Thursday, December 2, 2010

This and That Thursday

WRITING
1. Have you checked to see if you were one of seventeen winners in the Critterpalooza contest? Check the winners here. Congrats to LadyJai who I will be sending a Poetry Pack of Poetrees by Douglas Florian and Stampede by Laura Salas. Douglas and Laura were kind enough to send signed nameplates to go with the book as well.

2. Now that I'm done with the first draft of my middle grade manuscript, I've been breaking it down chapter by chapter. Soon I'll send it to some readers. Maybe to a few agents come January.

3. Still getting the hang of Twitter. I participated (okay, lurked) at my first #yalitchat last night. I also tweeted Maggie Stiefvater about something and she replied back! That made my day! I've been enjoying following some fave rockers and comedians, too, and of course some of you fabulous people!
4. Another awesome webinar is being offered by agent Mark McVeigh! Check out the details HERE!

LIFE
Both of my boys started their basketball season recently. So if I'm not at home, I'll be at the gym cheering them on or chauffering them to and from practice. My daughter's cheer season ends this weekend. She is competing at the state competition. Before she joined this year, I had no idea how involved cheerleading was these days! It is definitely a sport now. I do have to admit they are darn good for seven and eight year olds. I just showed my kids a video of me cheering in high school. We thought we were hot stuff doing a simple stunt. It's nothing compared to what stunts they do now, even in grade school! I'm thankful that my daughter is tall like me and will never be a flyer!


MUSIC
I'm loving the holiday tunes about now. I received Monster Christmas Ballads last year for Christmas. Yes, 80's hair bands singin' the carols. I have been playing a Christmas mix of My Chemical Romance, Smashing Pumpkins, Jewel, Elvis, No Doubt, Chicago plus my new rockin' ballads. Buckcherry just came out with a new Christmas tune, "Christmas is Here," which I promptly bought, too. Just because it's a holiday tune, doesn't mean it can't rock! See the picture for their Christmas single above. I tell you it took me forever to get that paint off my arse!
Speaking of Christmas, Sharon Mayhew gave me a heads up on something I need to put on my wish list. Anyone want to join me?
Who is your favorite holiday warbler?

23 comments:

Candyland said...

Kel, do you even have to ask? ;)

Laura Pauling said...

Last night's yalitchat was packed with agents and published authors. I could barely keep up with the reading, never mind comment! Good for you.

Stephen Tremp said...

I like all Christmas music from the old crooners to the new stuff. Dee Snyder and friends had some cool remakes.

MG Higgins said...

Kelly, you crack me up. For some reason, I think of you as a staid suburb mom, but then you post about R&R and totally blow that image! I love it. Good work on your MG, and thanks for keeping us informed on your Twitter exploits. I'm still on the fence and your adventures might sway me.

Kelly said...

Candace- Will they serenade us with Jingle Bells at the concert? :)
Laura- I was amazed at how many people participated! It was fun to read! It was hard to keep up!
Stephen - I grew up listening to Johnny Mathis Christmas carols. He's got a beautiful voice. And yes, I think Dee Snyder did a remake with Lita Ford!
Melissa- I really am a boring suburban mom the majority of the time, but with rock playing in the background. :)

Tina Laurel Lee said...

No way are you boring!

Lola Sharp said...

I love to rock my Christmas music too...but I also like the old classics and the new pop versions as well. Loves my music, just like you.

Congrats on finishing your first draft and good luck with revisions. :)

I still haven't fallen in love with twitter like everyone else. I only pop on there once in a while, to say hello and maybe pimp someone else's book or post (never mine). Then I jump out and scurry away.

Happy December! :) *hugs*

Lola Sharp said...

Also, I know Tommy Lee is getting old, and he's kinda hepatitis-ed and diseased and stuff...but still, he's hot.

HOT.

(that smile still kills me)

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Okay, don't hate me...promise? You have to promise! *takes deep breath, risking public shunning* Barry Manilow. There, I said it. And I meant it. :-)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Favorite Christmas warble? Anything by Trans Siberian Orchestra.

DEZMOND said...

congrats on the success of your kids, Kelly and on finishing the manuscript.

Anita said...

It sounds like you're still having fun, even with all you've got going on...I am so glad daughters aren't cheerleading. I think a lot of my joint issues have to do with all that jumping and landing. Crazy stuff. But fun while young, right?

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Hey if you and Candyland are going I want to go too!

Rena said...

Sounds like a busy time for you. That's great your so involved with what your kids are doing.

I don't have any particular favorite artist for Christmas music, but Carol of the Bells is my favorite song.

LOL @ the paint on your arse!

Kelly said...

Tina- Yes, I admit it, I'm boring at times. :)
Lola - LOL about Tommy! He has that boyish charm to go along with his never grow up attitude!
Shannon - Barry is a classic.
Alex- TSO is fun to listen to!
Thanks, Dezz!
Anita- I kind of dreaded the cheer season, mostly because I thought the moms would be over the top. But it's been fun (but glad it's almost over for now!).
Sharon - Yay! Would be a blast!
Rena - You have a Carol of the Bells playlist, don't you?!

Kim Kasch said...

I LOVE holiday tunes whether they are sung, played on the violin, guitar or even the drums. It's one thing we all do every year - sing Christmas Carols. Some years we've even been seen going door to door - of course I stand in the background and keep my voice low. ;)Wouldn't want to scare anyone and bring Halloween to mind at this time of year.

Samantha VĂ©rant said...

Kelly? A warbler? You crack me up! I love the song by the Pretenders--2,000 miles.

Christina Lee said...

Hey-- I didn't see you at the chat! I would ahve waved! ;-)Yeah all of that Twitter stuff is pretty cool, right?

Kelly said...

Kim - How fun that you go caroling!
Sam- You'll have to learn some French Christmas carols this year!
Christina- I was very much lurking! I think I only posted once during the whole chat!

Anita said...

Oh! And I can't believe someone photoshopped that woman's face on my body. What the hell? That's like the time my husband's back was on your blog. How is this happening?

cleemckenzie said...

I saw you on yalitchat Wed. Wonderful. I keep bumping into all the people I know in the blogosphere. Small world it is. I'll pop over and follow you on twitter.

Happy Holidays. Keep the volume on Smashing Pumkins down. They get a bit loud on that Deck the Halls. Or is that Jewel? Can't remember.

Kelly said...

Anita- You've got to stop posting those kind of photos of yourself on the internet!
Lee- Thanks, Lee and happy holidays to you!

Ray Veen said...

I'll read for you, Kelly.