Monday, March 8, 2010

Oscar Wrap Up

Ahhh, the glitz and the glamour of the Oscars. Ahhh, I love watching the Oscars in my pajama pants. What did you think of the Oscars? What was your movie pick? Which dress was prettiest? I seriously only saw Avatar and Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince in the last year so I'm not qualified to guess who should win. But I am qualified to make sarcastic comments and casual observations.


Eleven Random Thoughts While Watching the Oscars


1. I love Neil Patrick Harris, but I'm sorry to say I fast forwarded through his musical number (sorry, Barney!). I was just trying to be efficient. I don't have time to seriously sit through the whole dang show...


2. Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin are hilarious! Steve Martin is a favorite comedian of mine. He reminds me of my dad, with his quips and dry humor. They were funny all through the night. My favorite line as he waved his arm toward the audience introducing celebrities, "Here are the Inglorious Basterds.....and here is the cast of Inglourious Basterds."


3. Ryan Reynolds is lookin' good....but is it me or does he look just a little too manicured? Still looks pretty darn good though. I have to see Blind Side. I got all teared up just watching the promo. (He introduced the clip.)


4. Awesome John Hughes montage. He had so many memorable movies with memorable lines. I saw all those movies numerous times. My favorites were Vacation and Weird Science. I liked seeing the Brat Pack stars. Man, Judd Nelson looks rough... I thought I saw Demi Moore in the audience..why wouldn't she be in that ensemble?


5. Zoe Saldana is so tiny! Love her sparkly bodice!


6. OMG, a blue Ben Stiller! Perfect for Best Makeup. That guy will do anything!


7. Fun Horror Montage. I'm a chicken and do not watch much horror, but I saw many of the movies in the montage. I must have been braver when I was younger. Did you see the young Johnny Depp from Nightmare on Elm Street in it? There was a quick flash of Matthew McConaughey too (from the 1994 Return of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre which I rented right after seeing Matthew in A Time to Kill...). This was an awesome montage, but I don't get why they threw it in there for the Oscars...Anyone? Bueller?


8. Loved the James Taylor song during the Memoriam part. Very classy to have him sing and strum while showing the images.


9. Sam Worthington is Australian??!!


10. Gerard Butler and Bradley Cooper presenting together? The category must be Dudes who dated Jennifer Aniston. (Thanks, Alicia...)


11. Wow. Sandra Bullock won! She seems sincerely overwhelmed and thankful, but still cute and funny.


My best dressed pick is Maggie Gyllenhaal. I loved the bright color blue of her dress, and it fit her perfectly. Many pretty dresses, but nothing really wowed me this year though.

Best hair: Cameron Diaz. She hasn't had long locks in a while. Her longer hair looked pretty down and swept to one side.

Best makeup: Miley Cyrus. I thought her eyes looked gorgeous. The brown palette of eyeshadow rimmed with black and nude lips complemented her beige gown perfectly. Though she seemed to have too much foundation, overall the look was lovely.

Worst dressed: Mariah Carey. Yikes.


Here is a complete list of the winners. (Who do I look like? Billy Bush?)

28 comments:

TerryLynnJohnson said...

funny wrap up. I thought Steve Martin and Alec did a great job too.

Rena said...

I didn't watch. I wait for your wrap-up and compare it to what I see online. ;)

Mariah is just ... so out there. Geez. And I too, wondered why Demi wasn't in the Brat Pack line-up. Anyone know?

Jonathon Arntson said...

9. I know...it totally amplifies the hotness.

That's not all I care about on your post, but it pushes all other thoughts away.

Jonathon Arntson said...

The Hurt Locker, everyone see it, you'll feel ashamed at not having seen it earlier.

Tina Laurel Lee said...

Totally sad I missed Steve Martin and the Hughes Montage and a blue Ben Stiller.

Thanks for the wrap up!

Laura Pauling said...

I didn't watch much, but I am so glad that Sandra Bullock won. I can't wait to see the movie.

Debra L. Schubert said...

Ben Stiller was the highlight of the night. That guy just completely cracks me up. I watched the entire show and was bored for most of it. Sandra winning was epic - very awesome. She glowed all night. And, I agree - Cameron Diaz was stunning! Also, Michelle Pfeiffer and Demi Moore were spectacular. So glad the 40's and 50's are looking hotter and hotter these days. ;-)

Kimber said...

Teared up during the Hughes tribute. If anyone at all wanted to know what our lives were like at that time, all they had to do was rent a couple of John Hughes films. They are still my favorites (outside of Star Wars), and still represent what it was really like. Completely agree about the amazing blue dress Maggie G. wore, perfect and original.

