Friday, May 8, 2009

Poetry Friday

My favorite types of poems are witty, lighthearted, and humorous. I usually write poems that rhyme or are a little zany, but sometimes writing personal poetry is therapeutic for me.
Today’s poem stems from my personal experience with my child. My daughter was diagnosed with epilepsy almost three years ago. She would have seizures occasionally during the night and is currently on anticonvulsant medication. These episodes affected me greatly. It is horrific to see your child in convulsions and so out of control like that. Also, since it was during the night, I would constantly check on her and rarely slept. I do have a baby monitor on every night still so I can listen if she has a seizure. I am thankful that they are during the night though so my husband and I can deal with it alone, and she is safe in her bed during them. She doesn’t remember them, so I am also glad that other than taking medicine, she is not affected too much by it. Even better news, she has not had a seizure in almost a year!
Anyway, this intro is way longer than the actual poem I am sharing today. My cinquain is below. Anastasia Suen is hosting Poetry Friday today at Picture Book of the Day . Next week it's here! Being a mom is the best thing I've ever done, I hope all you moms have a fabulous Mother's Day!


SEIZURE IN THE NIGHT
I gasp.
Epilepsy
Grabs her body with force.
Her eyes look vacant. Mine scream in
Terror.

---Kelly Polark


NaPiBoWriWee Update
My 7 Picture Books in 7 Days challenge has come and gone. Unfortunately I had an extremely busy week and did not even finish ONE picture book. I did however write 10 poems for my newest poetry collection and wrote a few pages of another picture book idea. I am glad I participated, because I would have gotten ZERO picture book writing done this week if I didn’t have that goal. So YAY to Paula Yoo for challenging me and so many others, and YAY me for getting some writing done during this crazy week!

17 comments:

Angela said...

Epilepsy is so scary. Hugs!

adrienne said...

That is frightening. Glad things are under control. :)

slhastings said...

Wow, I can't even imagine! I, too, am glad things are under control.

jama said...

Scary stuff! Glad things are under control for now.

Sliding on the Edge said...

I so identified with that feeling of terror and helplessness, Kelly. It's good that Moms come in the "terribly tough" variety.

Keri Mikulski said...

Yikes.. Sending hugs.

Happy Mother's Day!!! :)

DebraLSchubert said...

Intense. Thanks for sharing.

Kelly H-Y said...

That is so frightening, Kelly ... so glad to hear she hasn't had an episode in a year ... a very good thing indeed. Your poem sums up perfectly, in just a few words, what I can only imagine it must be like, as a parent, to have such a horrible thing happen to your child.
Happy Mother's Day to you!

Paul Michael Murphy said...

Why must you frighten me on a Friday?

Rena said...

Great poem, even though it's for something so frightening. (((HUGS)))

Solvang Sherrie said...

My brother gets seizures so I can totally relate. Celebrate your seizure-free year and have a great mother's day :^)

Bish Denham said...

Oh my...That IS scary and your poem captures your emotions beautifully. On the up side, I have a cousin, a professional jazz musician, who has lived with epilepsy since he was 8 years old, keeping it controled with meds. He's now in his late 60s.

Be strong.

Angela said...

Very powerful poem.

I think you can do the picturebook challenge any week you want - we are here to support you!

sruble said...

That is so scary, but it's great that the medicine is helping and your daughter hasn't had a seizure in a year. I hope that she continues to be seizure free!

NaPiBoWriWee - Sometimes I think that challenges like this, NaNoWriMo, Blog Every Day, etc. are good even if you don't reach the goal that they set, because you've done more than you would have. They're even more helpful if you can make your own goal with what you need/want to do, whether it fits into the theme of the challenge or not. That's just my 2 cents on the challenges. The most important thing is making progress, right?

BTW, 10 new poems and a few pages of a picture book, during a really busy week, are a huge accomplishment, especially if they were goals that you already had before the challenge came along. Yay :)

Jone said...

Gripping terror...I cannot imagine.Thanks for sharing.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Kelly, what a scary, difficult thing to live with. I can't imagine! Your poem does a great job of communicating the terror and anguish. I think the loss of sleep from anxiety must make it even harder. So glad the meds keep it under control. ((hugs)) Happy Mother's Day every day!

The Wild About Writing Trio said...

Your poem definitely portrays how terrifying epilepsy can be. Hugs!

Congratulations on the progress you made during Picture book Writing Week.