Friday, February 12, 2010

Poetry Friday

So I was at Starbucks last night for my writing critique group. Only two of the four ladies from our group could make it, so we decided to have a writing night. I've had a bit of a writer's block this week probably due to my anxiety about querying (see post below), so I thought it worked out well that I could force myself to sit and write. I haven't subbed to any magazines for a few months, so I wanted to work on some short stories and/or poetry.
I love parodies (also see post below). I have already written a Halloween picture book with parodies of nursery rhymes and songs. I decided to write a few Valentine's Day parodies for Poetry Friday today. As I was writing, this lovely song drifted over the speakers. I'm not really a sap or romantic, but I do think this is a beautiful song. The heart shaped light bulb went on over my head, and I decided to choose these lyrics for Poetry Friday today.

Here are the lyrics to "Love" by the talented John Lennon

Love is real, real is love,
Love is feeling, feeling love,
Love is wanting to be loved.
Love is touch, touch is love,
Love is reaching, reaching love,
Love is asking to be loved.
Love is you,
You and me,
Love is knowing,
We can be.
Love is free, free is love,
Love is living, living love,
Love is needing to be loved.

(Lyrics property of artist and label.)

Hear the song and watch the (PG13) video HERE.

Enjoy Valentine's Day with your loved ones. Mine will involve going to a birthday party with my daughter at a ceramics place then to my son's basketball game. Not very romantic, but I will certainly be with my Valentines.
Lee Wind is hosting the Poetry Roundup today! Go check out some more awesome poetry!

25 comments:

Bish Denham said...

Oh yes, that is a beautiful song by Lennon. Thanks for bringing it forward.

Laura Pauling said...

Querying is nerve wracking but also a time of hope. Enjoy the energy! :)

Jonathon Arntson said...

Oh, Kelly, I am in love with you!

Angela said...

Happy Valentine's Day right back at you. Thanks for sharing the love!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

That was so beautiful! The perfect choice for today. :-)

jama said...

Swoon. Made my day, Kelly. Lennon says it best :)!

Kelly said...

Bish and Shannon - It's a perfect love song!
Laura- That is so true that it is a time of hope. I love that!
Jon- Aren't you the sweetest blogger on the planet? :)
Angela - Are you making zombie Valentine's Day cards? ;0)
Jama- I knew you'd like this one!

MG Higgins said...

For some reason I skipped the mention of John Lennon and thought YOU'D written that poem. Heh. That's why it sounded a little familiar. Happy Valentine's Day!

Shelli said...

love is knowing you and me - love it!

Kim Kasch said...

I've spent about the last 20 years having those same kind of Valentine's Days. Always Basketball games, soccer meets, or tennis matches.

marthacalderaro said...

A great Valentine's selection! Thanks for posting, including the video link too. Bittersweet seeing clips of John Lennon--a fitting holiday to remember him on.

Solvang Sherrie said...

Happy Valentines!

Lilfix said...

I love that song...Happy Valentines Day!

Laura Evans said...

Kelly,

Thanks for sharing the Lennon song. I watched your Mr. Rogers' agent clip. (Somehow that sounds like an oxymoron because Mr. Rogers is one of the most nondeceptive people I know. He is one of my heroes.) Anyway, what a hoot!

Good luck, I hope an agent will pick you!

Laura

Kelly said...

MG- I wish I wrote that! ;)
Shelli - It's beautiful.
Kim- Yes, I have a feeling that's what we will be doing the next 15+ years!
Martha- I know -what a gentle, talented man taken from us.
Brenda and Sherrie - Have a great Valentines weekend too!
Laura - Thanks so much!

Kimberly Franklin said...

Good luck on your querying. I've had a bit of writers block this week and I have no excuse.

Love the song. : )

Anita said...

Love to you and yours on Valentine's Day...Husband and I are exchanging kisses only...no presents (because we just hauled home a new sink).

Let me know if you want me to read your query.

WordWrangler said...

I only recently heard that song for the first time. I hope you hear some good news from your dream agent, soon.

Heather Kelly said...

Kelly--thanks for the rev- up for Valentine's day. It's one of the best holidays due to the sweet crafts and hugs and kisses I get from the kids. I'll be sad when they get to old to make a Valentine for their mommy!

Kelly said...

Kimberly- Thank you and I hope we both have a great writing week next week!
Anita- We don't exchange gifts either usually on VDay, enjoy your new sink! And I will send it to you after I get some replies! Thanks!
Donna- Thanks! It's a great song!
Heather - The kids make Valentine's Day even sweeter!

オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rena said...

Have a great day, Kelly!

Tina Laurel Lee said...

I totally missed this. Do not know why! I love writing dates like that. Hope it worked through your writers block.

Nora MacFarlane said...

Lennon had such a way with words...

Your writer's group sounds like a fun one. Good luck with the querying!

Kelly said...

Thanks, Rena!
Tina and Nora - My writing group is wonderful for helpful critiques or just for support!