Monday, August 23, 2010

The Family That Rocks Together

...stays together. Last Saturday was a momentous occasion in my oldest son's life. My mother-in-law and I took him to his very first rock concert. My first concert (REO Speedwagon and Survivor) was with my parents at age eleven. Now his first concert was at the age of four days shy of eleven. When I saw that 2/3 of his favorite bands (Disturbed and Avenged Sevenfold) were playing in the same festival, I knew I had to take him! The other main band playing (Stone Sour) also has the same lead singer and guitarist from another fave band of his, Slipknot, so that was an added plus.

The Rockstar Uproar Festival started at 3pm. We arrived at about 3:40 to make sure we received bracelets for the Stone Sour Meet and Greet. We also wanted to see one of the band playing on the side stage, New Medicine. This band I discovered on Candyland's blog recently!

We rocked out to New Medicine then waited in line in the hot sun for an hour to meet Stone Sour. It was so fun watching my son mingle with some of his fave musicians.
Here he is with Stone Sour/Slipknot guitarist, Jim Root
Photobucket

J-Man talking with Stone Sour/Slipknot lead singer, Corey Taylor
Photobucket

After the Stone Sour meeting, I ran to the New Medicine Meet and Greet and met the guys.
Photobucket

I said Hi to Brady, guitarist of New Medicine, for Candace Ganger! He was just as nice as Candace said he was. See here how Brady and Candyland raise money for women of Ghana.
Photobucket
After being out in the sun for a few hours, we were ready to get some food and eat at our seats in the main ampitheater. We enjoyed the band, Halestorm, while we had dinner.

Then Stone Sour came on and I got to see my son headbang for the first time! He can scream the lyrics and throw the horns just like his mum. My fave songs were their newest single, "Say You'll Haunt Me" and "Through the Glass."

Here's a short clip of "Say You'll Haunt Me."





Avenged Sevenfold was next, my son's favorite band. The set was spooky and the music LOUD (I made my son wear ear plugs at the concert). Lots of fire and energy! They played some new songs and old faves like my favorite song of all time, "Unholy Confessions." Can you see the man dangling in the air? He bungy jumped and hung there for the first song! Creepy!
Photobucket
Here's a short clip of a fiery "Buried Alive."





Remember when my son and I did a Rock Band tribute for Avenged Sevenfold's drummer who passed away in December? See it here. Avenged also sang a tribute song called "So Far Away" for him at the concert.
Photobucket

Disturbed, a Chicago band, was next. Excellent graphics in the background, and David has an amazing voice. My fave song of their set was "Inside the Fire." Their most popular song is "Down With the Sickness."
Photobucket
We left before Disturbed was done with their set since my son is a minor and we'd already had a long, fun day. Plus we could beat the crowd after the concert. We left exhausted and happy.

A day my son will remember for the rest of his life. His mom will, too.

31 comments:

C.R. Evers said...

awwww! what cool family time! I bet you guys look cute head banging together. :0)

Great pictures.

Matthew Rush said...

This is all kinds of awesome! Rock on mom. Also, since you mentioned my favorite person in the world, Candace, you get extra stars. New Medicine is pretty cool too, especially since they're Minnesota peeps.

Candyland said...

So cute!!! I'm so glad you caught my boys. I get to see them tomorrow:)

storyqueen said...

You just won the award for coolest mom on the planet!!

You and your son are so cute in the first picture.

Shelley

Jennifer Shirk said...

How fun and that you did it together!

Angela Ackerman said...

I was just thinkng the other day, 'I wonder how many concerts Kelly's been to?"

Have you lost count? Seriously, your kids must think you are THE coolest mom EVA.

Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

Christina Lee said...

AWWW what a cool mom you are!! I hope to do the same for my son someday!

Katie L. Carroll (KT) said...

You are the coolest mom ever, Kelly! Rock on!

Lydia Kang said...

