Friday, April 17, 2009

Poetry Friday

It’s National Library Week! Do you love your library? I do! With our bookshelves bulging, it is nice to take the kids to the library, read, and take the books back. I like to check out the childrens’ magazines and check out poetry books for myself as well. Once in a while I’ll even check out a book for adults! A few days ago I took my four year old to the library I went to when I was a child. I frequent that one and the one in my current town. The towns are close to each other, as I didn’t move far away from my home town. I’m crazy and adventurous like that.
The fabulous Cynthea Liu is having a Library Lovin’ Challenge. Stop by her site to comment, and she will give fast hard cash to a library! Her goal is 1000 comments! You can also receive a signed bookplate for her next book Paris Pan Takes the Dare and a chance to win the book, too!

I LOVE THE LIBRARY by Kelly Polark

Silent reading.
Lots of seating.
I like the comfort of the library.

Moms shushing.
No rushing.
I like the calm of the library.

Aisle browsing.
Quiet carousing.
I like the variety of the library.

Patrons learning.
Easy returning.
I like the value of the library.

Internet, magazines, DVDs.
Can we go to the library, please?
I love everything about the library!


Becky's Book Reviews has the Poetry Roundup today!

15 comments:

Suzanne Casamento said...

Great poem! Have you submitted poetry to Kite Tales? I think this poem would be a nice fit and there's not better audience than a zillion SCBWI memebers.

Kelly H-Y said...

Love the poem!! :-) You should submit that to a magazine!

Fiddler said...

Kelly, you never fail to make me smile with your PF posts, and this week is no exception. I love the poem, and love my libraries, too.

Apologies for not stopping by last week--will go check out last Friday's post right now. Have a great weekend!

Fiddler said...

Okay, obviously I'm losing my mind, because not only did I stop by (belatedly--I think it was Sunday), but I left a comment! Brain burp, sorry.

Kim Kasch said...

I sooooo love the library - always have. I grew up in a family with 9 kids and 1 t.v. - so, as you can imagine, I got a lot of books from the library. We didn't have a lot of money for entertainment - and FREE is a very good price :)

susan said...

I love my library. And your poem made me smile. How can you not love the library? :-)

Sara said...

I love the line "quiet carousing." Yes, that is what reading is sometimes. :)

Yay for libraries and those who love them!

Mary Lee said...

Fun poem!

I'm thinking you need to write a poem with the refrain line an ironic (or sarcastic) "I'm crazy and adventurous like that." Made me smile!

Lisa Chellman said...

What a sweet tribute to libraries! Though I have to tell you -- while my library is currently quiet (10:30 AM on Saturday), I'm betting that in a couple of hours there will be a regular ruckus in the children's department, as families pile in for activities as well as materials! :-D

Solvang Sherrie said...

Great poem, Kelly. We love the library, especially when we're low on cash... My son really loves that we can reserve books from three counties and then pick them up at our local one. Libraries ROCK!

marthacalderaro said...

Libraries are wonderful, and your poem is a wonderful tribute to them! Thanks for sharing!

Christina Farley said...

Wow! You are a poet. Love it.I nominated you for the lemonade stand award on my blog.

Rena said...

Love the poem, Kelly!

I take my kids to the library here, but I never get out of the kid's section. I'm sure there is a section for adults, but I have yet to see it. ;)

adrienne said...

Your poem really captures it! My kids have always loved the library, but now I'm the only one hanging out in the PB section.

sruble said...

Love your poem and libraries too :)