Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Dear Diary 2: BLARRRGH!

The very first entry in my diary listed my job aspirations. I didn't write in my diary very regularly. The entries at age eight were few and far between. But I thought I'd share one more entry from the innocent age of eight. Because the majority of the remainder of my entries are mostly about....boys!

Saturday July 21

Mon. July 16 we went horse back riding and my horses name was Pal my moms Bay Mare Dad's Jean Denise's Pepper. The next day I was sick. I threw up 2 times. It was pink. See you later diary.


Apparently I didn't think my diary cared about punctuation or correct grammar...
I clearly remember that day. We were at my grandparent's cabin in northern Wisconsin. I am thinking that either the pink was from Pepto Bismol or lots of candy since we were on vacation. Not that I should sit and ponder about the contents of my puke. I should also note that It was pink was scratched out with pencil. My sister and mom peeked into my new diary and made fun of me for describing the color of my launched lunch. So I got embarrassed and scratched it out. Little did I know then that it would be a topic for a blog post much later!

I read this entry last week as I was perusing my diary. This past week I wrote three paragraphs about vomit in my middle grade book. I did describe the regurgitate. Why? Because I do think a fifth grade would notice such things. It's gross. But slightly intriguing. As I wrote, I also brainstormed many ways to say throw up: vomit, barf, regurgitate, stomach sludge, puke, hurl, blow chunks. Then I googled "other words for puke" and added these (don't you love google?): ralph, shout at your shoes, eject, toss your cookies, spew, launch lunch, upchuck, talk to the carpet, involuntary personal protein spill, un-eat, reverse drinking, and my personal favorite- scream cookies.

Now aren't you glad you stopped here at my blog today? Did I miss any words? Feel free to add more in the comments. Do you think Angela has vomit at the Bookshelf Muse yet?

What disgusting things has your character done lately?

EDITED: I just googled images to go with this to see if there were any funny cartoon throw up pictures to post with this. Warning: don't google vomit in images. I'm gagging. I'll just post the picture of my diary again. You are welcome.

29 comments:

Candyland said...

I actually thought about googling vomit when Lilli was sick. Thanks for the warning:)

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Ha ha ha! I will NEVER Google vomit! :-)

Anita said...

Several months ago, I was reading an agent's blog and the agent said she asks clients to never discuss things like body hair, flatulence, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. on their blogs nor during speaking engagements. Ever since I read that, I feel a horrible urge to just shout things like VOMIT! POOP! FART! SKIN TAG! on my blog.

Kelly said...

Candace and Shannon - Yes, it was a hard lesson learned. Heed my warning. :)
Anita - Uh oh. Apparently that is not the agent for me... BUUUUURP!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Fun stuff, Kelly! You were already doing research at 8! WTG!!!

Kimberly Franklin said...

That's cute, but "eww" to Googling vomit. Lol.

Denise said...

I just lost my lunch.

Jonathon Arntson said...

Between The Practice Room and here, Kelly, there's not a subject you won't breach :)

I think the contents of vomit are very interesting, just like dissecting and animal. It's all about mystery and adventure.

Lydia Kang said...

I've heard of something like "Worshipping the porcelain altar" or some such thing about bending over the toilet.
Gross. Nice post, ha ha.

Susan Fields said...

Thanks for not posting the Google images of vomit! I laughed out loud at your vomit synonyms. I think my favorite is "involuntary personal protein spill."

That's great that you can learn from your own diary what topics of are interest to kids. I wish I'd taken the time to write one when I was a kid.

Kelly said...

Sharon - Yes, that is one way to look at it! :)
Kimberly - The images were way too graphic.
Denise - What color was it?
Jon - Hee! Believe it or not, there are some lines that I just will not cross.
Lydia - That is another one!
Susan - I really am having so much fun looking back at my thoughts as a youth.

~Nicole Ducleroir~ said...

Oh Kelly, I'm cracking up! I think my favorite was un-eat.

I've lost track of my childhood diaries, and it kills me. You're so lucky to be able to read your thoughts as an eight-yr-old. What a precious gift to yourself!

Thanks for the warning about Googling images for vomit. Ew.

:) Nicole

Rena said...

It's funny how vivid some memories are. When I was in 1st grade, one of the 2nd graders threw up tomato soup pretty close to my desk. I remember his name, what it looked like, the smell, etc ...

I think it's so cool you kept your diary.

Carrie Harris said...

I have a lot of puking in my first book. Wish I would have heard of "scream cookies" back then. Would have loved to use it!

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

Oh my word, how absolutely precious!! I love the 8 year old you!!

And, uh, thanks for that bit of advice. Duly noted, my dear. I will NEVER google vomit ;)

Kelly H-Y said...

Oh my goodness, this post made me laugh! :-)

Christina Farley said...

Too funny! I had a diary and I think it's somewhere in storage in Florida. I can't wait to check it out.

My main character ate dried squid so I suppose to some that would be gross.

nikki said...

Haha Kel, I loved your diary entry! What a treasure!

Laura Pauling said...

Maybe you can write that post for Angela and see what she says! That would actually be funny.

slhastings said...

I want to read the entries about boys!!!

Hema P. said...

Uh... Kelly, I'm glad I stopped by your blog today, but I got the timing, unfortunately, all wrong. I *just* had lunch. So, thank you for warning me to not google the word you mentioned and for not posting any graphic images! I think I won't even ponder upon any words that you missed, if you don't mind... ;-)

Jennifer Shirk said...

Apparently I didn't think my diary cared about punctuation or correct grammar...

LOL!! Too funny.

And thank goodness for Google. :)

Lisa and Laura said...

Ok, that's just hilarious. I really wish I'd kept a diary at that age. I can't even imagine what I would have put in it. I'm so jealous that you have yours!

DEZMOND said...

I did Google "vomit" and now I know why they say -curiosity killed the cat- :))

Jonathon Arntson said...

I considered Googling vomit to take my mind off things, but opted for four glasses of wine instead.

Nora MacFarlane said...

You forgot disgorge, expel and heave. Source: Flip Dictionary. I don't have the nerve to Google it!

WordWrangler said...

I'm surprised you didn't write "it was pink" in pink ink or pink crayon.

I would have. ;)

I think this post is brilliant. I didn't keep a diary or journal when I was that young. But when I hit college I did. Man, I need to put those things OUT and dig deep for some YA material.

You've hit the jackpot for come chapter books, girl. Keep going!

Dawn Simon said...

This is too funny. I found one of my diaries a couple years ago. I wrote in it when I was nine. I, too, discussed vomit, only it was my brother's.

Nishant said...

that's just hilarious.
Contextual Ad Network India