Monday, May 18, 2009

Tune for Tuesday

Today’s Tune for Tuesday is from a band I’ve seen four times in nine months and have never had it featured in my weekly segment here. Dude, what am I thinking?!
Buckcherry is a band formed in 1995 and fronted by Josh Todd. They have had four studio albums. Hits include raunchy songs that I can’t even believe play on the radio, even the edited version (“Crazy B…” and “Too Drunk”). Other hit songs that don’t include the f-bomb are “Rescue Me,” “Sorry,” and my favorite, “Everything.” Their song, “Sorry,” is even on my son’s Kidz Bop CD. I found this funny as their concerts are so not for children (but I quite enjoy them!). There’s even a chipmunk version of this song!
Today’s tune is Buckcherry’s latest single from their Black Butterfly album (it is also my favorite song on this album). Josh’s distinctive vocals sing “Don’t Go Away."



Watch more Black Butterfly videos on AOL Video




Speaking of voice, my fourth grade son brought home a worksheet on creating VOICE in writing. I thought it was very interesting, as I do not remember ever hearing the term “voice” in my grade school years. I was very excited that he was already being exposed to this important element of writing.
Here’s a few tips shared in his classroom (from a teacher resource book called Traits of Good Writing).
Allow the reader to sense a real person
Author’s personality comes through in the writing
Natural rhythm
Write sincerely, with confidence
Convey honesty
Bring the topic to life

There’s more, but I now only have 2/3 of the paper as it has become crumpled and torn after sitting on my desk for a week!

14 comments:

C.R. Evers said...

That is a good song. His voice is so smooth and smokey. Nice!


And how cool that kids are already hearing about "voice" in school!

christy

Tee Brown said...

*Voice*...in the fourth grade? Phenomenal!

I, too, have noticed my 7th grader being exposed to some creative writing terms and techniques that I don't remember learning until I joined SCBWI.

Hooray for this next generation of writers!

Bish Denham said...

Cool song. He does have a nice voice. I'm going to be exposed to new music coming over to your blog, Kelly.

It's awesome that kids are getting exposed to writing techniques so early!

Keri Mikulski said...

Writing instruction has come a long way. It's so different and I love it. :)

Nice song! ;)

Solvang Sherrie said...

I've never heard of Buckcherry until I "met" you, but I really like the song you posted. I can see why you like this band!

As for voice, that's cool that your son is learning about it already. I have to say, my kids are learning a LOT more at a younger age than I ever did. Or maybe I just forgot it all?

DebraLSchubert said...

Cool voice, plus he's cute. Learning about "voice" in the 4th grade? Freaking brilliant!

Kelly H-Y said...

Wow ... that is great advice on 'voice'! I don't remember hearing that kind of information in school either!

Rena said...

Rats, the video is being slow for me right now, so I'll have to come back to it later. I love the title of the album -- Black Butterfly.

That's really neat kids are learning about voice in school. I don't know any adults (other than my writer friends) who'd even know what that term meant.

Paul Michael Murphy said...

Yup--a lot of writing teachers instruct using the "six traits" of writing. They are: content (ideas), organization, word choice, sentence fluency, voice, and mechanics.

I find voice the hardest to teach. Some kids (usually the biggest talkers) naturally have it and others seem to have none at all. I think the biggest thing is making them aware that it's good to sound like anything other than a textbook.

The Things We Carried said...

Wow, I am impressed with your son's teacher.

adrienne said...

I'm impressed with the kind of writing instruction kids get now!

Suzanne Casamento said...

Wow. If I'd learned about voice in fourth grade I probably would have been published by high school! Good for your son. How exciting.

But seriously, The Chipmunks covering Buckcherry? Heh heh heh.

OMG - my word verification is "butlid." I'll stop typing now.

Christina Farley said...

I'm impressed with your son's teacher. Sounds like he's off to a great start already!

Warren Baldwin said...

I linked here from "The Things We Carried." I liked your description of your purpose for writing - for children and families. I attempt to produce material for families, too, on Family Fountain. Please visit if you can.

Good idea here about the writing instructions. I will pass this along.

You have a good blog. wb