Thursday, April 29, 2010

Pocabulary

Many families have words or phrases that are commonly used (or uniquely used) in their household. Some are made up, some are overused, some are just plain goofy.
Here are some words and phrases that are used often in the Polark household.

Polark vocabulary (or Pocabulary or Polarcabulary...I couldn't decide which was better)


Famwich - my husband made up this word for when all three kids and two dogs come into our bed with us to giggle or talk or snuggle (this has on occasion turned into a Dutch Famwich which I will not elaborate on).
Meaner - my five year old coined this for well, someone who is being mean
Bob Georgenfeller - a character name in one of my fifth grader's stories. I just like the name so I am including it in the Pocabulary.
Toaster Paster - my five year old accidentally called his Pop Tart/toaster pastry this, so now it will always be known as a toaster paster.
Skin sweater - skin with hair on it, I guess
Broadzilla - my husband occasionally calls me this. Isn't he a romantic?!
buttocks - potty talk is rampant in this house
Taco Tuesday - yes, we try to have tacos so often on Tuesdays for dinner, that when we serve it on a different night, one of the children will be confused and ask, "Wait...is today Tuesday?"

Phrases frequently used in our household (besides of course "I love you," "No," and "Wash your hands.")

"I was like.." - my five year old will do or say something and then recap it for us.

Justin Bieber's hair (or as my husband would say, Justin Beaver's hair) -thanks to this post by Murph, this topic has been used lately to make each other laugh or scare my five year old (who finally realized that he really won't be attacked by J.B.'s hair)

"Can I say the prayer?" - We have a competitive household that even after we say, "Wash your hands for dinner" the three children yell this so they can be the one to say the prayer before dinner. You wonder why we won't just rotate who says it? Because then it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

"That's cooooold!" - by my fifth grader twenty times a day, must be the new groovy phrase going around in the middle school

"That's where my babies were born!" I say that every time we pass the hospital where my babies were born (which is in the area). So, everyone expects it and chimes in now.

Words or Phrases that once used to be overused but are now "so two years ago" as my fifth grader would say.

Big Ticks. (see my old post for the reasons for this one. My son can thankfully say his "k" sounds correctly now.)
“Not so good, Al.” from the end of the Weezer video, "Buddy Holly." We'd say it when something was not good.
"Save that talk for dinner!" At dinner, our talk would always end up being ridiculous potty talk somehow, so that when someone would be talking about toots or poop during the day, I'd tell them not to say that because that kind of talk was reserved for the dinner table.
"Pool and a pond. Pond would be good for you." My husband has been saying this line from Caddyshack since I've met him. Plus other Caddyshack lines like "You'll get nothing and like it!" and "Thank you very little."
What words are commonly used in your home?

34 comments:

Rena said...

Oh, I love these, Kelly. Our family does the same thing. My boys have so many made-up words that I wouldn't know where to begin!

One thing my family does whenever we leave really early on a trip with our RV is say "donuts" like Homor Simpson says. It's usually Rick and everyone is sitting there barely away.

A new one is "Fishy, why are you sleeping?" from Finding Nemo. We have a neighbor kid who always knocks on our door and he's about as obnoxious as Darla in that movie. So whenever we see him running around, one of us says that.

Rena said...

That first one should say "barely awake". I need more coffee, obviously.

PJ Hoover said...

Broadzilla is hilarious!!!!!

Angela said...

Dutch famwich! HAHAHAHA!!!!

Bish Denham said...

Love it! My family had a ton of them too.

Kimber said...

"It's still in your pants!" Referring to, of course the toot that travels from kitchen to living room with you.

There are many more, but that one kills us regularly.

Candyland said...

Braodzilla...I wish my hubs talked that sweet to me!
We say "seriously" "are you kidding me?" and "dude" a lot.

Elana Johnson said...

Aw, what a great glimpse into your house.

We call the remote control a "chucker." And Justin Beiber, JusTINE Beaver, since you know, he's a bit on the feminine side.

And a whole bunch of others I won't elaborate on. O:)

Sliding on the Edge said...

Snarky is coming up a lot. Where did that start? Then there's the ever popular, "You're so vague." Huh? And that means . . . ?

That's when I get the eye rolling.

Yaya' s Home said...

I've taken to calling my good hubby-buddy a geek, sometimes. Like this morning when he offered me a chip. It wasn't until I refused that he told me they were Dill Pickle Chips... YUCK! The Geek! LOL. He was gonna' let me put that nasty thing on my TONGUE! EEEEEEEEWWWW

~ Yaya
Yaya's Home

Kelly said...

Rena - There are so many good quotes from the Simpsons! I like to do the Ralph (is it Ralph?) laugh!
PJ- And he seriously uses it as a term of endearment!
Angela - Hee! I was wondering if someone would know what I was talking about!
Bish - Do share!
Kimber - Funny one!!

Kelly said...

Candy - We say Seriously a lot too now to think of it. Hubby says, Dude as well...
Elana - I call the remote control the clicker! Oh, Justine...:)
Lee - I'm the eye roller in the house. It drives my hubby nuts! I can't stop!
Yaya - Hubbies def can be geeks at times :) All in good fun!

Kelly H-Y said...

These are hilarious! I love it! I'd have to think about ours ... we have lots of them! I'd definitely go with Pocabulary ... I like it!

Tina Laurel Lee said...

I love this glimpse into your homelife. You guys are serious fun and these words are a great way to characterize the family!! So cool! Thanks!

Anita said...

