Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Tune for Tuesday


I had a totally different song all ready for today until I saw this video clip.



That's Poison playing at the Tony Awards. And BAM! That's Bret Michaels getting a beat down from a stage prop. That seriously HAD to hurt! I hope it didn't knock his wig off! Poor guy!
I wondered, "Why in the world is Poison playing at the Tony's?" The answer is some of their songs are featured in the Broadway musical, Rock of Ages. That is one musical I so want to see! Like totally!
Poison is a fun band. It's not my favorite band. It's not the most prolific band. But they are really fun to see live. Their songs are catchy and just fun party songs. I've seen them live twice (see picture with me and drummer, Rikki Rockett) and I've even seen Bret Michaels perform solo.
PhotobucketAnd yes, I even watched VH1's Rock of Love. The first two seasons at least. It was a train wreck, but I had to watch. It was entertaining, yet it made me cringe, too!
Poison had many hits in the '80's including "Nothin' But a Good Time" and "Every Rose Has Its Thorn." I have tickets to see them and Def Leppard this summer, but have to sell them as a family wedding is on the same day.
Here's my favorite Poison song, "Fallen Angel." Get out your hairspray and rock on, dudes! What are some of your favorite songs from the hair band days?

18 comments:

Tee Brown said...

Kelly--I don't think I know anyone who is into music as much as you.

I'm not as musically well-versed (so I don't comment much), but today, I just wanted to say that you really impress me! Rock on!

Tee

Kelly said...

Thanks, Tee! You will not be surprised to learn that I have a Rock n Roll PB that is in submissions and my current WIP has a rock n roll edge to it!

adrienne said...

That 80s hair always makes me laugh!
Rock of Ages sounds like a fun show.

The Wild About Writing Trio said...

Love Poison! I'm glad you explained why Poison was at the Tonys. I saw the footage of him getting hit and wondered what he was doing there. Rock of Ages sounds like a very cool show!

Kim

Big Plain V said...

I hate to admit this, but I played guitar in a glam band in the eighties, and Poison was our main influence.

I still play three or four of their songs.

Now everybody thinks I'm gay.

Kelly said...

Adrienne- I know, that HAIR! I think the musical would be really fun!
Kim- I had to google as to why Poison was there! It seemed so odd!
V- Now you know you have to post old photos of you in the glam band (or better yet, video footage!).

Suzanne Casamento said...

I haven't heard Fallen Angel in like 20 years. Wow - flashback! My hair was as big as the band's back then.

How funny are you? "I hope it didn't knock his wig off!"

LOL!

Kelly H-Y said...

Yikes! Yes ... I would have never connected Poison to the Tony's ... thanks for the explanation! :-)

Rena said...

Ouch! That knocked him all the way back.

Paul Michael Murphy said...

How bad of a person am I if I laughed?

Hypothetically, of course.

Lilfix said...

I had heard about this, but didn't know what they were talking about...ouch!

Keri Mikulski said...

Avid watcher of Rock of Love.. I think I've seen every single episode.. Something about Brett.. It's like I want to be the one who changes him. Yikes. :)

I didn't see the Tony's..I hope Brett iss okay.. Is he with 'what's her name?' still?? I liked him best with the first season winner. :)

My hubby and I were going to snag tickets for Def Leopard, Poison, and (here in Jersey) Cheap Trick, but they were sold out.. :)

Christina Farley said...

I'm not good with names of that time period but I still love the hair styles. Classic!

Carrie Harris said...

Holy cow! I'd heard about this but didn't see the clip until now. I've got a sympathetic headache now.

Anita said...

OUCH!!!

Shelli said...

i love seeing music through your eyes :) or is it hearing it through your ears?

Colorado Writer said...

I had a crush on Poison in high school.

Denise said...

Ouch!