Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Tune for Tuesday/Memorable Memorial Day

17 years ago yesterday I met my husband. We actually attended the same high school and knew of each other (he’s a year ahead of me), but never spoke until that fateful Memorial Day.
It was the summer before my senior year at college (Go Illini!). I went to a local party with my friend, Mary. She told me to go because her boyfriend had a cute friend, Mark, that she wanted to set me up with. My husband decided to go because he thought the girl throwing the party was cute. Mark never showed up to the party, but thankfully my hubby did. My hubby was also friends with Mary’s boyfriend (he was our best man, and hubby was his best man), so we double dated at first. Mark was in our wedding party, too! Mary and hubby’s friend didn’t work out, but I’m glad to say we had an amazing first summer together. We then had a long distance relationship while I finished my last year at college, and he attended grad school. We were engaged less than a year after we met, married two years later. And here we are many moons, three kids, three dogs later. So thank you, Mary, for making me go to that party with you!
The picture above is a page from my college photo album. The top pic is the very first picture taken of my husband and me. Well, second. When we met, hubby had a picture of his friend and him from his junior prom on his mirror. Guess who is right behind them in the picture dancing with her prom date? Yes, me. He had a picture of his future wife on his mirror ever since high school…
The other two pics are from my surprise 21st birthday party. Don’t I look surprised?! (I was!)
Today’s tune is from that summer of 1992. Listen to Matthew Sweet’s “Girlfriend.” This song makes me smile. It is also featured on Guitar Hero 2.
“I want to love somebody. I hear you need somebody to love. Oh, I want to love somebody. I hear you’re lookin’ for someone to love.”

15 comments:

Anita said...

I love this story! And it's so cool about how he had that photo with you in the background.

When I was almost five, my family put a concrete basketball court in our backyard and everybody put their handprints in the cement. We put the date on, too, which turned out to be my future hubby's fifth birthday. For some reason, it reminds me of your photo thing, but my story is not quite as cool!

Your earrings are great!

C.R. Evers said...

awwwww! And those pictures are fabulous. You haven't aged one bit!

Awesome, and congratulations!

Christy

Bish Denham said...

Sweet. I love when a plan comes together!

Sliding on the Edge said...

So your memorial day always has to be extra special. Very sweet story.

adrienne said...

What a great story! That's so funny that he had a picture of you on the mirror.

Keri Mikulski said...

Too cute! Love the story and the pics. :)

Kelly H-Y said...

You guys are ADORABLE!!!! So fun to hear such a sweet story and see those great pictures!!!

Solvang Sherrie said...

GREAT photos! "My Studly Boyfriend" -- love it!!

Congratulations on celebrating 17 years together!

And great tune -- I love Matthew Sweet!

Suzanne Casamento said...

Hey now, I think there may be something to the fact that you were on your hubby's mirror for years before you met. Think about it, if you apply the same theory behind vision boards and the law of attraction, he looked at your picture every day, therefore attracting you into his universe...

Ooo la la.

Rhonda said...

Chris, what a Hottie!!!! Great Story, I love romance stories.

Big Plain V said...

Great story.

So it was the studliness that first attracted you to him? Cuz I was told it was a guy's smile.

Kim Kasch said...

Fun photos!!! And I love the animation mixed with the song.

Kelly said...

Anita-That's a good story, too! And my favorite earrings have always been hoop earrings (except when I had infants or toddlers that pulled!).
Christy, Bish, C.Lee,Adrienne, Keri, Kelly - Thanks :)
Sherrie-That whole Matthew Sweet CD is awesome!
Suzanne-I think I'm going to put some publishers names on my mirror now...
Rhonda- I just showed him these pics, he was impressed how buff he was ;)
V-Yes, studliness is key!
Kim-I thought that was cool, too!!

Carrie Harris said...

Awesome! I love the scrapbook! Happy anniversary to you both!

Rena said...

What a sweet post! I loved hearing how you met your husband. Great pictures too!