Monday, October 19, 2009

The Magic Show

Just an FYI to my blogger buds, I won't be as active in the blogworld the next few weeks. I am substitute teaching for first grade this week. The class is so sweet, and I'm having lots of fun with them so far! And next week my best friend and I are going to do an Oprah/Gayle trip for five days so I will be off the grid a bit. We are flying to her parents' house to Florida, staying two nights, and one full day, then we are driving back home! It will be a rare kids-free getaway. I'm a little nervous as it will be the longest I've been away from my kids, but it will be also good for me to get a break from the daily routine. I will have a long list of daily schedules and reminders for my husband (and probably grandmas) when I'm gone.
What does this have to do with my blog post title today? Nothing!
But I do have a short story in this month's issue of Stories for Children magazine titled "The Magic Show."
This short story was one of the first stories I wrote when I started writing for children about three or four years ago. I took an online class with a local author, and this was one of the assignments. I looked at the story again this year, and I realized how much I have learned from reading tips on blogs, Verla Kay's message board, and SCBWI meetings and conferences in the last few years. I tweaked and revised the crap out of it, and you can read it here! I love the illustration that Beverly Luria created to go along perfectly with the story.
Today's tune for Tuesday is a classic Police song.
"Everything She Does is Magic."

22 comments:

Kim Kasch said...

Oh I hope you have a wonderful time. I've always wanted to go see Oprah. My daughter and I were going to go when she turned 18 - kids have to be 18 to go see her show. Anyway, then she was playing college bball and we haven't had time.

One day. But I'll want to hear all about it!!! I'm soooo excited for you.

Kelly said...

My sister lives near Harpo Studios where Oprah is filmed, but I have never been to a show. Tickets are SO hard to get. So maybe one day! I'm actually just helping my friend retrieve her new car and make a fun girly trip out of it (like Oprah and Gayle's road trip)!

Ray Veen said...

Choose life over blogging. And go with our blessing.

Alicia said...

Congrats to you for having your story published! I hope you have a great week teaching and a fun road trip.

Bish Denham said...

I KNOW you'll have a blast. My sister and I did something similar several years back and we'd both love to do it again.

Congrats on the story. Don't give a thought to the rest of us, no doubt we'll be here when you get back.

PJ Hoover said...

have a great time away! We'll miss your smiling face, but look forward to seeing it when you are done!

MG Higgins said...

Woohoo! Road trip! I wish I were going with you. Can you swing by California on your way back from Florida? That's okay. I'm sure you're going to have a blast and congrats on getting your story published. I'm going to read it right now.

Anita said...

What a cool idea! I wonder if I have any friends willing to do something similar...can't wait to hear how it all goes. And I'll be looking up your story soon...gotta pick up kids now.

Anita said...

Ray Veen is hilarious!

Kelly H-Y said...

That is SUCH a fun age ... have a blast teaching!
ALSO, have a BLAST on your trip ... what fun!
Congrats, too ... on your publication ... I'm following your link to read it. I'm so excited for you!

Paul Michael Murphy said...

Have fun!

Rena said...

Have a great time!

Keri Mikulski said...

Have fun with the first graders. :)

Great song.

Lilfix said...

Hope you have lots of fun with the first graders and on your trip...Hugs...

Suzanne Casamento said...

Congratulations on the story!

And enjoy the girlie road trip. I hope you and your BFF soak in the scenery and the time to yourselves.

C.R. Evers said...

oh how fun!

I'm not as frequent in blogland these days either. Some times are just more busy than others.

Have fun! :0)

Anita said...

The story is very sweet! I wonder if you could get your hands on the original artwork. I wrote copy for a calendar a few years back and bought one of the illustrations from the artist...I really treasure the thing and am glad I paid the $ for it.

Sliding on the Edge said...

Love SFC and loved your piece. Have a great sub and Oprah experience. I think I'm a bit green.

WordWrangler said...

Yay for your story being published!
We'll miss your posts and expect you to have tons of great ideas all stored up after your stint as teacher. :)

and one more giant yay for ROAD TRIP!! :)

peace,
Donna

Christina Farley said...

Yeah for your story getting published! Good luck on your substitute teaching!

Denise said...

Have a super fun trip. Hopefully it will be more Oprah and Gayle than Thelma and Louise.

Denise said...

I like Ray's comment!