Thursday, January 20, 2011

This and That Thursday

LIFE
My family of five attended the Wisconsin/Illinois college basketball game last weekend. It was the first collegiate ball game for the kids. They were amazed at how big the Kohl Center was, plus they loved all the excitement (and snacks). I went to the University of Illinois, so I was a minority in the crowd in orange. I told the kids I didn't care if they rooted for the Badgers as we will be living in Wisconsin sometime this year. So my youngest stayed loyal to his mom in blue and orange, and the older two sported new red Badger wear for the game. We don't care if they wear red, but they will never wear green and yellow. Go Bears on Sunday!
WRITING

I'm happily in the final stages of revision of my middle grade. I had fabulous suggestions from my reader friends, and the manuscript is better than ever!

Congrats to my mystery friend from two weeks ago, Samantha Verant! Sam is now represented by Stephanie DeVita of Dystel & Goderich! Félicitations, Samantha! Please go congratulate her at her Life, Love, and Living in France blog!
C. Lee McKenzie's second book, The Princess of Las Pulgas was released in December. Congrats, Lee! If you are in Cali, she is having a book signing today at Books, Inc. in Palo Alto!

BLOG CONTESTS

Theresa at Substitute Teacher's Saga is having a Four Hundred Follower Fiesta! Fab prizes include a query critique and books! Check it out!

Larissa is giving away some amazing books including Carrie Ryan's newest! Stop by Larissa's World to enter!
Have a fabulous day!

20 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Never a cheesehead, huh? Don't blame you. I hope the Bears win as well.

Denise Maple said...

Go Bears! Go Illini! Orange and blue all the way.

Lindsay N. Currie said...

Ahhh GO BEARS!!!! Looking forward to the game and the excitement in CHicago afterwards (if they win, of course:)

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

My husband would go bananas if any of our kids ever sported blue and gold. We're Purdue fans in our house...

Major congrats to your friend Samantha! I'll be sure to stop by her blog!

Her highness, Samantha Vérant said...

Thanks, Kelly! You're the bomb!

Matthew Rush said...

I'm hoping for no yellow in the superbowl. No yellow of any kind.

Kelly said...

Alex - I guess we will be cheeseheads, but never Packer Backers! :)
Denise - Go Orange and Blue!
Lindsay - The family is crazed with excitement over the game on Sunday!
Carol - I visited Purdue once in college! But go Illini! :)
You are welcome, Sam. I love ya, but I'm not sure if I can call you Your Highness...
Matthew - Sounds good to me!

Suzanne Casamento said...

Sounds like you guys had a great time at the game. And congrats to all your writer friends! :)

Kristi said...

Are you going to whack me with something if I say I like GB? LOL.

Glad you had fun with the family...sounds like you made some great memories!

Thanks for the linkage...I'm off to wish my congrats!

Beth said...

Thanks for the heads-up on the contests!
I don't watch a lot of football, but this time of year I try to watch them all. Can't wait til the weekend!

Jemi Fraser said...

We become so attached to 'our' teams, don't we?? :)

Thanks for all the links :)

Kim Kasch said...

Wait just one minute...green and yellow...those are duck colors and you've dissed my ducks!

Guess I'm gonna hafta have a Quack Attack ;)

Laura Pauling said...

That's great you're almost done with revisions. That must be a good feeling, maybe a little nerve-wracking knowing that the query stage is almost here! Or maybe that's just exciting!

Christina Lee said...

How awesome is it to be in the home stretch of revisions?? Sigh-can't wait!

storyqueen said...

Yay for your middle grade! I have just kind of finished a round of revision myself, so I know how good it feels to be coming to the end.

Have a great weekend!

Shelley

Jennifer Shirk said...

Way to go on those revisions!!

Lots of good news here! Thx for the links!

C.R. Evers said...

My hubby and his family are from Wisconsin, my family is from Illinois. This Sunday's game is going to be more exciting than the Super Bowl in my house. Yikes!

Yaya' s Home said...

I once went to a hockey game with some friends an', except for the occasional high school soirée, I tend to avoid all such excitement. It thrills me to think that so many people can enjoy sports, but I have never been really good at sorting out which person belongs on which team; much less, who should be running which direction at any given moment.

Thanks for all the links. I'll head over an' check 'em out.

Hugs,
~ Yaya

Kelly said...

Suz - It was an amazing game even though Illini lost!
Kristi - Thanks and go Bears. :)
Beth - Sunday afternoon is going to be crazy in our house (heck, our state and the state above us!)
Jemi - Definitely. I actually don't watch a lot of games, but my hubby and mom are huge fans!
Kim - I like Ducks, you are safe. :)
Laura - Yes, relief will turn into nervousness!
Christina - Good luck to yoU!
Thanks, Shelley, you have a great one, too!
Thanks for coming by, Jennifer!
Christy - Whoa! I hope everyone will be speaking Sunday night!
Yaya- Yeah, I think sometimes it depends on how you grew up. My parents were very into sports.

Susan Fields said...

Good luck finishing your revisions - what an awesome feeling!