Monday, November 8, 2010

Spot the Blunder, Shawty!

Last week our realtor sent a photographer to take pictures of our house to go on our brochures and online realty sites. Before this, she sent a stager to make sure our house would look as presentable as it could be. The stager was amazing. She told us the best way to position our couch. Which plant or what kind of centerpiece would look best on the table and so on. Have you ever watched HGTV's Get It Sold? Kind of like that.
So the photographer came and I had the place as clean and perfectly placed as possible. Which is a huge feat as I am not known as the world's most fabulous housekeeper. I checked and rechecked each room and I knew I was ready.
Or was I? Can you see what I forgot?

Yep, the bed's a mess. I'm a terrible bedmaker, I am. But you'd think my eyes would scan the foot of the bed to make sure the comforter was covering the sheet for crying out loud! Oi. But thankfully, my only blunder. But definitely a true Kelly blunder. Okay, I could have taken my TBR pile out of the nightstand too, but hey, I love my books. You'd think the photographer might have noticed the bed blunder, but maybe she didn't want to offend. Her pictures turned out awesome by the way. She made my wood floors look so shiny and the colors of the walls of the bedrooms pop.
Thankfully I am not a terrible writer (at least I hope not). But you'd think my eyes would scan my manuscript and catch every misspelled word or tweak each scene just right. But I can't. I'm only human. So use your critique group, use your family, win great blog contests like I did and get people (and by people, I mean definitely more than one person) to read your stuff. And your comforter, I mean, your manuscript won't be a mess.

One last thing.
Who the heck is Shawty?
This I wondered after I looked up the lyrics to Dynamite to make sure it was acceptable for my son to download on Itunes (it was fine...and catchy). Then I recalled the song from Fred the Movie (a Nickelodeon movie), "Call 9-1-1, Shawty burnin on the dance floor" and the Usher commercial singing "Happy Birthday" to Shawty.
Who is this mysterious Shawty that everyone and their mother is singing about?
So I googled "Who is Shawty?"
It turns out according to the Urban Dictionary, Shawty is used as a pronoun like man or dog or girl. It is also commonly used as a term for a hot female or girlfriend. So there you have it.

Am I geek for not knowing this or a bigger geek for googling it? You know it, Shawty!

36 comments:

Bish Denham said...

What a nice big bedroom! Like the furniture too. And hey, not everyone can be perfect at everything!

Cynthia Chapman Willis said...

Oh, I'm a horrible bed-maker, too. In fact, I didn't even catch the comforter not covering the sheet. Probably because I was admiring the beautiful, spacious bedroom. And hopefully buyer sorts of people will notice this, too. Good luck!

storyqueen said...

No, I'm the bigger geek....Shawty?? wha???

Love the room...well done!

Shelley

Denise said...

Nice blog, Shawty!

Christina Lee said...

um, REALLY (God I feel old)!!??

Anita said...

I'm constantly Googling words...I also make them up and then forget their meanings...don't think anyone will be quoting me.

The photographer should've pointed out the mishap.

Kelly said...

Bish, I agree. And I am definitely not perfect! :)
Thank you, Cynthia. We have an open house today and the bed is made (almost) perfectly.
Shelley- Thanks, Shawty!
Denise - Thank you and you know my less than stellar housekeeping skills better than most!
Christina- I only know this due to my junior high son!!!
Anita- I do wish she did point it out, but it is my mistake. So typical of me!

Candyland said...

I vote geek for Googling :)
Ha!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I have NEVER heard the term shawty before. Thanks for educating me! :-)

Matthew Rush said...

A Shawty can also be a little kid, as in "shorty". It's totally ghetto fabulous and I love this post simply because you used it in the title!

Laura Pauling said...

I never would have known what the term meant either! And I hope your house sells!

It doesn't matter how many times we go over a ms, I think there will always be typos!

C.R. Evers said...

I'm not much of a housekeeper either. I knew there was a lot that I liked about you! :0D

Good luck with your open house!

MG Higgins said...

I'm thankful for Matthew's insight. Often I can figure out slang from the sound of it, but never would have guessed shorty. Good luck selling your house! It looks really pretty. I'd like to be one of those house-seller designer people. Sounds like fun.

Tina Laurel Lee said...

Your bedroom looks fab. I still didn't notice even when you told me too. I was too busy admiring the color of your walls!