Solvang Sherrie said...

I love Ben Stiller. And the John Hughes montage was great. (I didn't watch the show, just went to YouTube for those two :))

Other Brat Pack stars in the montage who didn't get up: Robert Downey Jr. (Weird Science) and Alec Baldwin (She's Having a Baby).

Angela said...

I KNEW I could come here for a recap of the Oscars seeing as I missed it! Thanks Kelly!

Bish Denham said...

I just couldn't stay awake long enough for the end....Knew I'd see who won what in the morning...Yawn.

Kelly said...

Terry - They were pretty funny!
Rena- She probably felt she was too good to be up there. I'm glad Matthew Broderick was up there at least!
Jonathon - It must be pretty darn good to beat Avatar!
Tina- I'm sure there are clips on Youtube if you want to see funny parts!
Laura - I want to see it too, a good one for the whole family.
Debra - Those ladies do still look stunning!
Kimber - I really want to watch those movies again. It's been years!
Sherrie - Right! I loved Downey Jr. in Weird Science!! (I'm not sure I saw the other movie...)
Angela - At your service, m'am!
Bish - I usually can't stay awake long enough, but I was too lazy to get up off the couch :).

lyfizgud said...

Don't forget ... you did see "New Moon" too :o)

Mariah Carey is STRANGE...don't know how else to describe her.

NPH's opening number was not good...I love Barney as much as the next person but it was BAD.

I loved Zoe Zaldana's (sp?) dress...that sparkly top w/ the ombre bottom...could've done w/o the slit, I think it would have been prettier w/o it, but it was my fave.

Worst dressed...Charlize Theron...what the HECK was she thinking?

LOVE Sandra Bullock...LOVE

I wish Anna Kendrick would have won best supporting actress...I think she has a very bright future...

Great Review, Kelly...as usual :o)

Kimberly Franklin said...

I didn't watch... but I loved hearing your wrap up. : )

And Ryan Reynolds... darn... drool... I can't believe I missed that!

storyqueen said...

I liked Sandra Bullock's dress best...and her hair looked great, too.

I read that she won a Razzie the night before, and actually showed up to accept it.

That is class.

Shelley

Suzanne Casamento said...

You are HILARIOUS! Bueller? ; )

I totally agree about NPH. I don't even get why they include a musical number like that. It didn't add anything to the show.

And I forgot about the blue Ben Stiller! OMG! I was cackling at the TV. He killed me.

And as for Mariah Carey - I'd like to see her wear more clothing. Period.

lyfizgud said...

Interesting article on the John Hughes tribute:

http://oscars.movies.yahoo.com/blog/70-a-tribute-to-john-hughes?nc

Kelly said...

Sue- Doh! How could I forget New Moon?! I checked out the article..interesting!!
Kimberly - Yes, Ryan is easy on the eyes...
Storyqueen - Sandra does seem classy and also so down to earth!
Suzanne - I second that Mariah should wear more clothing (or less tight for Pete's sake!)

Anita said...

I only watched a little because I am sick, sick, sick. I saw James Taylor in concert at Red Rocks. Also, Husband had a military physical on Sunday, and before he left, I thought of you as I used a pen to circle a couple freckles on his back that I thought looked suspicious...you know us and the back thing.

Kelly said...

Oh, Anita, I hope you feel better. It's not easy for Moms to be down and out!
And I hope you used that pen to draw a cool design on his back while you were at it. :)

Kim Kasch said...

I only watched a couple minutes - love Sandra Bullock and had to watch that.

MG Higgins said...

I knew you'd be doing an Oscar's wrap up!! That's why I didn't watch. Thank you for your keen and honest observations.

Anita said...

KELLY: I was going to do hearts, but I knew Husband would be upset, so I did boring old circles. I'm at about 68% wellness now...on the road to recovery.

Sharon Mayhew said...

Kelly--Great thoughts! I love Neil Patrick, Steve and Alec too. :) I knew we were kindred spirits. Are you a Chevy Chase fan?

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Awesome wrap-up,Kelly! I love Steve Martin, too, and I totally wanted Sandra Bullock to win. :-)

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

i loved steve and alec. sandra bollock was so cute.

Sliding on the Edge said...

Alec B. totally eclipsed his co-stars, something nobody does to Meryl, especially. I really went for The Hurt Locker. It grabbed my heart, but Sandra Bullock has my attention for anything she does.

I'd be a very bad Academy judge. I'd choose them all.

wordwranglernc said...

You are the QUEEN of all things media, my dear. I'm impressed, AGAIN! :)

Nice round-up of the Os. I don't usually enjoy watching that show, but Steve Martin made it worth the time for me. Fabulous!