Sunday, June 14, 2009

Garage Sale!

Yup, we had a garage sale last weekend. I had been both looking forward to and dreading this sale since my husband and I decided to bite the bullet and just do it. For a few weeks, I’ve been going through my children’s drawers and closets for too-small clothes (there was a lot). Then we went through their toys. They were pretty good about choosing toys they didn’t want anymore. My six year old daughter gave up almost all of her Disney Princess things. She says she’s too old for that kind of stuff. (Sigh.) My hubby and I were excited about giving away large things that take up room and never get used and of course making a little money in the process.
We sold our wares all day on Thursday and Friday and a few hours on Saturday morning (since we had ball games on Saturday and a dance recital on Sunday). We set up a pop stand to keep the kids busy. They were arguing over who would sell the pop first (a very sugary variety of black cherry, grape, lemon-lime and Dr. Chill, yes a rip off of Dr. Pepper, but a tasty one!), but lost interest quickly. I rarely let them have pop, but I thought since it was the first week of summer and they were in charge of it, they could have two per day. Hello purple stained shirts, faces, and wired kids! Usually it was unmanned (or unkidded) as they were off playing with the neighbor kids most of the days (they had to run off the sugar somehow…).
Key items sold: large toddler outdoor play set, a battery operated Hummer that didn’t work –we were upfront with the state of it and sold it for $10, two tricycles, a double jogging stroller, a ride on battery operated train and a big ole plow blade. My babies are growing up! (Sigh again.) But then again, those are the big items that take up so much space.
The funniest thing sold was a Hannah Montana wig. My neighbor also had a garage sale, and her daughter and my kids came running from her house telling us that some teenage boys just bought all their play wigs and a blow up unicorn. They were coming our way so I raced into the house and grabbed my daughter’s scraggly Hannah Montana wig that she didn’t want anymore (and I didn’t put out because it was a mess). The boys walked in the garage, bought that scraggly wig, and even gave the kids some quarters for the pop stand even though they didn’t want any pop! Then with their wigs in place and the blow up unicorn sticking out of their sunroof, they sped off to impress some chicks who appreciate guys with a good sense of humor (that or they were going to go see the Hannah Montana movie).
We made about $500 which was a few hundred less than our last one seven years ago, but the best part is we have more room. We’ll pack most of the other stuff and send it off to Purple Heart or Goodwill.
Is anyone else attempting a garage sale this summer??

19 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

Good for you! Glad it was a success!
No garage sales for me. I donate and claim it on taxes.
Have a great week!

Bish Denham said...

So neat and organized! Depite the work it took, sounds like you had a good time and made a little $$ too! Not bad for a couple of days.

Big Plain V said...

Sounds awesome. I wish I could have one but only three or four people drive down our road on any given day. And most likely, they live out here in the ever-fields too. They probably have overstuffed barns of their own and wouldn't be interested in any of the junk I'd try to get rid of.

The Wild About Writing Trio said...

Our church had a sale this weekend. I sent all of our stuff down to let them sell. They of course got the money for anything that sold, but I didn't have to bring any of it back into the house :)

Btw, I enjoy Dr. Chill, too!

Kim

Keri Mikulski said...

Sounds like a success! :)

No garage sales here.. Maybe next summer. :)

Kelly said...

PJ-We usually do that, too. It's a great tax deduction!
Bish-My hubby scrubbed and organized the garage for two days before the sale. This sale really got us into gear to organize!
V-Barns are definitely for overstuffing! (my inlaws had one!)
Kim-Good idea, I can bring some of my left over stuff to the church, too.
Keri- It was worth the trouble, but I couldn't do it every summer!

Paul Michael Murphy said...

I would have bought a grape pop.

Suzanne Casamento said...

$500! Nice work! I had a garage sale with some friends a few weeks ago and made about $100. I was thrilled.

You're right - the best part is getting rid of stuff! : )

adrienne said...

As much as we could use the $$, I usually just pile stuff together and give it to charity. My husband hates doing garage sales even more than I do!
Two pops a day - you are a brave mom!

Rhonda said...

Score on the garage sale. Im with you on procrastinating. I hate the whole process, but that sounds like it was worth all the work.

Rena said...

We used to have them all the time, but we haven't since we moved to Montana. We're just way out of the way on a dead-end road. Maybe one of these days all the neighbors will get together and do one big sale. That would be fun and I'm sure more people would show up.

Sounds like you did great, Kelly!

Angela said...

It is kind of sad to go through the toys, because it shows you how your kids are growing up when they give up items they once couldn't live without. But, it's nice to see some little kid come and find that special toy in a box and be all excited to take it home, too. It's good to know the things our kids cared about will continue to be loved by other children.

Lilfix said...

I love going to yard sales, but have only had one of my own...once Son moved out, we started piling things in his old room...one of these days I might get around to having a yard sale of my own...grin...

Anita said...

$500?! That must've been some garage sale! You almost motivated me. But not quite.

david mcmahon said...

We're deep into winter here, but as a father of three, I'm not surprised the Hannah Montana wig was a big attraction.

lyfizgud said...

Hey Kelly...Dana and I are having a sale tomorrow and Friday...I swore off garage sales years ago because they are sooooooooooo much work and rarely profitable, but I've actually enjoyed getting ready for this one...I love organizing and purging...hopefully we'll make some ca$h and have some fun along the way... :) And since our weather STINKS, it's not like we'll be missing out on some wonderful summer fun! ha!

C.R. Evers said...

I hope it went well! I can't get up the energy to have a garage sale. You go girl!

Carrie Harris said...

Yep. We're garage sale-ing later on this summer. That $500 of yours is really impressive! I'd be happy with half that!

Monica said...

funniest lemonade seller i went to, this young kid selling lemonade for a quarter a cup. All i had was a toonie (that's a two dollar cdn coin, for all you 'mericans). I asked him if he had change and he said "No." and took my toonie..... so.. i just walked away with my cup of lemonade. sigh.