Monday, January 25, 2010

How Writing is Like Dancing

When I am not listening to music or spending time with family, I am writing. I like to write. I also like to dance. And writing is a lot like dancing. Think about it.

1. Practice. Practice. Practice. I started writing for children about four years ago. I look back at what I wrote in that first few months and shake my head. Could you do the zombie dance from the Thriller video the first time you tried it? Me neither. But man, I practiced and now I can thrill you more than any ghoul would ever dare try.
2. Yes, classes do help. I have taken a writing class and a poetry class in the last few years that have led to tighter writing and a few acceptances. Assignments also force you to try styles of writing you might not otherwise. When I took dance classes long ago, I learned shuffle-ball- change, a pirouette, and much more. Should I try the hip hop class next?
3. Keep hydrated. You need to be alert. Get that Starbucks coffee or in my case, fountain pop Coke from McDonald’s or better yet, a nice tall glass of ice water. Now that you are refreshed, get to that writing. Take sips in between paragraphs, and keep going! When it is time to dance, you also need hydration. Ice water is best here, too, but sometimes a margarita is much more effective to get those hips shakin’.
4. You will fail, and you will succeed. Yes, you have had rejections from publishers. But you tried and tried again. And received an acceptance. That made you dance. Then you tried to do the lambada* with the cable guy. Rejection again. But then you did the hokey pokey with your five year old. Success!
5. Once in a while, let loose and freestyle. Don’t outline. Don’t plan. Just let the words flow. You can revise later. Then turn on the music and move. Shake it, baby, shake it! Just move! You can put ice on your sore muscles later.

*Author’s note: No, I really have never danced the lambada with the cable guy. The Macarena, yes. But not the lambada.


Well, looky here. This is how I write.



And this is how I DANCE!

37 comments:

jama said...

Love this post! What a great way to start the week. Didn't realize you had such a low, sexy voice :)! And those dance moves! Rock on!

Heather Kelly said...

Oh, man, Kelly! I love your moves! Let's go dancing sometime soon, 'kay? 'Ritas and Rockin' out, shall we?

Jonathon Arntson said...

Hmmmm...if writing is like dancing, then I think I'm gonna quit.

Not!

No, but seriously...

Tina Lee said...

I'm so glad I was here for this! It's like a gift. Happy Monday!!! I love the zebra snuggly, not sure why you didn't wear that dancing.

Kimber said...

I just love the Kelly Dances video...makes me smile and remember every time.

Kelly said...

Thanks, Jama, for being the one and only person to ever tell me I have a sexy voice. :)
Heather- Tell me when and where!:)
Jonathon- Have you tried writing while you were dancing??? That might be tough...
Tina-Hmmmm, the snuggie may inhibit some movement, but yet it would be too cool not to wear dancing!

Kelly said...

Thanks, Kimberly! I'm sure I've danced with you at one point at another in our life!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Great analogy, Kelly - I love it! I love the vids more, though. :-)

Laura Pauling said...

Ha! Ha! That was great. And that snuggie looks totally cool. I need me one of those. - Laura

Solvang Sherrie said...

Love the jungle print snuggie! And J-Man rocks for being your camera man (and knowing a word that rhymed with orange!).

Bish Denham said...

Kool Kelly! I love to dance too.

Sliding on the Edge said...

Thanks for the fun and the philosophy. I've always thought writing was like cooking because there's a lot of improv in that as well, but dancing is more fun.

Kelly said...

Ha! Thanks, Shannon!
Laura- They are quite comfy! Even my kids have 'em!
Sherrie- He even missed some of the football game to tape me!
Bish- Do a vlog of your dancing, Bish so we can dance together!
Sliding- I hope I am a much better dancer and writer than a cook!

Kelly H-Y said...

Oh my goodness, Kelly, you crack me up! Loved the writing video (the Snuggy cracked me up!), and it was a perfect time to re-post your dance moves video! Love it!

Denise said...

How fun!

Kim Kasch said...

Thanks for making me smile :) on a MONDAY :(

J.A. Palermo said...

OMG! Kelly! Forget the low, sexy voice...you've got a snuggie! A zebra snuggie! You are way cool.

Elana Johnson said...

I love the parallel here! And dude, I so want to do that Thriller dance. So. Bad.

Tess said...

What a fun, fun post! JLo has nothing on your dance moves...and, the Snuggie? priceless.

Alissa said...

Fun videos, especially that dancing one!

I will submit a word of caution on hydration and writing, always keep beverages a safe distance from computers. I once suffered a tragic computer loss, when my cat knocked an entire mug of Earl Grey tea onto my computer.

Kelly said...

Kelly- I knew the snuggie would get a chuckle from someone!
Denise- Hey sis!
Kim- Mondays do need a smile sometimes!
JA- My husband gave me the zebra snuggie for me for Xmas!
Elana- Now you need to vlog the Thriller dance next!
Ha! Thanks, Tess!
Alissa- Oh, man! Good point!!

Jen said...

I just came across your blog and fell in love with your posts! How fun!!!

I look forward to seeing what you write from here on out!!!

Love the videos, lol

Rhonda said...

kelly,you crack me up!!!

Niki said...

hehe Loved your dancing! Miss7 and Master5 were giggling all the way through it! :o)

The Wild About Writing Trio said...

Great advice, Kelly! I love writing and dancing, too. In fact, hubby and I are starting a ballroom class this week :)

Kim

Kristi said...

What a great post! Love the similarities you point out between writing and dancing...very cool!

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love meeting fellow writer's and I will be sure to be back to find out what you are up to!

Anita said...

Yay! I watched with Boy and he said the videos were "Super Dee Duper Fun!" and he wants to video more of you. He particularly liked your outfit by the field with the pink pants (Boy has three older sisters, so he notices these things).

And you make writing sound so easy...could totally use you as a coach.

Yay, again!

Anita said...

Oh, yes...I do want to add you voice does sound deeper in this video...maybe I've never heard it before. Middle Daughter has a voice just like this (she's only 8) and people comment on it all the time and say she should be doing voice-overs.

Nandini said...

OMG I want that snuggy!! Though, if I had one I might never take it off ... Kelly, you're getting Critter next. Could you email me your address so I can send him on? Love your dance video!!!

MG Higgins said...

That's what I'm missing -- the snuggy! Oh, my writing would improve tremendously if only I had a snuggy. Really cute videos, Kelly!

madelyn said...

So fun. And freeing! (Passing gas joke = chacha.)

Rena said...

Love it. I didn't realize your voice was that deep, or husky sounding. Very cool!

Kristi said...

Love this! I have to say I'd be a bit embarrassed to post a video of MY dancing online. Plus, I'd hate to inflict that sight on anyone.

Christina Farley said...

I seriously died. This was so great. And funny! Great dancing too!

Keri Mikulski said...

So true!! Love this comparison and your dance. :)

Thanks for making me smile. :)

Michelle The Artist said...

Great videos! I think I'm going to send my hubby out to get me a snuggy. Do they come in tiger stripes? :)

DebraLSchubert said...

This freaking cracked me up. Love the hydration and the snuggie. So I need to start out with a hook, huh?... Wow. So much to learn. ;-)