Friday, February 6, 2009

Poetry Friday

When I was a senior at the University of Illinois, I took a children’s literature course as part of my elementary education curriculum. This was one of my favorite courses in all of my college career. My professor, Violet Harris, was so intelligent, so friendly, and so sincerely excited about children’s books that I always looked forward to her class. One of my class projects was to make a compilation of poetry. My theme was Love Poems. I wrote out each poem and illustrated it on large index cards. I later had them laminated. I fondly remember Professor Harris asking me about my collection and if I was “in love.” I was in fact madly in love with my now husband. We were in the first year of our courtship at the time. She then went on to say that she read some of the poetry I compiled to her boyfriend over the phone at which the class giggled. Oh, yeah, I so did get an A!

Two of my selections for the compilation were from Eloise Greenfield’s book Honey, I Love and other love poems. Honey, I love this poetry book! I could not find a complete poem to link to of her complete poem but here is a snippet of the poem,
HONEY, I LOVE.

“I love
I love a lot of things, a whole lot of things
Like
When my cousin comes to visit and you know he’s from the south
‘Cause every word he says just kind of slides out of his mouth”

I highly recommend this book. What a great gift for a child (or adult) on Valentine’s Day!
Elaine at Wild Rose Reader is hosting Poetry Friday today. Stop by her site for more poetry links!

16 comments:

Suzanne Casamento said...

That's a great snippet from "Honey I love." I love thed words sliding out of his mouth. : )

poemhome said...

I love Shakespeare's love sonnets, especially this one:

SONNET 18
Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date:
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And often is his gold complexion dimm'd;
And every fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance or nature's changing course untrimm'd;
But thy eternal summer shall not fade
Nor lose possession of that fair thou owest;
Nor shall Death brag thou wander'st in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou growest:
So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this and this gives life to thee.

Jill Corcoran said...

Kelly,
I love Eloise Greenfield's work, her way with words. In fact, the deciding factor for my choosing my agent is that she represents Eloise Greenfield. It is amazing how many books Eloise has and continues to publish. Here is a link to her wonderful list of books:
Eloise Greenfield's Porfolio

Rena said...

That's really cool, Kelly. I like how you had to make a compilation of poems around one theme. I do that on my iPod with songs. I have a "love" playlist too. :)

janet said...

Sounds like a great project, and a great teacher! And I love the poem.

marthacalderaro said...

Kelly, thanks for your great posting! My daughter's birthday happens to be Valentine's Day (how cool is that?). I now know what book I will be giving her! I'm going to take your poll below, too ... as you saw on my blog, there's a music theme circling with me too!

Kelly said...

Suzanne- I love that, too!
Douglas- That is LOVEly one.
Jill-Lucky you! Thank you for the link.
Rena-You will have to play that in a week! I have a playlist of my hubby and my songs, too!
Thanks, Janet!
Martha- I hope she enjoys it!

Greg C said...

Well my experience was quite different. My professor didn't like my writing style and critisized me in front of the class so I dropped out of college. (I was pro military and he was anti-vietnam) I have recently started writing a short story and will soon try my hand at poetry again. Oh maybe that would be a nice valentine's day present for my wife.

susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
susan said...

I have given each of my girls this collection. They both value the collection above all books I've given them. I love, love, love this collection and this poem in particular. In fact, I was going to post the same.

I am so happy to learn that someone love this as much as I do. Ms. Greenfield is my favorite children's poet.

Kim Kasch said...

Oh....I love poetry. I even sent a manuscript of poetry I wrote to Random House when I was about...um...in 6th or 8th grade. Getting old ya'know the memory is the first to go.

I got back a long letter from an editor - and I threw it away. Wish I still had it :(

Meredith Teagarden(The Things we Carried) said...

Thanks for the recommendation on a great book for my daughter.

Kim Kasch said...

Hey, tag, you're it. Hope you'll come out and play.

Post the 4th picture in your folder and explain it.

J.A. Palermo said...

Kelly:

Thanks so much! I'm really glad I read this post before going to the bookstore this afternoon!

C.R. Evers said...

That's awesome!

Denise said...

You were teacher's pet in English class, weren't you? I can only recite one poem. Chester by Shel Silverstein
Chester came to school and said "Durned I growed another head". The teacher said "It's time you knowed. The word is grew instead of growed".