Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Dear Diary 3

I'm continuing my Dear Diary series just for kicks in case anyone wants to laugh at little Kelly or to gain some insight on a certain age group for their works in progress!
So far I have shared an entry about future occupations and vomit in my this series.

As I was perusing through my diary to decide which entry I'd put next, I discovered two things. One, I jumped around in my diary and it is not in chronological order which is currently not very helpful and two, I wrote about boys. A lot. I started writing about which boys were cute in third grade! Do girls already notice boys this young? My daughter had a "boyfriend" in first grade so I guess I unfortunately know the answer to that question. And she is her mother's daughter. My oldest son rarely mentions girls, but I have a feeling he notices them by now. Most of my diary entries from fifth grade through junior high are about, you guessed it, BOYS!

This is a peek at an entry from fourth grade, age nine. (Some names may or may not have been changed to protect the hotties, I mean innocent. My present day comments are in red.)
This is me from my fourth grade class picture. This fashionable fourth grader is wearing a velour top of her favorite shades of blue with light blue cordoroys. The Coke bottle glasses finish the look. Was I a babe magnet or what? HA!

Photobucket
Saturday, Feb 7

Dear Diary,

In school we are doing reports. I am doing it on rabbits. I HAD A BEAUTIFUL PET RABBIT NAMED ZIGGY. Lori already finished hers. My report is better though. DID I MENTION I WAS HUMBLE? I am almost finished. I'm still hoping that Les, Jon, and Brian like me. NOTICE I PUT AND - NOT OR. I SHOULD ALSO MENTION THAT LES WAS A 17 YEAR OLD BASKETBALL PLAYER ON MY DAD'S TEAM THAT I NEVER SPOKE TO ONCE. DID I REALLY THINK I HAD A CHANCE WITH HIM?! I want be a veterinarian, a teacher or something to do with animals when I grow up. GLAD I ENDED ON AN ASPIRATIONAL NOTE.

And what can we learn from this?

One, you are never too young to appreciate the opposite sex.

Two, sometimes a grade schooler's view can be totally out of whack (a high schooler?!).

Three, you can dream big and many do come true! (I did become a teacher and had a date with the Jon mentioned four years later.)
What childhood dreams of yours came true?

30 comments:

Bish Denham said...

I didn't date at all in high school. I didn't quite fit in...All the boys I knew were my friends. I did things with them girls didn't do, like go race slot-cars with them. Non of them dated me, they had girlfriends. I was "one of the guys."

As for a childhood dream coming true? Being a writer is one. Having peace of mind is another.

Christina Lee said...

too awesome and precious! I think I wanted the vet thing too!

storyqueen said...

Dream big, baby!

Kelly said...

Bish- Surprisingly even though I loved writing and reading, I never thought to be a writer in my childhood.
Christina- I also wanted a dog for a pet so badly. I just loved animals. But I didn't get my first dog until I was 25!
Shelley- Always! Ha!

Suzanne Casamento said...

I love that you wrote in a diary. I never wrote anything down.

Hilarious that you wanted THREE guys to like you! But then again, who wouldn't? ;)

PJ Hoover said...

Oh, I love your journal entries, Kelly! They are perfect. I wish I'd written more in my Nancy Drew diary, but it was not to be.

Tina Laurel Lee said...

I really enjoy your present day commentary! It was a great way to start my week.

Candyland said...

HA! You're so cute! I wanted to be a vet too. And I'd never post old journal entries. Yikes.

Kristi said...

Okay, this was WAY TOO FUN!

I love this series...how cool. I can't wait for the next installment!

Anita said...

We would've been BFFs. I had a huge crush on a boy that ran cross country with my older (eight years older) brother. Yeah, I'm sure that guy was noticing me. I also think I had the same glasses.

Denise said...

Hee hee. So cute!

Kim Kasch said...

I had a diary too but my brothers kept finding it and reading it. :(

I had a list of wants for my husband - and I got my wish - at least most of 'em

Kelly said...

