Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Spring Break 2010

Since this is my blog and you are my captive audience, I am going to make you look through my vacation pictures. (Don't worry. I won't post all one hundred of them.)

My inlaws, hubby, three kids and I drove through six states and another country (Ontario, Canada) in eight days for spring break. We logged 20+ hours in the car which for the most part went well due to Nintendo DS, movies, Mad Libs, and three kids who are used to road trips. I read lots of books in the car. I finished The Dead-Tossed Waves - loved it. Then I read some chapter books/early MGs for fun and research: reread Ramona Quimby, Age 8 and Judy Moody, read Frindle (loved it!) and The Janitor's Son by Andrew Clements. I finished the trip with Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. I can't wait for Mockingjay to come out!

Here's a quick rundown of our 1200+ mile trek.
Night One: Waterpark in Indiana
Nights Two-Four: Near Cleveland, Ohio; stayed with cousins.
Nights Five-Six: Niagara Falls, Canada.
Night Seven: Battle Creek, Michigan.

While we were in Ohio, my daughter and cousin in law, Rhonda, made Easter soaps together! Aren't they cute? Rhonda has her own handcrafted soap business. You can click on the Hydriads pic on the bar on the right to see her wonderful selection of natural soaps and bath products!

Photobucket


Cleveland Rocks! Here's the ZZtop car at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, baby! I decked the family out in rock shirts for our visit. (We went to the Pro Football Hall of Fame the next day in our Bears wear.)

Photobucket

View of beautiful Niagara Falls from our hotel room. (The falls were AMAZING!)

Photobucket


Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum in Niagara. See the effect my kisses have on men?

Photobucket


Vampire Killing Kit from 1850 (also at the Ripley's museum). Watch out, Edward.

Photobucket


I want to Rock and Roll all night! This is at Rock Legends Wax Museum that just my son and I went to in Niagara. We were seriously the only two in there walking through the dark corridors with wax people all over. It was creepy!

Photobucket

BLT sandwich from Tony's I-75 in Birch Run, Michigan (also featured on the Travel Channel). I didn't eat the whole thing, but I ate enough that I won't be eating bacon again in a LONG time!

Photobucket


What have you overindulged in lately?

29 comments:

Kristin Rae said...

Wow! What a great trip! Amazing view of the falls from your window!! I've never been but hope to one day.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

It sounds and looks like you had a super trip. I'm surprised you only spent 20+ hours in the car. I'm going to have to look at a map of where we live...Maybe we'll go to Canada.

slhastings said...

Sounds and looks fun! I want to rock and roll all night...(LOL)

Jonathon Arntson said...

TONY'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please don't judge Michigan because of Birch Run and vicinity. You need to go more NW next time!!

Kelly said...

Kristin - That was my first time there. Well worth the trip!
Sharon - We (or I should say my husband) didn't drive more than five hours per day. That helped. And I couldn't believe that Niagara was that close either!
Well, bonjour, Sam! Good to see ya!
Jon - We didn't get much time to spend in Michigan. Basically ate, drove more, and slept there. The cereal museum was closed so we just got up and headed for home. I bet the NW is beautiful. I have stayed in the UP too!

Kim Kasch said...

OMG - I am SOOOO jealous! I have always wanted to go to Niagara falls and I am such a Fanpire - plus the soap crafting and food - you had me at Spring Break...

Kristine said...

Those are good pictures! Thanks for sharing. Found your blog through your comment on Elana's blog. Have a great day!

TerryLynnJohnson said...

Great picts! Thanks for sharing part of your vacation here. Loved seeing the Niagra Falls - I live in Canada and haven't been there!
I over indulged at Easter with too much chocolate! Every year I say I'm not going to do that again.

Keri Mikulski said...

Great pics!!! Thanks so much for sharing. I feel like I was there with you. :) :) :)

Kimberly Franklin said...

Love the pics, Kelly!! Looks like you had a blast.:)

Bish Denham said...

Oh wow! Looks like you had a wonderful trip. I think the BLT would have choked me....

