Tuesday, November 16, 2010

So Close

I'm so close I can taste it. And it tastes like Smarties and chocolate milk. Because those are my main character's fave treats (separately of course, you can't wash Smarties with chocolate milk! Well, you can, but you shan't). Did you just google if shan't is a word? Take my word for it, I have no idea.
I'm so close to finishing my middle grade manuscript. I had a month off while working on my house. Now I am using that energy towards my story. I have worked and reworked this manuscript since spring. I originally had written it as a chapter book the year before, but after some valuable advice, started rewriting it as a middle grade in April. So here I am working on the last chapter. I am almost there. I'm excited. I still love my story. Even after rereading it so many times.
You see when I add a chapter or scene to my story, I reread all the chapters I've written up to that point. I know it's slow going, but it just helps my writing flow into the next scene. And after all of this rereading, thankfully I still smile when I am reading it.
So, I am publicly putting it out there that I am going to finish it this week. I will send it out to beta readers (anyone want to read?) and critique groups soon after. How am I going to celebrate when I'm done? With a large glass of chocolate milk (hold the Smarties) of course! So please check in next Monday to see if I reached my goal. If I haven't, I give you permission to call me names, slap me silly, or even pelt me with Smarties.

Did anyone else catch the live author/agent chat on WriteOnCon last night? Make sure you follow their blog so you don't miss any of these awesome opportunities to pick the brains of cool, talented people in the publishing biz! Last night agent Stephen Barbara and author Leila Sales(Mostly Good Girls) chatted about the agent/author relationship. Fun and informative!

Since I'm Closer to the End, today's Tune for Tuesday is "Closer to the Edge" by 30 Seconds to Mars. Jared Leto of My So Called Life and movie fame is the lead singer. I saw them live in April (see picture of Jared's arm around me here), and they were amazing. You can see for yourself how a 30STM concert experience really is in the video. The venue is usually packed. The crowd knows all the words. You can see the crowd move three steps forward (which was impossible for me at my concert as I was about next to the stage which prompted me to swear at him (he didn't hear me ;) and have strangers be squished all around me). But the concert was awesome enough to let me forgive him for that. He also walked into the crowd, on top of the crowd just like in the video.
Watch and listen to CLOSER TO THE EDGE!





32 comments:

Christina Lee said...

Okay you said it publicly--we'll hold you to it ;--) And re-reading the chapter before-- I do too, b/c it has to make sense (shan't it?)!

storyqueen said...

You can do it!!!

I have great faith in you.

Shelley

Stephanie Blake said...

YAY! Finishing is such a great feeling!

Lydia Kang said...

Hooray for coming closer to the finish line!
I have to say, I gave Jared Leto way less credit than he deserves. Great vid!

Tina Laurel Lee said...

Yay, Kelly! And I'd be thrilled to read as needed! (I will also get on your case as needed.)

Kelly said...

Christina- I'm glad it makes sense even though it's slow going!!
Thank you, Shelley!
Steph - I am ready to be at the finish line!
Lydia - I do really like Jared's band. He has a great voice (not to mention gorgeous baby blues!)
Tina- Thank you on both accounts!

Heather Kelly said...

Kelly--that's awesome, about being so close to the end. And I think that's an awesome technique--the reading from the beginning. Rolling revisions. I'd be happy to read and crit, if you need eyes!

TerryLynnJohnson said...

Way to go on your fab story! sounds awesome that you still love it after reading it so many times! I wish I had heard about the live chat earlier! I missed it!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Go, Kelly! You can do it, girl!! :-)

Candyland said...

This video makes me cry every time. It's so beautiful.

Vijaya said...

Finishing is such a great feeling. And finishing a book a great achievement. I'll congratulate you early because I know you can do it.

Matthew Rush said...

"Take my word for it, I have no idea." Has got to be the best thing I have ever read. LOVE it.

DEZMOND said...

Kells, SHAN'T indeed is a word, take it from this English language teacher :P

Kelly said...

