Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Tune for Tuesday

2008 was a good year for music and concerts. I attended eight concerts this year-Queensryche/Don Dokken, Duran Duran, Blondie, Cruefest with Motley Crue/Buckcherry/Papa Roach/Sixx AM/Trapt, Great White/LA Guns/Nelson, Foo Fighters/Three Days Grace, Buckcherry/Shinedown/Saving Abel, and Smashing Pumpkins. I also downloaded lots of cool songs for my Ipod.

My top 8 rock singles for 2008 are the following:

8. "G.L.O.W." by Smashing Pumpkins
7. "Saints of Los Angeles" by Motley Crue
6. "Love Remains the Same" by Gavin Rossdale
5. "Long Road to Ruin" by Foo Fighters
4. "Human" by the Killers
3. "Inside the Fire" by Disturbed
2. "Afterlife" by Avenged Sevenfold
1. "Pork and Beans" by Weezer

Honorable Mention pop songs are "Disturbia" by Rihanna and "4 Minutes" by Madonna/Justin Timberlake.
What was your favorite song of 2008?
Today’s Tune for Tuesday is "Long Road to Ruin" by Foo Fighters, number five on my list. Foo Fighters are one of my favorite groups. I have seen them in concert a few times, most recently in August for the Harley Davidson 105th anniversary celebration. Pictured are my mom, my sister and I at that concert. If you notice the tshirt I am wearing, you will see that shirt featured in the next video. "Long Road to Ruin" isn’t my favorite song from the 2007 Foo album ("The Pretender" is), but it is pretty good. The video, like many Foo Fighter videos, is original and funny. At the end of the video, the lead singer, Dave Grohl, crosses his hands in front of his face at the ending notes of the song. When we are in the car and hear this song, the whole family mimics the hands when the song ends. You will see what I mean when you view the video.

Check out Long Road to Ruin. Saul Goode!

11 comments:

Kim Kasch said...

Great family photo of all the girls. Love that your Mom goes too.

Gottawrite Girl said...

Kelly, I have been away for too long over xmas break, but hello again! I don't know music so well, as I often say, but I do know dance. And I LOVE that Rihanna! She absolutely holds my very-still attention!!! And, Smashing Pumpkins, I love... highschool memories, for me!

Hope you are well!

C.R. Evers said...

You always look so happy! Great picture and great songs! :0)

Christy

Rena said...

Great picture and cool song. I guess I'm just getting old because I'm starting to enjoy the songs more than watching videos. One of my favorite bands, Powderfinger, is like that for me.

You always have such interesting songs, Kelly! Thanks!

Suzanne Casamento said...

I'm impressed with your concert list. You see A LOT of shows!

My favorite song of 2008 is Modest Mouse's Ocean Breathes Salty.

It somehow psyches me up and calms me down simultaneously. Odd.

Solvang Sherrie said...

Omigosh, I don't think I went to a single concert this year! Your list is so impressive, but I don't think I've taken in that many concerts since college...and sadly, that was a long time ago. Glad I can hear about them from you :)

Solvang Sherrie said...

I forgot to say my song! It's kind of dorky and it's been way overplayed, but I really fell in love with "Love Song" by Sara Bareilles from the first moment I found it on my husband's Mac. It came free with his computer and I had to go download the whole cd! I play the piano so I just love the chord progressions -- so simple but so catchy!

poemhome said...

You're so lucky!
I shouldn't admit this, but in a younger year I heard James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, Carol King, Procol Harum, The Young Rascals, The Flying Burrito Brothers, and W.H. Auden (Hey, he's a poet!) all at my alma mater, Queens College.

slhastings said...

Just wishing you a Happy New Year! Sorry I've been MIA.

Kelly said...

Kim- My mom attends a lot of concerts with me;surprisingly we have similar tastes in music!
GGirl- Rihanna is awesome, she is beautiful and talented. And the Pumpkins had a new song last year!
Thanks, Christy and Rena! I (obviously) love my music! I checked out Powderfinger's website, pretty cool!
Suzanne- I saw Modest Mouse on SNL I think last year...they were pretty good!
Sherrie- After I read your comment, I was singing "Love Song' around the house to the point of my son calling me weird :0)
Douglas- That is a lot of great artists in a year. I grew up listening to Carole King on my mom's 8track. Over and over and over! And James Taylor is such a wonderful classic.
Sam- Great to see you on the blogosphere! Hope you are doing well.

Denise said...

The Three Days Grace/Foo Fighters was my favorite concert in 2008! Thanks for getting the tickets.