Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Tune for Tuesday/I Heart our Earth

Tomorrow is Earth Day. What will you do to celebrate? Me? My family will continue to do what we are doing and spread the word. I’ll also wear a cool Come Together Earth shirt that I won on Katie Darby’s blog!
What has my family been doing? I’m proud to say our large recycling bin is more full each week than our similar sized garbage can. My husband replaced all of our light bulbs with the energy efficient CFL ones. We also have an energy efficient furnace and air conditioner. We wore sweatshirts in the winter and turned our thermostat down (I’m still wearing a sweatshirt to bed, it’s cold at night!). I switched to nontoxic, ecofriendly cleaning supplies (like Green Works). I bring reusable bags to the grocery store. My husband has started a vegetable garden. Hubby just brought used batteries, old oil, and other hazardous used materials to a SWALCO (Solid Waste Agency) drop off on Saturday instead of carelessly throwing them away. They offer chemical waste drop offs and electronic drop offs. We turn off lights when not in a room (my kids have trouble with this one!). Not only is this all earth friendly, but we have saved money, too. I’m really not saying all of this to toot my own horn (hee, hee…I said toot!), but to show examples of how you can go green, too!
What can my family still do? I still need to remember to unplug items when they are not in use. We also have an SUV. With the current economy, we are not ready to trade it in, but I would love to get a hybrid next. Also, taking cool showers is greener, and I likes me hot showers in the cold Midwest winters. Composting is good for our Earth, too!
Kim Kasch has an Earth Friendly Friday each week on her blog. Brenda has Tuesday’s Green Living Tips. Check ‘em out!
In other news, a big thank you to Christina Farley for nominating me for the Lemonade Stand award! I appreciate it, Christina! I also won a blog contest at Murphblog for recruiting his twentieth follower! Thanks, Murph (and SL Hastings for playing along!)!

Today’s Tune for Tuesday is “Rise Today” by Alter Bridge. Alter Bridge is a band made up of musicians formerly from the band, Creed, along with singer Myles Kennedy,
Take a listen. Let’s rise today and change this world.



Alter Bridge - Rise Today -

16 comments:

Kim Kasch said...

I love the title of this post "I Heart Our Earth"

The more people that get involved in recycling - the better

:)

Julia said...

I reduce/reuse/recycle, put in energy-saving bulbs, try to ride my bike or walk on evenings/weekends (I have a paid for Jeep and don't want to take on an additional car payment - altho' like you, I'd love a hybrid!)

This year I plan on growing more of my own food and buying local, too. Supporting the Farmer's Market is a good thing & buying at Thrift Shops (not just for the money-savings, but that's part of the reusing!)

Great post! Happy Earth Day (tomorrow)
Julia from Verla's

Ello said...

I do everything you do too! I feel good! The nice thing is that our kids are at least learning that recycling and thinking about the earth should be second nature for them.

Sliding on the Edge said...

I'm walking everywhere and leaving my lovely Prius in the garage. Better do all my town business today because it will take over an hour to walk there. Planning right now.

Also am posting a link to your post! Earth Day is important. Thanks.

Megan said...

Great post Kelly! We try to do the small things too...although I have to confess that we always forget to bring our reusable bags! I need a better system, I guess :o)

Kelly said...

Kim-I agree!
Julia-I love farmers markets!
Yay Ello!
Thanks Sliding, and I'm impressed that you have a Prius!
Megan-I just did that on Sunday, but I keep a few reusable bags in the car just in case!

Kelly H-Y said...

Love it!! All such great things you're doing ... we're trying to do the same things you mentioned! Now ... if we could just remember to BRING the reusable bags into the store 100% of the time, we'd be well on our way! :-)

sruble said...

Good green ideas for Earth Day, Kelly. Not sure about the cold showers though. We rented a house in December where you had to take cool showers or the hot water would run out and you'd be taking an ICE cold shower. Since we got home, I have been loving the hot water. But I'll try - cooler water is better for your skin too, or so I've heard.

Lots of places in NYC have heat you can't control. Luckily our apt. is not one of them. I know a lot of people that keep windows open and/or run the AC in the winter because they have to (I used to live in an apt like that). Think of all the $ and energy that could be saved if they let people control their own heat!

Keri Mikulski said...

Happy Earth Day, Kelly! Great post. :)

Sliding on the Edge said...

Thanks, Kelly. Appreciate your adding my blog. Always enjoy stopping in for a few tunes on your site.

Rena said...

Great post, Kelly. Funny how you mentioned turning the lights off is hard for your kids sometime. I have a daughter who is the opposite. I can walk out of the room for a second and she'll come in and snap that light off before I get back. Drives me crazy, but she probably saves us a bundle.

Mary Witzl said...

Good for you!

I'm a long-term recycler myself and always looking for ways to live a greener, less wasteful lifestyle. Our water is solar-heated now, but we live in a block of flats where we are forbidden to have compost piles. I feel almost ill throwing away my vegetable peelings and fruit peels instead of turning them into good, rich mulch...

Colorado Writer said...

Happy Earth Day...Wow! You are doing it. I can never remember the bags!

Anonymous said...

your blog has been infected by the chicken virus. you caught it off christy's blog.

sorry,

mr. chicken

C.R. Evers said...

I"m too frazzled to do anything for earth day. I will, however, buy my critique buddies book on earth friendly projects in May and do a book giveaway. That's as good as I can do right now.

C.R. Evers said...

Hey Kelly,

I'm pretty sure that Mr. Chicken is my impish critque buddy, Ian Sands. There's no need to worry. I'll go wring his little chicken neck for scaring you.

Christy