is a great idea. It'll be fun and useful to look back on.
Elana- It's fun, and I am actually learning, too! Double bonus!
Rena - Thank you!!

Sliding on the Edge said...

Thanks for the Wright laugh this morning, Kelly. I imagine you and your husband are having a fun time in that class. What a great idea!

BTW, I've bestowed The Sunshine Award upon you for just this kind of post. Check it out on my blog and pass it along if you like to others.

Kristi said...

This class sounds like so much fun!!!

Christina Farley said...

I totally love this pic! Don't you miss Seinfeld?

Solvang Sherrie said...

What a fun class to be part of! And how cool to be doing it with your husband -- both meanings intended :)