Monday, December 15, 2008

Um....Thank You?

The holidays are upon us. I’ve been busy, busy, busy purchasing gifts for loved ones. It’s hard to find that perfect gift sometimes. But you try. Or not. Have you ever gotten a gift that made you cringe? Giggle? Run away? Tell me the funniest (or strangest) gift you have ever given or received. Here’s my story…
When I was in fourth grade, my parents let me have a pet rabbit. He was a beautiful black bunny that I named Ziggy. What does a rabbit have to do with Christmas? Nothing, unless you are in my crazy family. During my childhood, my older sister, Denise, and I usually didn't exchange gifts. But one year (I was probably ten) she wrapped up a small little box just for me! My parents were so touched. I was so touched.
I opened it up excitedly. What, oh, what did my big sister pick out for pesky little me? I tore open the lid of the little box. ACK! It was full of rabbit droppings! We went from "Aaaawww to Ewwwww!" My mom said, "That wasn't very nice!" That was certainly what you would call an unexpected gift. I think I was just shocked. Looking back, I am surprised we didn't laugh more about it, because my parents both have good senses of humor.
About ten years ago when I was a teacher, a coworker had a rabbit. I asked her if she could please bring me some rabbit droppings....(I'm sure she thought I was nuts, but I did explain the story). We were all at my mom's celebrating Christmas, and I gave my sister a small, beautifully wrapped gift full of you-know-what! :0) This time we did all burst out into laughter. Because little tiny poops are funny (as long as they aren’t on your shoe).
My sister also blogged about this blessed Christmas moment here. There are slight inaccuracies, but the hilarity is the same. What is the funniest gift you have encountered?

13 comments:

C.R. Evers said...

LOL! That is funny!

Probably the worst gift that I ever got was when I went to my husbands Grandmas for Christmas one year. One of my gifts was a really old and really ugly velour jogging suit. Or, I think it was a jogging suit. It looked ancient, even though it still had the Sears tag still on it.

I tried to return it to sears, but they said that the item was so old, that it wasn't even in their computer system. That if I wanted to return it, all they could do was give me a quarter.

I wondered how many decades that outfit must have been sitting in a basement before it was gifted to me.

adrienne said...

Gee, homemade gifts are nice, but that's going a little too far :-O

Either I've been very lucky or very forgiving, but I can't think of any really horrible gifts I've gotten...

Gottawrite Girl said...

Ok, this is embarassing... I'm an overprotected only child. And for my 16th birthday, I got a DOLLHOUSE. And sadly, I'm not kidding.

: )

Kelly said...

Christy- Did you take the quarter?
Adrienne- Lucky girl!
GGirl- Well, as long as a Barbie car came with it (since it was your 16th bday! :0)

Denise said...

Inaccuracies???? What might those be? Was I not in 3rd grade when it happened? Well my strangest gift ever is the same as yours, so there. Oh, and I always wanted a dollhouse...

Kim Kasch said...

Mom and Dad had 9 kids, when they could barely afford 2. So, we didn’t get much for Christmas. I remember one year – I must have been about 5 or 6 – after I opened my present, I asked, “Do I have any more?”

Dad looked upset but he said, “Oh yeah, you have another present. I forgot about it.” He went into another room, and when he came out he was holding a beautifully wrapped gift. I tore open the package, so excited, but when I saw what it was, I wanted to cry – it was an old worn-out toy iron. He said, “That will teach you to be thankful for what you’ve got. And don’t be greedy.”

Not as bad as poop – but, back then, it felt like it.

And, I always wanted a dollhouse too but after that. . . I never asked.

Kelly said...

Denise- yes, I meant the age, I didn't get Ziggy til I was 9.:0)
Kim- Sometimes I feel my kids don't appreciate their gifts...my dad built my daughter a beautiful dollhouse, and seriously, she won't appreciate it til she's older. Kids get WAY too much these days.

Rena said...

Oh, what a funny story, Kelly. I liked how your sister explained her version of it too. Too funny!

I'm coming up on a blank for a really bad Christmas present. We got 9 crock-pots for our wedding though. I wasn't into crock-pots back then, so we took 8 of them back. And of course, the one we kept was a piece of -- crock!

Solvang Sherrie said...

Well, rabbit poop is pretty hard to top. I've gotten hideous clothes and an ugly ornament (still not sure what it's actually of -- a bird? a mouse? a golden blob?) but most stuff is regiftable or welcomed at the thrift store!

keri mikulski :) said...

Good one. :)

Okay, this is embarrassing and I cringe thinking about it.. An electric razor from Santa when I was like twelve. I think he was trying to tell me something.

keri mikulski :) said...

Good one. :)

Okay, this is embarrassing and I cringe thinking about it.. An electric razor from Santa when I was like twelve. I think he was trying to tell me something.

Shelby said...

LOL! What a riot!

I have a friend who doesn't realize she gives horrible gifts. Last year she gave me one random wine glass, Vick's Vapor Rub, and the paperback novel I gave to her for her birthday (she must have forgotten I gave it to her). Seriously! But I've learned to laugh it off; she's a good friend despite her bad taste in gifts.

Brenda said...

LOL...oh what a brave sister you have...if I had done something like that to my little sister, I would have been ground for life...grin...

my worse gift was from my first hubby...he bought me camo shirts...in his size...sigh...this is only one of reasons he is an ex...grin...