I love this post! We have about a million phrases. We say, "Let's not share that at circle," a lot. When the girls were in preschool, they'd sit in a circle with their class and "share" things that had happened to them. So now anytime we want to keep things in the family (like if Oldest Daughter tells us about a crush she has) we'll say, "Let's not share that at circle."

Solvang Sherrie said...

Fun phrases :)
In our house we'll say "beout" instead of without, just something Jasmine said wrong for the longest time and we all use it now. She also calls breasts "nibbles" though we're hoping that one changes before too long :)

Kelly said...

Kelly - Yeah, I was leaning toward Pocabulary, too. Pocabulary it is!
Tina - Thank you. It definitely shows we are a bunch of potty talkin' folks dashed with a bit of immaturity. :)
Anita - Cute phrase for Keep it on the down low! I'd love to hear other family's vocabulary too!
Sherrie - A lot of the made up words we have are also mispronunciations of the children's that just stuck! Funny!

Kim Kasch said...

I LOVE pocabulary.

Maybe because my daughter calls me Po

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

You guys have to be the coolest family! I'm so glad that I "met" you. I smile everytime I see your name. I know I'm going to read something that's going to make me smile. :)

I love "meaner!"

Hema P. said...

Such a cute post, Kelly! Loved the term skin sweater, but definitely wouldn't want to come face to face with one ;-).

We speak "Telugu" (one of the 17 official languages of India) at home, and even though we speak English as well as we do that, I realized we revert to our mother tongue when it comes to coined phrases and terms of our own!

When my ten-year-old whines about something that I have said 'no' to with: "But everybody does that!", I always counter almost mindlessly, "Says who?". It's the mother in me going on autopilot at that point :).

Anne said...

Hilarious! We have "Nintendo Attitude" which stems from my childhood when me and my siblings would fight over the SNES.

Laura Pauling said...

Those are great. I'm sure we have phrases like that but I'm terrible at thinking up things on the spot. I'll have to come back when I hear them. :)

Tahereh said...

hahaa!! this is hilarious! and so cute! we all have these kinds of phrases and we don't even realize it -- they just seem so normal.

thanks for sharing -- this was a great post!

have a wonderful weekend!!

nikki said...

So funny! I can just picture you all saying that goofy stuff! :-)

beth said...

OMG! I love "Famwich"!!! That's the best feeling in the world, being in the middle of one :)

DEZMOND said...

ahahahaa ... totally adorable :)))

Ann Marie Wraight said...

'THE FAMILY JEWELS' are too numerous in my family to mention every single one
BUT
those which I find hysterical are when my Greek hubby calls a fly swatter a FLY SLAPPER....damn you fly - take that "SLAP" and that "SLAP, SLAP."....ha ha - always kills me that one.

The other one is when he calls those little cotton buds for the ears "EAR POLES".....I've never corrected him about this after all these years and even my 2 sons ask for "ear poles" after their showers....ha ha ha! Can you imagine digging around your ears with a POLE!

Kelly said...

Kim - Awww, cute that your daughter has a nickname for you!
You are too sweet, Sharon!
Hema - I, too, have phrases that come out of my mouth on autopilot, too! I think it's a built in mom mechanism!
Anne - Hmmm, I wonder if my kids have Nintendo Attitude sometimes...
Laura - Would love to hear them!
Taherah - It's funny how things are said, and you don't think how common (or ridiculous) they are!
Nikki - You've probably heard us say some of this stuff!
Beth - I agree. Everyone loves it, but it usually has to end because the kids get rowdy after about ten minutes!
Thanks, Dezmond!
AnneMarie - Ear Poles is a hilarious name for those!

Serenissima said...

These are great! I'm going to have to pay better attention to the ones we use so I can capture them.

This is the first year my daughter "gets" what birthdays are so she's been telling everyone it's her "buttsday". Of course, the rest of us repeat it and giggle like maniacs.

Susan Fields said...

Those were so funny - thanks for sharing! I think Famwich is my favorite. We always tease my 12-year-old son about having Justin Bieber hair. The sad thing is, he really does.

Jonathon Arntson said...

Kelly, this is pure awesomeness.

So, I am infamous in many circles for speaking my own language and so of course, lots of people start saying the things I do.

I call my BFF Robin: Raspberry Chicken Fluff when I need something from her and I call her Brenda Thompson when I am mad at her.

I refer to my father as Diddles and my puppy as Snuggly Snoo.

I have a lot of random exclamations:
GuggenHeimen HoppenHeisen! (for pronunciation think Heineken)
Gruendall! (Which means thank you)
Spiggot! (shit)
Yummikins (yum)

I also add uber to everything.

I frequently recite my favorite scene from Aladdin, "Thank you for choosing Magic Carpet for all your travel needs. Don't stand until the rug comes to a complete stop. Thank you, goodbye now, goodbye. Waahaaa!" And, I do this in the perfect Robin Williams voice.

Hm... I often say that I have the Chinatown Bluesm but I have no idea what it means.

I break out in song every four minutes and the songs range from "hey Jude" to "Wannabe".

There are so many more Jonisms, this doesn't even scratch the surface, but I'd hate for you to think I'm weird. :)

Or is it too late for that?

Dawn Simon said...

Ooh, fun post! We have our own vocabulary words, too, AND it seems lots of bathroom talk hits at dinner. The unfortunate part? The kids often accuse me of starting the inappropriate conversations--and they're usually right. My son says, "Mom, you're so immature."

SAMUEL PARK said...

I'm gonna start saving that talk for dinner! Thanks for posting. Made me smile!

Anonymous said...

Greetings!

Maybe this is worth sharing that i found in this few posts below.[url=http://www.carcoverspal.com]Car Cover[/url]