Friday, October 3, 2008

A Meal Fit for a Jedi


Star Wars is big in our house. My husband has a huge collection of vintage Star Wars toys (oops, I mean collectibles). Some he purchased on Ebay, some he saved from his youth. I was a young girl who loved Star Wars, too, but alas, did not save any of my old toys.
Fast forward to now, my children are also fans of the galactic blockbuster. I attribute most of that to our own fondness for the Star Wars movies, but also four new movies have come out since my first pregnancy.
When I was pregnant with JC, I watched The Phantom Menace in the theater (and he wriggled a lot during that movie!). When I was pregnant with M, we succumbed to his jedi mind trick and took JC to his very first movie ever, Attack of the Clones. I admit he was probably too young to see it. In fact we left about three-quarters through the movie, but hey, we are fans. When Revenge of the Sith came out, it was PG-13, so my husband and I watched it without the kids. My nine year old finally convinced us to let him watch it a few weeks ago (I never allow my children to watch PG-13 movies). I know, the Dark Side made us do it. We recently enjoyed the latest installment, The Clone Wars, and it rejuvenated my children’s enthusiasm for everything Star Wars.
And that brings us to tonight. The Clone Wars television series premieres on Cartoon Network. The force was strong as my mother in law and M cooked up a Star Wars themed dinner. (I was busy trying to make my hair look like Princess Leia's.) The recipes came from a cookbook titled, The Star Wars Cookbook: Wookie Cookies and Other Galactic Recipes by Robin Davis.
Our meal included Yoda Soda, TIE Fighter Ties, Han-Burgers, Cosmic Carrots, and Jawa Jive Milkshakes.
The young padawans were voracious in their consumption of these delectables from another galaxy. Though we did have to remind them…Use the fork, Luke.