Suzanne- I was boy crazy at an early age!
PJ- I wish I'd continued to write in it, but I stopped in high school.
Thanks, Tina! I'm not so moopy now.
Candace- I am being very selective as to which entries I'll post!
Thanks, Kristi!
Anita - Thank God for contacts (and Lasik surgery later on). And I am sure we'd have been buddies!!
Denise- What? No comment about me geekin'? ;)
Kim - I remember always being afraid my sister would read it too. In fact I'd write nasty messages to her in it in case she did!

Samantha VĂ©rant said...

Is it bad your photo made me snarf? (Thanks, Carrie) Wow, how you've blossomed. Funny, at the age of 13 I suffered with hard contact lenses, crying all day long! And nothing is wrong with velour. Not only is it soft, it made a comeback with Juicy Couture, which, for the record, I don't own. Anyways, here's to boy crazy girls! And I never thanked you for being the first follower on my new blog. So thank you, Kelly. Thank you for sharing this hysterical entry with us...and for being a friend.

Cynthia Chapman Willis said...

This is wonderful! I love that you wrote in a diary and kept that diary! I wrote journal entries, but trashed them after a period of time--always afraid that someone would read them. As if they were all that interesting. Oh, how I wish that I had kept them and could revisit my former self! Thanks for sharing! : )

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Great photo, Kelly! I love your thought process...school work...accademic competition...boys...career

I'm enjoying this series of posts. :) I hope you had a good weekend.

Kimberly Franklin said...

How cute! I love that you added you hoped that all of those boys still liked you. Can't forget the important stuff, can we? :)

Stina Lindenblatt said...

LOL I had two boyfriends at that age. Then I went though a long draught. Had tons of crushes, tho.

My 6 yo had lots of boyfriends last year. And I'm sure things won't have changed much by the time she hits her teens.

Jen said...

How special! So sweet of you to share! I had a boyfriend in Middle School for three hours, he scared me with all this weird antics and yelling in my classroom that he loved me. Love after one hour? Scares me!!! Yikes!!

This was so fun, thanks for the journal entries!

Laura Pauling said...

I think I had that same velour sweater thing in elementary school, too. It looks velour in the pics anyway!

Marcia said...

My little sister had five boyfriends in kindergarten.

Jennifer Shirk said...

How cute! And yeah, you were babe-alicious. LOL
My daughter is going into 3rd grade and so far she is anti-boy. So we'll see...

Kelly said...

Samantha- Hee! I laugh at my old photos all the time! My daughter can't get over how I looked like a boy in my childhood...And you are welcome, I am happy to be your friend!
Cynthia- I think I did write a few entries in a journal in hs but threw them away because it was just one entry a year, like a summary and I thought that was silly!
Thanks, Sharon. Looking back, it's good to see I cared about my studies!
Kimberly- The boys were the important stuff as a preteen! ;)
Stina- So true. Crushes upon crushes in junior high and they changed weekly.
Jen- Apparently that boy was not playing hard to get!
Laura- Gotta love the velour!
Marcia- At least I know there was a girl less boy crazy than I was!

cleemckenzie said...

Love those dreams, Kelly! I got mine and more. I wanted to see the world and maybe write some stories!

Hema P. said...

Kelly, you're making me regret not keeping a diary when I was little. It's funny how small things make us soar and even little things (like a fight with best friend) seem so big at that age, isn't it? Thanks for sharing these precious moments with us!

Theresa Milstein said...

What did I learn from this? Why have one boy like you when you can wish for three!

I wish I had old diaries too. I only saved one from junior high.

Solvang Sherrie said...

I love that you DID get a date with Jon! How cool is that?!

I've got plenty of pictures wearing those same glasses AND braces. I seriously resembled Ugly Betty growing up. Sad but true.

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

Man, I love this post. You were about the cutest thing in fourth grade, and then you made yourself totally awesome by writing such an adorable diary entry!! You know what? Go big or go home--you clearly had a sense of that from the get go. High schoolers for the win!

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

And what about adding some more images? I don’t want to offend anyone, text is really nice. But according to the scientists people acquire information much more effective if there are some helpful illustrations.

Lenny Tayfon
jamming a cell phone