Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Rockin' with Critter and Grammy Awards Wrap Up

Critter is in DA HOUSE!
Critter is a traveling work of art by illustrator/artist Ian Sands. Christy from Christy's Creative Space started Critter's trek in blogland. He's been to North Carolina, Texas, South Korea, Massachusetts, and now he's here with me in Illinois! Of course I had to take him out on the town when he arrived.
Saturday night I took him to see my favorite local band, The Awful Truth. They were playing at a benefit for a burn camp called I Am Me. Critter schmoozed with the music lovers and took advantage of some photo ops (I swear that was the only time I had that dumb look on my face all night. I was singing along with the band or chatting with my rock posse, Ginny and Beth, the rest of the night). My husband wondered how I earned those beads, and it was because I made a donation to the charity (really!). Critter, my posse, and I rocked to some of our old time faves like "Under Pressure" and "Dancin' With Myself" plus new tunes like "Shake It."
For their second set, The Awful Truth came out dressed like Van Halen - wigs, spandex and all! They played a full set of VH tunes. My faves were "Panama" and "Hot for Teacher." Critter's fave was "And the Cradle will Rock" (he thought they were singing "and the Critter will rock").
Here's Critter crowd surfing.
Photobucket
And here's Critter getting a close up view of the band and hangin' by the speakers...

Photobucket

Rock on.

Grammy Wrap Up

Of course I watched the Grammy's on Sunday. But even a music lover like myself could not sit through it for four hours straight. I watched and fast forwarded through the first three hours on Sunday, then rewatched parts of it with my children Monday night and finished the rest of it when they went to bed. My kids recognized a lot of musicians and enjoyed seeing them perform. I am raising them to appreciate the art of music and the art of headbanging...

Here's my Grammy's Wrap Up. See the list of winners here. I am not going to list them all, who do I look like, Martha Quinn?

RANDOM THOUGHTS WHILE WATCHING THE GRAMMYS
1. I liked the Elton John/Lady Gaga collaboration. Except Elton forgot to wash his face before performing...
2. Excellent! I did not even know that Stephen Colbert was hosting!
Here's a few funny quotes from Mr. Colbert
"I did not even know they were dating," regarding Elton and Lady Gaga.
"I ran into the Jonas Brothers backstage, or I ran into one three times. I don't know."
"You may be the coolest people in the world. But your industry was saved by a 48 year old Scottish cat lady in sensible shoes." (Susan Boyle)
3. My kids could not decide who they wanted to win "Song of the Year." They liked Taylor Swift, Beyonce, and Lady Gaga. Beyonce won with "Single Ladies." She always has a cool performance, and she didn't disappoint tonight.
4. Pink is so not shy about her body. What did they dip her in (and I wonder who was splashed below)? What an amazing, beautiful, graceful performance! Highlight of the night! My 7 year old daughter did wonder if they wrapped her in toilet paper though...
5. Norah Jones looks awesome, love her dress! And there's Ringo looking cool for an old chap.
6. "Use Somebody" by Kings of Leon (who were a little drunk) won Record of the Year, which was one of my Nine of '09! See I actually do know my stuff...
7. SLASH! Now there's a rocker!
8.Justin Bieber looks like an eight year old next to Ke$ha. (who is 6'1", I looked it up after seeing her on stage).
9. Green Day wins Best Rock Album for "21st Century Breakdown." I have an old CD of theirs called Dookie.
10. Chris O'Donnell in all black. That conservative boy looks cute all rocked out.
11. Like the Taylor Swift/Stevie Nicks combination, though Taylor was a bit off key. My kids sang along to "You Belong With Me," so I enjoyed that!
12. The 3D tribute to MJ was cool, but would have rather seen old footage of him instead.
13. His poor kids, how hard this must have been for them to speak. The boy did well, but the poor girl seemed confused and nervous.
14. Bon Jovi played an oldie but goodie "Living on a Prayer" (I like to sing it on Rock Band), not my favorite band but a band that has stayed popular for twenty years!
15. The In Memoriam inexcusably left out The Rev, the drummer of Avenged Sevenfold, a platinum selling band, but had some other obscure performers mentioned...
16. Taylor Swift is one accomplished 20 year old.

Did you watch? What was your favorite part of the awards show?

32 comments:

Jonathon Arntson said...

You're too cool.

Kelly said...

Jonathon- You're too much. :)

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Alas, I did not watch. I'll just live vicariously through you, girl! :-)

C.R. Evers said...

