Friday, January 15, 2010

Poetry Friday


I have a problem.

My husband told me about a cool word game a few weeks ago. I told him I was too busy to try it. He insisted that I would love it and to try it. And so this week I did try it (like a dutiful wife would).
What did I get myself into?! The game is on Lumosity and it is called Word Bubble. I love words, so he knew I would love this game. I bookmarked it. Then for three days I ignored making dinner (thanks, hubby), ignored a few regularly watched TV shows, ignored prime writing time, ignored my children at one point or another (sorry, babies), and I stayed up way too late. My eyes ached from staring so intently at the computer screen. All because of this freaking game.

I would only stop at night because my computer battery would die (I'm not kidding). I'd drag myself to bed and try to sleep, but I only saw words floating in my brain. If I had an extra few minutes, I'd tell myself I'd have time to just do three games. Only three. Three turned into ten. And so on.

Thankfully I had writing group last night, so I didn't play for all hours (and I actually accomplished something. I finished my final revisions on my manuscript. YAY!). So I told myself today that I HAD to get more done. I would not play. But I did. I can't help it. I am getting better. I played less than three tries today.

I wish I knew how to quit you, Word Bubble.


Would you like a love/hate relationship with a word game? The object of the game is to write as many words as you can that begin with the three letter combination given. You can only write so many four letter words, five letter words and so on in a given amount of time. Try it! You know you'll like it. It really is challenging and fun. Here's the link to WORD BUBBLE!
Edited to add: So I've been playing this game over and over, and I just realized the correct name of the game is Word Bubbles NOT Word Bubble. Close, but as you can see my brain is a bit strained...


A LIMERICK

There once was a game called Word Bubble
I brainstormed words on the double.
I racked my brain.
It drove me insane.
I swear that game’s only trouble!

Find better poetry than this at the Poetry Roundup at Great Kid Books.

26 comments:

Solvang Sherrie said...

Too funny!
I am a recovering Word Twist addict. It's on Facebook and I swear I can't play just one. Or two or three. It's a frightening obsession.

Jonathon Arntson said...

I love that game! At least it makes you think, I've been addicted to flood for a long time.

Paul Michael Murphy said...

The world needs more limericks.

Tina Lee said...

Are those your eyes up there? They are phenomenal! Great story. I'm scared to try. I don't think I'd get away with forgetting to make dinner.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Ooooo, a word game?! Bring it on. I'm sure my hubby and kids wouldn't mind - right? :-)

I'm going to check it out. Soon.

Kelly H-Y said...

That's hilarious. Oh my ... I'd better not even start!

Kelly said...

Sherrie-Word Twist sounds like something I'd like, but not sure I need another distraction! :)
Jonathon- The fact that it's a thinking game makes me think that I'm not really wasting time by playing it! ;0
Murph- I concur.
Tina- Those are my eyes, but before they got all red from staying up late playing Word Bubbles!
Shannon- If you do decide to play, let me know if you need an intervention... ;)
Kelly- Seriously, that's how I feel. I love it, but I wish I'd never started playing it!

PJ Hoover said...

I love your limerick! And are those really your eyes?

Sharon Mayhew said...

Kelly--So funny! I have the same problem with Bookworm. I've never been an electronic game person, but I can play it for hours.

Kim Kasch said...

I love this one: http://www.bartbonte.com/mustpopwords

Rena said...

Noooooooo -- not another distraction!

Kelly said...

PJ- Thanks, and yes!
Sharon- It's so fun, but there's so many other things I need to do!
Kim- I just tried it, I like the popping. I can't bookmark it or I'll never get anything done!
Rena- I hear ya!!!!

Bish Denham said...

Oh, this is mean, mean, mean I say,
to give me another word came to play.

nikki said...

OMG Kel, that was hilarious. You know,whenever my battery is getting low, I just move and plug it in ;)

brain training pro said...

Now, I wonder whether all that word play will help your poetry? I suspect it might.

Denise said...

OK, yeah. That game is addicting. I just played it three times in row. I really want to keep playing, but... must stop.

Anita said...

I will NEVER link to that site!!!

aloi (guiltlessreading) said...

o m g. i need to NOT bookmark this one. i just spent 5 minutes on it and i KNOW i will be hooked.

Rhonda said...

Bryan has the same problem with the Batman lego wii game. he's obsessed. 1-800-addicts might be needed here. I'll look for you in the intervention show

aelko said...

... must to commit to momery. :)

Kelly said...

Bish, Nikki, BTPro, Denise, Anita, Aloi, Rhonda, and Aelko,
I can't comment right now, I'm playing Word Bubbles (and the one that Kim suggested too!!!! ARGH!)!
Somebody stop me!

Kristi said...

Noooo! Not another online game addiction! I'm already struggling with Bejeweled and Scramble and WordTwist on Facebook, and now this? I will never get anything done again.

Angela said...

On no....I love word games! Looks like I'll have another procrastination tool at my fingertips!

Sandra Stiles said...

Okay I temporarily got sucked into the Word Bubble game. Like Solvang Sherrie, I used to play Word Twist and other word games. Too easy for me to spend hours on them. I need nothing else to distract me.

lyfizgud said...

"Hello...My name is Kelly and I'm addicted to Word Bubbles" teehee :)

Peggy Archer said...

OK, I love word games, too! I'd better not start on this one, but...
I'm impressed with your list of publihed poetry.