Friday, October 30, 2009

Spooky Poetry Friday

Halloween is big in our house. I wanted to write a Halloween themed book for my children (and hopefully one day share it with other children), so I started writing Halloween parodies a few years ago. It turned into a collection, and it is titled I'm A Little Green Witch. I love parodies. I find myself singing different words to popular songs all the time, so it's only natural I wrote some down.
Here is one that did not make the cut for my manuscript. (I thought it might be too scary...what do you think?)


THE BOGEYMAN


Do you know the bogeyman?
The bogeyman?
The bogeyman?
Do you know the bogeyman
Who lives under your bed?


Yes, I know the bogeyman.
The bogeyman.
The bogeyman.
Yes, I know the bogeyman.
Can I sleep with Mom instead?!
-by Kelly Polark, all rights reserved
Today's poetry roundup is at Bibliophile! Enjoy Halloween weekend!
Here are some past jack'o'lanterns from our home to get you into the Halloween spirit!

Photobucket
Photobucket

15 comments:

Suzanne Casamento said...

Your jack-o-lanterns rock! I want to come to your house for Halloween!

Do you sing the Boogeyman parody to the Muffin Man tune? If so, that makes it extra creepy!

Kelly said...

Yes! That is exactly the tune!!
Have a great Halloween weekend, Suzanne!

Jennie said...

I love it! Thanks for much for sharing!

Sophia said...

Those punkins totally rock! Happy Halloween!

Mary Lee said...

I don't think your boogeyman parody is too scary at all!

Those pumpkins are AMAZING! Makes me a little embarrassed about my traditional triangle eye/toothy grin design I use every year!

Keri Mikulski said...

Wow - Great pics and amazing poem!

Happy Halloween!

Bish Denham said...

Cool jack-o-laterns! There's a great poem by Robert Louis Stevenson called "North-West Passage" about having to go through a dark house to bed, it has wonderful images...

Part of it goes,

All around the house is the jet-black night;
It stares through the window-pane;
It crawls in the corners, hiding from the light,
And it moves with the moving flame.

Now my little heart goes a-beating like a drum,
With the breath of the Bogie in my hair;
And all round the candle the crooked shadows come,
And go marching along up the stair.

jama said...

Very cool poem and jack-o-lanterns. Have a spooktacular Halloween!

Rena said...

Oh, I love it and don't think it's too scary, depending on your age group. My boys are 7 and 9 and love stuff like this.

Great pumpkins, too!

Anita said...

I'll teach th ekids the song...cute!

Your jacks are sooo much better than ours...I can't even photographed ours for fear of embarrassment. But the kids still have fun with them.

MG Higgins said...

Your poem is a little scary at first, but it ends with a smile and I think that's just the kind of scary kids like!

Those pumpkins are amazing! Somebody's a good carver.

Kelly H-Y said...

Very cute!
LOVE your pumpkins ... you guys did an awesome job!

Christina Farley said...

Cute poem. Hope you had a great night.

WordWrangler said...

I love parodies, too. I have quite a few in my collection, too. We'll have to exchange some one day! ;)

Great pics. I love the J O' L!!

peace,
Donna

laurasalas said...

Fun parody! And great jack-o-lanterns!