Tracy Edward Wymer said...

I miss the Midwest. It's an underrated part of the country.

Solvang Sherrie said...

Looks like you had a great time! We're on spring break right now but we've only done two states: North Carolina and South Carolina, but it's been a blast :)

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I am soooooo jealous! It looks like you had a fantastic time, Kelly! That last pic. is just cruel, though. I want that! :-)

Suzanne Casamento said...

You are SO funny! I love your pics. I love that you even rock on vacation. You must be the coolest mom ever. Like, "Hey, Son, wanna go to Rock Wax Museum with me?"
Um. Yeah! ; )

Kelly said...

Kim- We definitely packed it all in (the plans AND food!)
Kristine - THanks for stopping by!
TerryLynn- Yes, I am still overindulging in Easter chocolate. We have way too much in the house!
Thanks, Keri and Kimberly!
Bish - I had to really push it down and take bacon off to get my mouth around it!

Kelly said...

Tracy - I agree that it is underrated. I can't believe it took me this long to visit all those great sites here in the midwest!
Sherrie - Enjoy your vacation!
Shannon - I tell you. That sandwich was just TOO much! I seriously won't be eating bacon for a while!
Suzanne - My kids mostly think I'm weird :). But my oldest loved all the rock stuff we did. My youngest two liked the football hall of fame better than the rock hall of fame (how dare they! ;)

Heather Kelly said...

Awesome vacation! You guys packed a lot in! I so need a vacation!!

I can't wait for Mockingjay either!!!

Tina Laurel Lee said...

Kelly! So cool. I love car trips with the family. Somehow there are many more memories of them. Maybe just because you end up in unexpected places and there is something about all that time together in the car...
Thanks for sharing.

Anita said...

Husband grew up near the falls...no matter how many times we go, I always enjoy it.

This also reminds me of KISS on the side of the mtn. Did I tell you about it? A piece of mtn outside my window looks like a KISS dude. Will try to post photo soon.

So glad you're back.

Ray Veen said...

It's a shame. Battle Creek's not that far from me. We could've had some Guinnesses.

And I applaud you on your excellent taste in vacation destinations.

Kelly H-Y said...

I LOVE getting to see your vacation photos! What a trip you and your family (and even in-laws!!) took! Wow! That view of the falls from your hotel room is amazing!

Laura Pauling said...

Now I'm craving a really good BLT.

And I so wish I could read in the car. I can't even look at a map too long without feeling sick.

Thanks for sharing the pics. Awesome.

adrienne said...

That is some BLT!
Looks like you had a wonderful time - I'm jealous of all of it, starting with being able to read in the car.

Kelly said...

Heather - I just whip through those books, I just need to know what happens next!
Tina - That is true. It's a LOT of together time and just the goofy stops on the way were fun!
Anita - Post a pic!
V- Oh, man! (I would have had a Coors Light though.)
Kelly - Thank you! The view was amazing.
Laura and Adrienne - I started getting carsick while reading in the car after having my third child. My hubby suggested I take Dramamine before the trip. It worked!! So I didn't have to waste all those hours in the car!! I was very excited to read in the car again.

SAMUEL PARK said...

Great pictures! Sounds like you enjoyed Cleveland a lot more than I did when I was there (probably because I didn't leave my hotel, except to walk across the street to a sandwich shop where a homeless guy yelled at me).

jdcoughlin said...

That looks like so much fun! I'll have to remember that, what to do with teenage son who no longer knows what he wants to do, but knows how much life sucks doing nothing.
My overindulgence lately, food-wise, hummus and tahini. I know, please. Where's the potato chips. Does that even count? Yes. The portions would make that hog sandwich look like a piglet.

Denise said...

What a fun trip. Have I overindulged lately? In Indy, I entertained the crowd with my effort to throw my cell phone in my beer to prove it was waterproof.

Christina Farley said...

Those pictures of Niagra look fabulous! And that burger! I want to take my boys to the Niagra falls someday.