Thursday, February 26, 2009

This or That Thursday

Today’s This or That concerns a body part. An important body part. Especially to us writer folk. I’m talking about your hands. I am curious. Are you right-handed or left-handed?
Some famous left-handed writers include Lewis Carroll, Peter Benchley, Mark Twain, and H. G. Wells.
A soon to be famous right-handed writer includes Ben Esch (his debut book, Sophomore Undercover came out this week!).
A not so famous right-handed writer includes me.
The following presidents were/are left-handed: James A. Garfield, Herbert Hoover, Harry S. Truman, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, Barack Obama.
The following presidents were/are right-handed: the ones not on the above list.
These musicians were/are left-handed: Kurt Cobain (Nirvana), Phil Collins (Genesis), Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins), Crystal Gale, Jimi Hendrix, Glenn Frey (the Eagles), Paul McCartney (Beatles/Wings), Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin).
Did you know that Bart Simpson is left-handed? Cowabunga, dude! But not Homer. Doh!

Please use your right or left hand (or heck- use your toe!) to vote on the poll on the right if you are lefty or a righty and/or comment!Photobucket

13 comments:

jama said...

You just mentioned two of my all-time favorite people in this post: Obama and McCartney. Sigh.

I'm right handed, but my brother is a lefty.

Can you tell if someone is a lefty by their handwriting? I usually can.

sruble said...

Fun post! It's interesting to see who is right and left handed.

I'm right handed, but I was left handed for a while in college (after I broke my elbow). I still try to do things with my left hand once in a while ;)

lyfizgud said...

I love all of the details you offer, Kelly...fun poll :)

The Things We Carried said...

I always wanted to be left handed. had a friend in seventh grade who had the loveliest curve to her left handed writing!

Brenda said...

I'm an old southpaw...lefty...I'm the only one on both sides of my family as far back as anyone can remember...I'm also the blacksheep of the family, but that is a different this or that...grin...

Solvang Sherrie said...

I'm a righty. My brother, my son and my MIL are leftys. My parents said I was ambidextrous until I started school. Interesting that so many recent presidents are left handed. What does that mean...?

Suzanne Casamento said...

I'm right handed.

One of my girlfriends is left handed but was forced to write with her right hand as a child and as a result, she now has some crazy penmanship. Like some letters are uppercase, some lowercase, some cursive, some print.

Why didn't they just let her be?

C.R. Evers said...

I'm a righty, but I"ve been known to try to force myself to write with my left hand becuase I just thought it might be useful to be able to use both. But I haven't done that in a while.

BTW, Congrats! I pulled your name out of the tupperware bowl for The Emerald TAblet giveaway! e-mail me w/ your address and I'll get it out to you! Yay! :0)

poemhome said...

I'm left handed. I can't do anything right, but I am right-brained.

Kelly H-Y said...

Loved seeing the lists of lefties and righties ... I'm a lefty. Well ... for writing and eating! Everything else (like playing sports, using scissors, etc.) I do right-handed?! Strange!

Anlyledo said...

I'm a righty! My left-handed skillz are sorely lacking. : )

also - verification word is: damit. No joke! hahaha

Andy

Kim Kasch said...

Love the nail polish! I'm right handed.

Rena said...

I'm right-handed, but I write with a left-handed slant. I like to leave people confused, I guess.