Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Write Stuff

This is a very cool writing meme, and I've been tagged by MG Higgins! Sorry it took me so long! It's a fun tag for us writing folk, so consider yourself tagged if you would like to post your answers on your blog, too!

1) What's the last thing you wrote? What's the first thing you wrote that you still have?
The last thing I wrote was a comment on a blog. I'm participating in the Comment Challenge, so I'm commenting even more than usual! I've found some great new blogs already!

I have poetry projects from fifth grade and eighth grade somewhere in my house. I need to find them. I have a cinquain about Duran Duran in there.

2) Write poetry?
Absofreakinglutely. I love poetry.

3) Angsty poetry?
I'm not an angsty person. Most of my poetry is fun. But I've written a few.

4) Favorite genre of writing?
So hard to choose. I love to write poetry. I have five picture book manuscripts completed (3 are poetry collections) and one chapter book manuscript. I hope to try YA one day...

5) Most annoying character you've ever created?
Cam the Ketchup (something I wrote for a Mustard Museum contest!)

6) Best plot you've ever created?
I'm still working on it!

7) Coolest plot twist you've ever created?
I like the sort of plot twist that I submitted for a short story contest recently.

8) How often do you get writer's block?
Occasionally, but thankfully not frequently.

9) Write fan fiction?
Nope.

10) Do you type or write by hand?
Both. Most of my poetry is by hand. Longer stories are typewritten.

11) Do you save everything you write?
Most of it!

12) Do you ever go back to an idea after you've abandoned it?
Yes, yes, yes, I do. I go back to ideas, how 'bout you?

13) What's your favorite thing you've ever written?
My rhyming rock 'n roll ABC book and my current WIP chapter book, Rock 'n Roll Princesses Wear Black.
Oh! And my Halloween parody picture book!

14) What's everyone else's favorite story you've written?
So far the Halloween parody picture book. It's very catchy. But I've had more people read that one, too.

15) Ever written romance or angsty teen drama?
No.

16) What's your favorite setting for your characters?
I generally do modern day.

17) How many writing projects are you working on right now?
2 - one poetry book I've set aside for a few months and finishing revisions on my chapter book

18) Have you ever won an award for your writing?
Not yet!

19) What are your five favorite words?
ginormous, fantabulous, ridonkulous, spathetic, awesomage
Oh, you mean real ones?

20) What character have you created that is most like yourself?
The mom in my chapter book

21) Where do you get your ideas for your characters?
Everything everywhere.

22) Do you ever write based on your dreams?
Usually not, but I recently dreamed the beginning of an interesting book. I have the general idea written down now in a notebook.

23) Do you favor happy endings?
Yes, but it's not mandatory.

24) Are you concerned with spelling and grammar as you write?
Yes, I'm a former teacher!

25) Does music help you write?
No, because I end up singing to it. I do get ideas for poetry sometimes from songs though.

26) Quote something you've written. Whatever pops in your head.
"The bats go flying one by one..."

26 comments:

millymarie said...

I love your favorite words. ;D

Angela said...

Of all the memes running around, this one is my favorite! It really gives insight into the writer in us. Great answers!

Keri Mikulski said...

Love tags.. :)

What a fun one. :) Love your five favorite words.

Bish Denham said...

I love your favorite words too!

Denise said...

Good answer on spelling and grammar. I'm appalled to what has become of our English language!

Tina Lee said...

Your favorite words made me laugh out loud!

Kelly said...

Thanks, MillyMarie, Keri, Tina, and Bish! I love silly words! :)
Angela- I agree, I've enjoyed reading everyone's answers to this!
Denise- ewe r sew write!

Sliding on the Edge said...

This was my fault, Kelly. I tagged Mel. But . . . I loved your answers, so maybe my tagging was a good thing, huh?

Also congrats on your Stories for Children pubs. I love that ezine and reading about your publication in it made me want to sub something again. Hurray, Kelly!

MG Higgins said...

Love your answers! You're such a music freak I thought for sure you listen to music when you write. But you don't for the same reasons I don't--I end up focusing too much on the music.

I am now going to start using ridonkulous,

Kathy B. at forwordsbooks said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Yes, I need deadlines. Which is why I am wandering around today as if I have nothing to do. I think the Bloggiesta should last for a month! But at least you woke me up enough to remember that I am still committed to the Comment Challenge and always have a ton of things to do. I love your site.

Kelly H-Y said...

How fun ... your favorite words cracked me up!

Anita said...

So much fun!!!

Brimful Curiosities said...

Mustard Museum contest? We've driven past that museum in WI but we haven't visited it yet.

Margaret Ann Abrahams said...

Fun answers - and I find myself identifying - I have more than one WIP at any one time too. Happy to find your blog through the Comment Challenge - and maybe I'll consider myself tagged.

ahundredrevisions said...

Okay - mustard museum contest? What on earth is that and how do I get involved? :)

Rena said...

Cool!

Oh, and thanks so much for voting for my book, Kelly. I really appreciate it. Dilly is up to #3 now, which is better than #5. :)

Sharon Mayhew said...

Are you keeping track of the number of comments you make for the challenge?


Great answers on your MeMe.

Christina Farley said...

A fun read! I learned a little about you from that list.

Kelly said...

Lee- Thanks!Unfortunately SFC will be on hiatus after March for a little while.
MG-That's a ridonkulously great idea!
Kathy-Thanks for stopping by!
Kelly- THanks! That's fantabulous!
Anita- I liked this meme more than some others. I sometimes forget to do posts about writing :).

Kelly said...

Brimful-I've actually been there!
Ahundred- I found out about it on Verla's blueboards! It was over a year ago and a blueboarder won!
Rena- I hope it gets to one!
Sharon- I am keeping track, and I have commented so much more than usual! It's a good motivator.
Christina- Thanks for reading!!

wordwranglernc said...

cool meme! (what does that stand for, anyway? I guess I should google...)

ridonkulous is one of my fave words, too. I tried every way I could to use it in a sentence yesterday. :)

Poetry does rock, doesn't it? Looking forward to seeing you entry!

hugs,
Donna

The Wild About Writing Trio said...

I happen to love your favorite words. We're writers- who says the words can't be made up. We're wordsmiths. This is what we do :) Love the ansers to your questions. Your books sound great. Rock N' Roll ABC's sounds like an especially fun one!

Lilfix said...

Love your favorite words and your quote. Hugs...

Melissa Sarno said...

I can't listen to music while I write either. I'm too busy listening to the words or wanting to sing along :-) Discovered your blog through the comment challenge. Am enjoying all these new blogs I'm finding!

Blogstradamus said...

This is a great meme and great way to get to know your writing voice - p.s. thanks for the comment on my blog!

Kristen said...

I'm so glad I'm the the only one who has stuff written in fifth grade still hanging around the house. My husband thinks I'm nuts and my kids think I'm a dork. :-)