DEZMOND said...

ah, Kelly, even I knew what SHAWTY is, and my native tongue isn't English :PPP I learned the word some years ago when BabyBash had his huge hit SHORTY DO WOP :)

And I like DYNAMITE if it is the one from Taio Cruz ;)

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Looking good Kelly! LOL, the comforter! It sounds like something I would do. Today I parked my car in a spot with a meter on purpose...I knew I would be more than two hours. I put in two quarters, which gave me 5 hours of parking. I came out from getting my hair done (blond I might add) and had a parking ticket? WT? I had put the money in the wrong meter!

Lydia Kang said...

That makes me feel old!
You know, that Fred dude from the movie lives like 45 minutes from me. I found out last week. Weird, eh?

Kelly said...

Candace - I'd vote for both! I'm geektastic!
Shannon- Me neither til recently!
Matthew- I've been calling everyone Shawty lately :).
Laura - So true about the ms!
Christy - Unfortunately now that I've proven that I can indeed keep my house clean, my hubby may expect this in our next house!
Mel- I'm not a great interior decorator so I was thankful for the stager's help.
Tina - Thanks! We just painted it that color a few months ago. I love it!
Dezz- Of course you knew, you are the Hollywood Spy! :) And yes, it was the Cruz song. Aaaayo!
Sharon - Oh, man. Now that sounds like something I would do!

Kelly said...

Lydia- I just told my kids that Fred lives near you. My daughter yelled, "Lucky!" Have you seen the movie? It's so dumb and silly it is funny.

Kim Kasch said...

My kids are always schooling me. I'm the one who THINKS I know what words mean but then I go and make a fool out of myself-and kids never let you live it down.

Kiki Hamilton said...

Good luck with your move - I thought the room looked perfect, Shawty! I can just imagine the look my daughter would give me if I used that term in earshot of her - ha!

Samantha Vérant said...

Kelly- Matthew is right, It's shorty. And I thought there was a cat hiding in the covers at the foot of your bed!

Kelly said...

Kim- Yeah, my oldest will shake his head and say, "Oh, Mom..."
Kiki- I say it at home and they are okay with it, but if I said it in public, they'd be embarrassed.
Samantha- When I first saw the pic, I thought it was my dog!

Carolyn Abiad said...

Hmm. I just assumed it was shorty, in rapper speak, that is... However, another friend recently educated me on "hooptie", so maybe I need to bookmark the Urban Dictionary. :)

SAMUEL PARK said...

I actually didn't notice the bed at all. My eye was drawn to the incredible light coming in from the window and the spaciousness of the room. Best of luck with all that; selling a home can be stressful, but I"m glad you're turning it into a fun adventure!

Rena said...

Looks great!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

At least you know now!
I saw the books but didn't notice the bed. Guess that says a lot about the normal condition of my own bed.

Samantha Vérant said...

Hey Kelly- I left you an award on my blog. Come and get it...

Ray Veen said...

I neva heard a no Shawty.

Very nice analogy with the 'not noticing the minutiae in your writing', Kelly. Most of my readers seem to dislike reading on the computer, so I end up printing several beta copies of each of my novels (Lulu -- 'unpublished' option). And that's where I finally notice all the typos and repeated words and things. It drives me crazy that the mistakes have to get that far before I can finally see them.

Ray Veen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hema P. said...

I have seen one or two of my friends' houses staged for selling -- doesn't it make you feel cheated that you're doing this for someone else who's possibly going to live in your house? :-)

Thanks for adding a cool term to my dictionary, Kelly! I totally see why you'd feel compelled to google it -- been there, done that! :)

Elana Johnson said...

Oh my heck! My 12 year old son and I have had this EXACT conversation about Shawty!! I'm not even kidding. No, I didn't google it. I'm just going to tell him I learned it on a blog.

Yaya' s Home said...

Well, I hope you are neither a geek for askin' who Shawty is, nor for googlin' it because if you hadn't, I would've... on both counts.

Your house looks wunnerful an' I never would've noticed the comforter faux pas if you hadn't pointed it out.

Good luck with the move AN' with the books.

~ Yaya

Stephen Tremp said...

Shawty huhn? Now I have a cool word to call all those hot young female baristas at Starbucks. I can be cool once again LOL! A little early morning humor.

Lisa Gail Green said...

Nice analogy. Having another pair of eyes to look at your manuscript is priceless. Good luck on the sale of your house. And I did not know that about "Shawty" very interesting!!

Solvang Sherrie said...

Dude, I never heard of Shawty until I read this post! I guess that makes me hopelessly uncool :)