Thank you for the offer, Heather. And yes, I revise so much too over and over!
Terry- Yes, it was a good one. I think they should put a reminder on the WriteOnCon blog the morning of the chat.
Shannon- Thank you for the encouragement!
Candace - It is a beautiful video. I think Jared directs most of his videos.
Vijaya- I hope you are right!
Matthew - Ha! And the word sounded made up to me but yet sounded right too!
Dezz- And there we have confirmation! Thanks, Dezz!!!

Anita said...

I can read after Dec 6.

Tracy Edward Wymer said...

Congrats, Kelly! Get to the finish line. :)

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

Yes yes yes yes! You will do it!!! Yesyesyesssssss!!

P.S. I officially have a new super wish in life: I want to move to a deserted island and live like a savage with Jared Leto.

C.R. Evers said...

Congrats on being so close!!!! YOu go girl!

I'm close to being done w/ my 1st draft of my current WIP.

Great tune pick for your closeness! :0)

SAMUEL PARK said...

Congratulations on being so close to being done! I really like that feeling. And who knew Jared Leto was so multitalented.

Jennifer Hillier said...

You're so close! You can do it! And congrats!

Samantha VĂ©rant said...

I'm with you, sista. I had a weird horoscope that said this: "Lately you may have felt like the famous Tantalus from Greek mythology. Immortal Tantalus, having committed unspeakable crimes and having stolen food from the gods, sits in a pool of crystal clear water that recedes from him each time bends to drink. As he reaches for the delicious, ripe grapes hanging directly overhead, he finds that they are just a little too far for his fingers to grasp. He can see his goal, but he just can't touch it." Thankfully this is supposed to end this week. ANYWAYS, sorry for the long quote. Congrats on the finish!

Lola Sharp said...

WooHoo! I won't pelt you with anything, not even candy, but I will celebrate with you when you finish! :)

I read back a bit (not the entire novel, since I write for grown ups and my books are longer) each day before moving forward, too. It's an important part of my process, during firsts drafts and revisions.

"Take my word for it, I have no idea." Love that line. well played.

And, natch, I loves me some 30STM...and some Jared.

Have a great week!
Love,
Lola

Laura Pauling said...

Yay! I know you've been working hard on this! Such a great feeling to get close to the end. Be happy to beta read, I'm always looking for beta readers. I don't have an ms ready now but I will later in the spring, if you want to trade!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I do a lot of rereading as well.
And so I can't mix in the Smarties with chocolate milk. What about with a YooHoo?

Suzanne Casamento said...

Kelly, you rock! Congratulations on being super close to finishing your WIP. I'll totally read! Send it on when you're ready.

Suzanne Casamento said...

And LOL at Carolina's "live like a savage with Jared Leto" comment!

Elana Johnson said...

I'm so close I can taste the Smarties too. I have 3 chapters left in my WiP! I need to get it done by the weekend. I think I can, I think I can...

Kelly said...

Anita- Thank you, dear!
Thanks, Tracy! Almost there!
Carolina - As long as you send photos of Jared shirtless on the island!
Thanks, Christy! And good luck to you on a great finish!
Samuel- Yes, that Jared is!
Thank you, Jennifer!
Sam- Where in the world do you get your horoscopes?!
Lola- Thank you! I need to go watch some Jared Leto movies that I haven't seen...
Laura- Thank you! Sounds good!
Alex- Try it with a Yoo Hoo and get back to us!
Thank you, Suz! :)
Elana- I know you can!

Susan Fields said...

I love that video! I knew Jared Leto was in a band but I had no idea I'd like them so much. Do you remember that My So-Called Life episode when Rayanne was supposed to sing for Jordan's band but she freaked out and left so he sang instead? He was very good! Thanks for sharing, and wtg on being almost finished!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I would never pelt you with smarties.

I would sacrifice myself by eating them for you. :D

Jen Daiker said...

Kelly you rock! You can do this! We're all on your side!

Rena said...

I thought I replied to this the other day, but it didn't go through. Funny though, because the word "shant" came up today in Nathan's language today. I think it's a contraction, but looking at it now, I can't figure out where.