Monday, April 19, 2010

30 Seconds to Awesome

Last week I went to...wait for it...another concert. My friend and I went to see 30 Seconds to Mars in Milwaukee.

Who was the actor/musician in my last post who is the lead singer of this band?
Did anyone guess hottie Jared Leto?? If you haven't heard of him, he started his career opposite Claire Danes in My So Called Life. Other movies you may have seen him in include American Psycho, Fight Club, Alexander, The Panic Room and more. He is also occasionally seen at Suzanne Cazamento's grocery store (lucky girl).

Photobucket30 Seconds to Mars is comprised of Jared, his brother, Shannon, on drums and Tomo Milicevic on guitar. Their first hit was "The Kill (click to see video) Other popular songs from that album were "From Yesterday" and "A Beautiful Lie." "Kings and Queens" (video attached) and "This is War" from their newest album have had a lot of radio play in the last few months.

Before I left, my friend did my hair for me. Then my dad (who is a photographer) came over to take some pics of his rocker daughter.

Photobucket
I got to meet the band before the show (see pic on top). It was just a quick meet and greet, they signed this Photobucket with not their signatures, but weird symbols ( WTH?), but Tomo and Jared were friendly.

Neon Trees and Mute Math opened. Since my friend and I were there early, we were right in front of the stage for the whole show (my favorite spot to be!). Neon Trees had an amazing dramatic, flamboyant frontman. I'll be buying some of their songs on Itunes. Here's me and the lead singer, Tyler, and Brandon, bass.

Photobucket
Mute Math was fun, too. But of course I was there to see 30 Seconds to Mars. This is the second time I've seen 30STM in concert. I saw them three years ago, and this concert blew the last one away. The venue was packed (okay, with mostly teenagers) and Jared's voice sounded awesome, and he was all over the stage and even jumped in the crowd right next to us Photobucket (see here).


30 Seconds to Mars sang all their hits that I love, songs from their first album, and new ones I like from their latest album. What amazed me was how the majority of the crowd knew most of the songs from their new album that weren't even on the radio yet. The crowd was an active part of the concert, which makes it fun, and Jared even invited the first 20 fans that crowd surfed to the front up on stage for the last song. You would think it would be chaos, but he told them to be respectful and for the most part, everyone was.

Here's a few very short clips of Jared singing at the concert. First is "Kings and Queens" and second clip is "A Beautiful Lie."


Lastly, here's "Animal" by Neon Trees! Loved them. I love when I discover new bands I like!

34 comments:

Jonathon Arntson said...

I can't believe you touched Jared Leto. Omg.

I hope know one only knows him as an actor because, let's face it, his acting career is tragic, but as a musical artist, he's yum.

lyfizgud said...

I think your picture is GREAT, Kelly...and I loved the video by Neon Trees...I think I may have found a new band, too!!! :o)

Someday we'll have to go to a concert and meet someone fabulous together :o)

Anita said...

I can't believe you didn't mention that's me on the drummer's shirt!

Kelly said...

Jon - Ha! HA!! I do think Jared is a decent actor, but I do enjoy his music more than his movies.

Thanks, Sue!! Yes, we need to go to a concert together!

Anita - You notice the funniest things! I did not even know what was on his shirt and then I had to check after your comment...yep, there's Anita's chest! ;)

Tina Laurel Lee said...

Fun post all around. I was glued to it. Thanks for all the pictures. That photo your dad took is fab. And I love the attitude.

I love Anita's perception too. She catches everything. Aren't you dying to read her novel?

Shannon O'Donnell said...

It looks like you had a fabulous time, Kelly!! :-)

BTW, love the hair!

Debra L. Schubert said...

A girl drummer? LOVE IT!!!! Thanks for sharing music as only you can do. ;-)

Wendy aka Quillfeather. said...

Kelly, you look gorgeous as a rock chick!!

It appears a fun time was had by all :)

Bish Denham said...

You are one rockin' mama! You continue to educate me, Kelly. Quite a trip. A fun one!

