Friday, May 29, 2009

Poetry Friday

Today’s poem is an original by my 9 year old son and me. Justin Matott and Terra are holding a contest on their blogs for a gross food combination poem. See the details at Justin’s blog and Terra’s blog. My son had fun thinking up silly food combos. Anyone want to come over for a sundae?

Here’s our entry:


HOW TO MAKE A BRUSSELS SPROUT SUNDAE

Slice the banana.
Line up each sprout.
Pour the hot fudge
With a scream and a shout.
Dot it with mustard.
Ploppity plop plop.
Your sundae’s complete
With a cherry on top!

----by Kelly Polark with help from J-Man Polark, age 9

I also have a word puzzle in this month’s issue of Stories for Children magazine titled “Into the Telescope.” Check it out here!
Today’s poetry roundup is at Live, Love, Explore!

19 comments:

Big Plain V said...

Rock on, J-man! I am so gonna try that recipe for lunch today.

Color Online said...

I love coming here! You are always fun. Thanks, Kelly.

Angela said...

That is just so awesome. Love that you can share this with your kiddo.

adrienne said...

Oh, what fun!
I knew someone who actually made green bean daquiris. I think a few too many strawberry ones might have inspired that creation...

PJ Hoover said...

Congrats on the word puzzle! That's way cool!

Tabatha said...

Great puzzle! And fun poem too.

Janet said...

Love the poem -- and how cool that you and your son worked on it together.

I'll pass on having a taste, though.

Irene Latham said...

Fun poem, but i will pass on the sundae. :) What a great thing to do with your son!

Bish Denham said...

Excellent puzzle! And...I must rush right out and try that sundae.

Mary Lee said...

I love brussel sprouts. Not so sure about a brussel sprout sundae...

(fun poem, though!)

Solvang Sherrie said...

Cute poem! J-man is following in your footsteps :^)

Food poems are always fun. Greg Pincus wrote a great one about a spaghetti farm that just cracked my kids up.

I'm going to check out your word puzzle. Congrats on that!

The Wild About Writing Trio said...

Kelly, you and J-Man did a great job on that poem! A Congrats to you on your word puzzle publication in Stories for Children!

Kim

Terra said...

AWESOME! Thanks for playing along! I will link it up tonight! Anyone can enter and no limit on the number of entries so keep em coming!

Keri Mikulski said...

Love it! :) Great stuff.

Elliah A. Terry said...

gross!

The Things We Carried said...

Very cute! That has to make a reader laugh :).

Suzanne Casamento said...

OMG! I LOVE that poem! Though I must say that even though I love all those ingredients, together, they would be SO gross! Nice work!

Kelly H-Y said...

LOVE it!!!! And, congrats too!

Justin Matott said...

Hey, now that poem has some good beat to it!
Keep them coming! Awesome, thanks, Justin