Friday, January 9, 2009

Poetry Friday


I have had babies on the mind lately. No, I’m not pregnant, but I have a few people close to me that are in their third trimester! Tomorrow I am attending a cousin’s baby shower. I’m so excited to visit with the family, and see what cute little things are in store for this sweet precious one. Another cousin that is due soon will also be there. As I write this, a friend could be heading to the hospital for baby number four. I adore babies. I treasured the time I had when my children were newborns. I loved just gazing at them, snuggling them, feeding them. I also remember that anxious time waiting to meet that special little person.
This haiku is for Amy, Liz, and Ginny (plus Megan and MK, too!).

Anxious mom awaits.
Flutters whisper in morse code,
“I’ll be here soon, Mom.”

Below is a picture of me when I was pregnant with my third child, JD. This picture was taken about a week before he was born. Can you tell he was a big baby? 9 pounds, 13 ounces! It’s not just the horizontal stripes that make me look huge in this picture!Photobucket



Today’s Poetry Friday is being hosted by Picture Book of the Day. Check out the fab links!

15 comments:

Ann E. Bryson said...

Lovely Haiku, Kelly. You look fantastic pregnant!

I hope your friend doesn't have to battle the snowy roads to have her baby today!

Gottawrite Girl said...

Me, too, with babies on the mind. One of my friends just gave birth, and another is about to! I am settling in with Ruby the psycho-puppy, in place of baby...

: )

Kim Kasch said...

Nice poem :) And Red Sled - even a cute name.

My first babe was 9 lbs 8ozs - so I know...

sruble said...

Fun haiku; great picture!

adrienne said...

I go totally sappy around babies, too. We have three new babies among friends and family... but they live far from us. At least I can shop for them :)

You look awesome in the picture!

Suzanne Casamento said...

You look gorgeous pregnant! Although 9 lbs 13 ounces is a very scary number.

I think this is baby season. One of my BFFs is due Tuesday.

Enjoy the fun! : )

poemhome said...

Was that picture taken
in MIDDLE school?

Rena said...

Oh, what a great picture! (& poem too!)

Fiddler said...

Great haiku, Kelly--thanks for sharing. My babies were huge, too, and I think 37 weeks was about my cutoff for any more photo ops--too many people asking if I was having twins (I wasn't). You looked great!

Nandini said...

Lovely poem! I remember those days, how quickly they pass!!

Good luck to all your mums-to-be and thanks for visiting my blog :0)

Karen (Kiki) Hamilton said...

Love your haiku and you look pretty great for having a 9 pounder+ in there! I just remember my last month of pregnancy took about a year! But oh so worth it!

I love all the poetry you've posted. You've inspired me. One of my books has quatrains (four line poems) maybe I'll post a few...hmmm :-)

Solvang Sherrie said...

Great picture! Love the poem too :) My son was 9 pounds, 3 ounces and he was my first -- painful!!

C.R. Evers said...

Love it!

Love the picture too! Heck, I was bigger than that and all my babies were just a little over 5lbs. When the doc weighed my 1st baby I was certain there must have been a twin hiding in there somewhere, but crap! There wasn't.

Anyway, you were as gorgeous 9 months preggo as you are now! You lucky duck!

Great picture!

Chritys

Elliah A. Terry said...

Wow! Big baby.

I love the "morse-code" line.

Denise said...

You do birth some big babies.