Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Tune for Tuesday


Today’s tune for Tuesday is my favorite Christmas song. I enjoy Christmas songs, especially because you hear them just at a month at a time (more may just be too much!). My mom used to always play a Johnny Mathis Christmas, which was always good. I own Christmas CD’s by Elvis, Jewel, and Chicago. I just found out that Weezer just came out with one; I will definitely have to get that. Monster Ballads Xmas is also on my wish list. This one features 80’s hair bands, which I have to admit I still enjoy. Since I heart the 80’s, my very favorite Christmas song should come as no surprise.
“Do They Know It’s Christmas?” by Band Aid has been played many times in the past week (much to the chagrin of my oldest son- “Not this song again!”).
This song was released in 1984 and was recorded specifically to raise money for relief in Ethiopia. Bob Geldof assembled the group of popular British and Irish musicians for this recording. Musicians included Sting, Phil Collins, Paul Young, George Michael, and members from Duran Duran (sigh), U2, Culture Club, Bananarama, Spandeau Ballet, Kool and the Gang, and many others. I was a major Duran Duran fan when this song came out, so I loved it then. Despite my being a rocker girl, I still adore Duran Duran. I can’t help it. C’mon, it’s Simon Le Bon and John Taylor! They are still dreamy…:0) I still buy their albums and attend their concerts.
I hope you all have a wonderful holiday season with your family and friends. I’m looking forward to some major family time in the next few weeks, so I will not be blogging regularly until after the new year. Happy holidays and a happy new year to you all!
Enjoy “Do They Know It’s Christmas?”


15 comments:

C.R. Evers said...

I love this one too! :0)

Merry Christmas!

Rena said...

Merry Christmas Kelly!

Ello said...

Love this song! Great choice!

Merry Christmas and have a wonderful new year!

Best,

E

poemhome said...

Maybe I shouldn't admit this, but the first album (remember those)I bought was a Johnny Mathis album called simply, "Johnny."
http://1.music.bigpond-images.com/images/AlbumCoverArt/362/XXL/Johnny2.jpg

Suzanne Casamento said...

I got this cassette single when the song came out and played it over and over and over. It was right around the time I fell in love with Bono, so his solo was my fave part. It still makes me swoon. Nice pick! ; )

Kim Kasch said...

I love it when people join together to spread love.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Solvang Sherrie said...

I still have the 45 of this song! Great pick -- Merry Christmas!

Angela said...

The radio station I listen too plays all the rock Christmas tumes and I love it! Have a great holiday, Kelly!

Shelby said...

You have great taste in music!

Hope you have a wonderful holiday!! See you soon.

Brenda said...

Merry Christmas!!! Hugs...

Elliah A. Terry said...

I've always loved that song. Those guys have some crazy hair, though.

Gottawrite Girl said...

Ok, my weakness is DEFINITELY Mariah Carey christmas music. And I DEFINITELY don't know why!!! Well, I hope you are warm and happy over there, Kelly, and talk soon!!!

; )

Shelby said...

I've been meaning to ask you, do you take requests?

I heart the '80s too, and think Bon Jovi is one of the best things to come out of that decade. He rocks! And he's hot! I LOVE the song/video for "Who Says You Can't Go Home?" with Jennifer Nettles. I would like to visit your blog someday and have a special surprise--anything by Bon Jovi actually! What do you think of his music?

Nora MacFarlane said...

I remember this! Happy New Year, Kelly!

sruble said...

OMG, thanks so much for this!!!! I <3 this song and I didn't get to hear it yet this season. It was really fun watching the video too. I love the 80s :)

I still can't believe that they were able to get them all together in one room. So cool.

Hope you had a most excellent Christmas!

p.s. Fairytale of New York is a great Christmas song, which is on the album The Edge of Christmas, which has a bunch of great songs, including another favorite, Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy - David Bowie and Bing Crosby