Thursday, November 12, 2009

Dare 2 Dream

Last Thursday my sister and I attended the Dare 2 Dream benefit concert to hear some great music and to support pediatric blood cancer research. When I was a teacher, one of the students (who was also the daughter of a bus driver) at our school died of leukemia. It was absolutely heartbreaking. Cancer is such a difficult illness in the first place, but when it affects a child it is all the more tragic. We were happy to be part of this event and support the children in need. Of course I'm happy to listen to live music, so to listen to it and support a great cause is twice as nice!
I took the train to Chicago to meet my sister Denise, and we walked in to the House of Blues in time to hear the second musical act, The Lovehammers. Does anyone remember the NBC show, Rockstar: INXS where the members of INXS tried to find a new lead singer? I loved that show, and the runner up was the singer, Marty Casey, from the Lovehammers, a Chicago area band. Marty Casey also attended the University of Illinois a few years behind me! I had always wanted to see the Lovehammers, so I was excited to finally hear them live. They were great!
Next was Gavin Rossdale - lead singer of 90's band Bush, husband of Gwen Stefani, and now solo artist. Last year I bought several songs from his latest solo album, Wanderlust. His song, "Love Remains the Same" was a featured Tune for Tuesday also last year. This was my first time seeing him live, and I love his music even more now! A 6'1", very lean and muscular Gavin played several songs from his Bush career like "Machinehead," "Glycerine," and "Come Down." He also played favorites of mine from his solo album and sang a cover of Stevie Nick's "Landslide," another one of my favorite songs. Here is the actual set list. (Thanks to Tony for the pics, I had to check my camera at the concert!)
Photobucket



This man can rock it out and make the ladies swoon. During the rock songs, he jumped up and down and headbanged so much I thought he was going to bump his head on the microphone stand! During the slower songs, he'd hold onto a (very lucky) front row gal's hand and look into her eyes and sing the song to them! He did this with many of the ladies in the front row, and they were smiling ear to ear. (And I tell you next Gavin Rossdale concert I go to, I am getting my buttinsky in that front row!!) My sis and I were pretty darn close to the stage, but I'm getting to the venue earlier next time to secure a front row spot! That man is one swoon worthy rockstar!

Photobucket
Photobucket


My sister and I had a fun girly night out. The benefit ended at 9:30 (this old lady wishes all concerts ended this early!), so we went out for a martini (chocolate martini for me) afterwards. And I learned a have a very low tolerance for hard liquor. One martini got me loopy I tell you!


Photobucket
Here's Gavin singing Bush song, "Glycerine" at Dare 2 Dream! (sigh!)













19 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

Sweet time! I also have a low hard liquor tolerance.
I'm really thinking I need to head to a concert again soon!

WordWrangler said...

Sounds like you had a blast! :)

hugs,
Donna

adrienne said...

Looks like a great time!

Lilfix said...

Sounds like you had a great time...it is always great when you can have such a good time with a sister...sisters just make it so much more special...grin...Hugs...

Kelly H-Y said...

What a great cause!!! I hate cancer ... we're dealing with it in our family with my Mom ... which is horrid enough. But, when it's a child ... it's just unimaginable.

Anita said...

Loooved the RockStar INXS! I'm still saying, "I'm sorry. You're just not right for our band."

Solvang Sherrie said...

What a concert! I loved RockStar:INXS and I love Marty Casey. I bought his album after he was on that show. "Trees" is a brilliant song :) You always get to go to the best concerts!

Kim Kasch said...

Way to support the cause - and with a chocolate martini - I love those.

Carrie Harris said...

NOOOOO! You saw Marty Casey AND Gavin Rossdale? And I wasn't invited? How can you do this to me?!?!

Uh... can you tell that I'm jealous?

TerryLynnJohnson said...

Hey just stopping in to say thank you for your support on Verla Kay. I have a story, A Sled Dog Tale, coming next month in Stories for Children also! I'm a new follower.

Kelly said...

Thanks, ladies!!
Regarding Marty Casey, Trees was the first song I ever bought on Itunes for my ipod!! And can you believe he did NOT play it at the concert!!!But it was still awesome.

WordWrangler said...

Kelly - I received your email...but then it disappeared from my inbox. GRRR! AOL is only showing my email from 3 days ago right now. Would you please, pretty please, with sugar on top, send it to me again?

The book came today. You're going to love it!

hugs,
Donna

Shelli said...

man you were close!

MG Higgins said...

Wow, it sounds like you had a wonderful time. And how cool that you shared it with your sister!

A chocolate martini! Ooh, I must try this.

Kiki Hamilton said...

Hi Kelly - it looks like a great time! I do remember when INXS was looking for their new lead singer. I didn't listen to them much in the day but I enjoyed that show. Gavin is a hunk! Wish I would've been in the front row too! :-) Nothing better than a cute guy playing the guitar.

Keri Mikulski said...

Nice!!

Gavin is such a hottie. :)

Nora MacFarlane said...

Sounds like a great time!

Rena said...

Looks like a lot of fun, Kelly!

Mary Witzl said...

I like it when concerts end early too! And my name to the 'no tolerance for alcohol' list. (Gee...what a total wet blanket I sound!)