LOL! Critter is really livin' the dream. Hanging out with the band and all!

I can tell that he's having a blast.

Kelly said...

Shannon- My small public service for bloggers. ;)
Christy - Critter says he misses you, but he is enjoying the Midwest!

lyfizgud said...

Kelly, you never disappoint me!!!! Your report on Critter's evening with The Awful Truth was thoroughly enjoyable...and I agree w/ you every step of the way w/ your Grammy wrap-up... :)

Kristi said...

I am loving the Critter pics! You really are too cool. How much fun was that?

I missed the Grammy's so I'm very thankful for your wrap up!

Tina Laurel Lee said...

Hey, I heard Michael Jackson and ACDC in yoga today and thought of you, Kelly. Thanks for the wrap up. And I have to thank, Critter, for supplying the photo op. Fun to see you out and about.

Kelly said...

Why, thank you, Sue!
Kristi- Critter is definitely making the rounds.
Thanks, Tina, and it makes me laugh that AC/DC was playing during a yoga class! That doesn't seem like relaxing music!

Nandini said...

Awesome to see Critter safe and *crowd surfing*!! We watched most of the Grammys too. Pink, Bon Jovi, Beyonce and Taylor Swift (yes, a little off key) were the favorite performances at our house. Great pictures, Kelly!!

Angela said...

HA I knew Critter would end up Rocking the tunes with you!

Shelli said...

i loved the elton john/lady gaga duet too!

Bish Denham said...

You rock Kelly! Go Critter. I actually watched some of the grammys too and both hubby and I were WOWED by Pink's performance.

Paul Michael Murphy said...

I didn't watch, but now I sort of feel like I did.

Elana Johnson said...

What a cute picture of you and Critter. I did watch the Grammy's and my favorite part was when Stevie Nicks sang with Taylor Swift. I love SN!

Lilfix said...

Wow! Critter is quite the traveler! Rock On, Critter!!!

Kelly H-Y said...

Critter ... what a riot!
I missed the Grammy show, so thanks for the wrap-up!!

Kelly said...

Nandini- If only I could have taken Critter to the Grammys, now that would have been cool!
Angela- Critter is now a Van Halen fan!
Shelli - Great duet with two very eccentric people!
Bish - Pink was absolutely mesmerizing!
Murph- but without the music...
Elana- My favorite Stevie Nicks song is Landslide.
Brenda and Kelly - He's havin' fun!

MG Higgins said...

Kelly, without your reporting I wouldn't know a thing about all this modern type of music and such.

I'm so glad you're rocking out with Critter! (Are you taking bribes for his next location?)

Anita said...

I completely missed the Grammys. I was really excited about the show and then I just...forgot. But I'm going to look for some of your favorite moments now. Thanks!

Kelly said...

MG- If Critter comes to Cali next, I'm coming with! :)
Anita - Gotta love the internet!

Laura Pauling said...

Alas, I didn't watch the Grammy's but I was babsitting my niece and nephew and they call my mom, Grammy - and she's with me. Does that count? :)

PJ Hoover said...

Go critter! Make sure you don't blow his ears out :)

The Wild About Writing Trio said...

Nice grammy summary. I'm a Taylor fan, but she is hit or miss when it's live on an award's show. She did great at the CMA's, but the other awards show where she perfomed with Def Leopard, not so good.

Love that Critter!

Keri Mikulski said...

Loved Critter crowd surfing. :)

Yes, I did watch the Grammy's and LOVED it.. :)

Carrie Harris said...

I love the fact that Critter was rocking out.

Suzanne Casamento said...

"And the critter will rock." You are hilarious!

He's like a badass Flat Stanley. Love it.

Kelly said...

Laura- That totally counts, especially if Grammy was singing!
PJ- The earplugs I put in his ears kept falling out! But he's fine. ;)
Wild- I agree, she's not always great live on tv, but I do listen with the kids to her songs on CD.
Keri and Carrie - Critter got a bit wild, but I kept him pretty much under control.
Suzanne - Badass Flat Stanley - too funny!

J.A. Palermo said...

I kept saying, "That's not Pink. Must be a body double. They're not showing her face." Then they showed her face. Color me wrong.

Rena said...

LOL @ Critter -- looks like he's having a blast.

wordwranglernc said...

That is so cool! Ian is in the same SCBWI chapter as I am. He is a fab artist. Christy is fab, too! :)

I love that Critter danced all night. He's such a party animal!

Christina Farley said...

So fun! Critter is sure busy having adventures. I love all the neat things you've shown him doing.