Kimberly Franklin said...

OMG... that is sooooo cool!! And I love your hair!! I am so jealous right now!!

adrienne said...

Maybe I'll start shopping at Suzanne's grocery store. I think it's only a few hours out of my way...

Kelly said...

Tina - Thanks!! I know, Anita's the bomb!
Shannon - We had a blast! Thanks, my hair has NEVER looked like that before.
Debra - I loved that Neon Trees had a girl drummer, too!!
Thank you, Wendy!! :)
Bish - Thanks for following my rock adventures!
Kimberly - Thanks, it was fun. And that hair took a LOT of hairspray!

Adrienne- You totally should. Then hide behind the produce and take a few candid shots for us. :)

Jonathon Arntson said...

A non-snobby reply to your comment at my blog - never peg me as anything!

Kelly said...

Yes, I should know that, Jon!!!

Solvang Sherrie said...

I loved Jared Leto on MSCL. That was such a great show. Never imagined him with pink hair :)

Carrie Harris said...

*gnash gnash envy envy*

That's all.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

You are so cool!

Hema P. said...

Kelly, looks like you had a lot of fun! Did you have any epiphanic moments of new story ideas when you were in the middle of the concert? :)

beth said...

WOW! Very cool--love the rocker hair!!

PJ Hoover said...

OMG, Kelly! Your hair is to die for!

Kelly said...

Sherrie - He wanted to be a rebel rock star I think!
Carrie - :)
Sharon - I don't know about that, but do know I have a geeky side!
Hema - Nothing writing related (except taking pics for the blog) entered my mind all night! :)
Beth and PJ - Thank you! My kids were embarrassed that my hair looked like that! I loved it, because I never had such unique hair before!

Suzanne Casamento said...

1. I'm so glad you had fun at the show. Your concert deets are always awesome

2. Thanks for the shout out! I'll be sure to let you know the next time I bump into J.L. (or any other famous dude)

3. Your rock hair ROCKS!

SAMUEL PARK said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Keri Mikulski said...

Wow!! What a blast. :) Thanks for sharing!!

Kelly said...

Suzanne- I had your last name spelled correctly, then changed it (wrong) at the last minute! You need to hide behind the produce and take some celeb pics for us ;)
Samuel - Yes, Jared does look young still! I still need to see Requiem for a Dream. That's been on my To Watch list for a few years.
Keri - Definitely a blast!

Jennifer Shirk said...

WHOA--how cool is THAT?!!

You look great, too!! Like a total rocker chick!

Sliding on the Edge said...

Far out, Kelly! Loved the hair. Can you share the color? My cousin is East Bay Ray (Dead Kennedys) and when he plays I'd love to show up in hair like that!

Laura Pauling said...

Now I'm waiting for a vlog of you singing some rocking tunes!

Kelly said...

Thank you, Jennifer!!
Lee - I used a hair color can from Halloween, color: red. :) I just didn't saturate it (spray it) too much so it was more subtle than bold.
Make sure you post pics! (and WOW! Your cousin is in the Dead Kennedys?!!! Awesome!)
Laura - You should know me better. I've done that! I have my parody a few posts below this one, and in January I sang an Avenged Sevenfold song!

Yaya' s Home said...

You look like you're having waaaay too much fun. I'm afraid this group is far out of my league, but I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. Awesome pics.

~ Yaya
Yaya's Home

Christina Farley said...

You are crazy girl! I love your hair. Very, very fun. Sounds like you had a great time.

Candyland said...

I love these guys too. Saw them at The Taste of Chaos in '07 with The Used(the day I embarrassed myself...) and they rock!

DEZMOND said...

I can't believe Jared ruined his looks like that, with that horrible hairdo!!! But we still like him (as a musician, not as an actor) :)

Jen Daiker said...

Oh my gosh! You have just gotten so much cooler in my book!!! As if you couldn't be any COOLER!

Amazing! I'm so jealous, and your rocker look was AMAZING!

Thanks for the link!