Monday, March 1, 2010

Five Questions with Mark McVeigh

Thanks to you for following The McVeigh Agency blog, I won a fifteen minute Skype chat with literary agent, Mark McVeigh. My chat was Friday morning. I was proud of myself to download Skype all by myself and figure it out. Then I practiced a Skype chat with Sharon Mayhew and prepared myself with my conversation with Mark. Thank you, my blogger buddies, for helping me prepare a list of questions. I had a long list to make sure I used my time wisely, but I didn't ask half of them as the time flew by!

Mark was friendly and so very helpful. I loved talking face to face with the web cam. It makes the conversation much more personal. We talked about query letters, email addresses (no headbanger@irock.com or crazy email addresses; be professional), Blondie, and more!


FIVE QUESTIONS WITH MARK MCVEIGH


1. What kind of books are getting contracts in the last few months?

MM: I've had the most luck with character driven middle grade novels, especially ones that have something unusually compelling about them--but not vampires!

2. Do you think magazine contributions are important when looking at a potential client?
MM: That really depends on the agent or the house. Honestly, unless you've been well published--with strong reviews or sales--the agent or editor isn't going to pay all that much attention to your background: the manuscript is what matters.

3. How important is web presence of a potential client to you?

MM: Web presence is very important. Everyone should start their media platform NOW through blogging, Twitter, and FaceBook. It's important to decide how much of the "real" you you want out on the web and how much is the "public, writer" you. It's a funny line to draw and, for me, it changes all the time. But remember--you are branding yourself for your public. A strong web presence is also great for connecting with other writers.

4. What is the most interesting or unexpected thing you have noticed during a Skype session?

MM: Probably the session in which my cat Ellen felt she needed to be a part of the call and kept walking in front of the screen, or even worse, turning to face me, tail held high, with you know what pointed directly at the webcam. Her editorial taste is impeccable, but she loses points when it comes to author care.
Here's Ellen's good side:
Photobucket


5. What is the last concert you went to and your favorite kind of music?
MM: I was more of a live music person when I was in high school and college, so the last period of my life where I went regularly was in the mid 80s. I loved the Ramones, Blondie, and X back in the day. I went to school in Boston, so we used to go to a place called the Rathskeller to see bands. I don't really like the crowds at arena concerts, so if you can imagine it, the last arena show I saw was The Police with The Go-Go’s as the opener in 1981! When I started clubbing in college I got into dance music, which I still like and used to go to a great alcohol-free club in NYC called Body & Soul. It opened at 2PM Sunday afternoon and closed at midnight, had the best DJs and the coolest crowd. Sadly, they lost their lease and closed. I have a pretty wide range of musical tastes: I like chamber music, Ella Fitzgerald, some opera, but also Madonna, Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Angie Stone. Actually, Angie Stone was the last concert I went to, two years ago. She was awesome! Living in NYC you see a lot of musicians--I see Debbie Harry on the street in my neighborhood every so often, she lives just down the block. And I see David Bowie in SoHo, which is kind of cool.

Very cool, indeed!

Sharon Mayhew posted a very thorough account of her converation with Mark in two parts: here and here! Mark will be holding another contest in April for more chances to speak with him. I highly recommend following his blog! More information about The McVeigh Agency can be found on their website.


Thanks again to Mark for sharing his time and expertise and for introducing me to Skype!

Also a thank you to Jonathon Arnston . I won a contest on his blog, and he made me this amazing cover of my latest manuscript! Pretty flippin' cool, huh?!


Photobucket