You look so cute in your mini kilt! You are the coolest mom ever!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Nice to see you're nurturing your little headbanger. I'm sure that concert was quite different from REO Speedwagon, too!

Kelly said...

Christy- Thanks! I actually didn't know he headbanged til the concert!
Matthew- They are great. I'm glad I read about them on Candace's blog or I might have missed them!
Candace- I can't wait to see your pics!
Shelley- Thanks! He wouldn't let me kiss and hug him though at the concert ;).
Jennifer - Not only did I have fun watching the bands, but watching my son watch the bands!
Angela- I don't know how many concerts, but I think I've seen over 80 bands! And still counting of course! :)
Christina- It was a special day for both of us!
Katie- Thanks! And I will keep rockin on...
Lydia- Thanks! I actually bought that skirt for a Halloween costume last year!
Alex- Ha! Yes, very different. I'm pretty sure REO didn't say any F-bombs...I should have brought ear muffs for my son! :)

Tina Laurel Lee said...

So fun!

My first concert was Cyndi Lauper and The Bangles. I was about the same age and my mom was nearly as cool as you!

DEZMOND said...

oh, poor kid had to wear earplugs :))))
But, I'm glad you didn't take him to Slipknot, that's just overly violent for kids.

Ron Smith said...

That sounds cool. Can you believe that my first concert was K.I.S.S.!!!

I swear, Gene Simmons blew fire about three feet away from me!

Such times....

Oh, and I saw REO back in the day, too as well as Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis...I could go on.

Suffice it to say, I am an old guy.

Laura Pauling said...

What great bonding times with you and your son! Memories forever!

Suzanne Casamento said...

You are the coolest mom on the planet! My dad took me to see Neil Diamond when I was 12. The concert was cool, but a far fistpump from headbanging with Mom! You rock.

Kimberly Franklin said...

Aw, how fun! He'll remember that day forever!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Kelly--You do the coolest things! What a great memory you both will always have. :)

Lilfix said...

What a cool mom you are...What a great birthday memory...

Anita said...

This is my favorite post of yours! He looks just like you and sounds like he must BE a lot like you too. Good times, Kelly. Good times.

Kim Kasch said...

A family that plays together stays together whether it's rock banding or rocking :)

Cold As Heaven said...

Anita sent me over here (thanks, Anita).

It's really cool that you can make a rock festival into a family happening. I've tried to do the same, but without much success. My kids prefer hip-hop and reggae.

Slipknot is cool, with their scary masks. I guess they are kind of the same to your kid that KISS was to my generation. Haven't listened to them much myself, but Joey Jordison (the drummer) has been playing live with one of my favorite bands, Satyricon, when they have been touring in USA.

I'm living in a small town, so not too many interesting concerts here, but I try to get to all the black metal and death metal concerts. Will ask my family to come along next time >:)

Cold As Heaven

Kelly H-Y said...

What a cool mom (and mother-in-law too!)!!! You rock!

Samantha VĂ©rant said...

LOVE IT! Love this post, Kelly. You rock on!

Kelly said...

Tina- That sounds like such a fun first concert!
Dezmond- Yeah, he has about ten preapproved by mom Slipknot songs, but I told him there was no way he would be going to one of those shows anytime soon!
Ron- You've seen some great classics! I saw Kiss once but without the makeup!
Laura- Definitely a memory that makes me smile.
Suzanne- My best friend's first concert was Neil Diamond with her mom but she was always embarrassed to say it as her firs concert! Hee!
(though Neil Diamond does have song great songs!)
Thanks, Kimberly, Brenda and Sharon. It was a great day in the life of the Polarks!
Anita- He does look like me more than any of my other kids. Not only has he borrowed my taste in music, but my cautiousness as well!
Kim- True! I always like your Rock Band vlogs!
Cold- Thanks for stopping by! Both of my sons love rock, but daughter is very much a pop girl.
Thanks, Kelly and Sam!!

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

You are just too cute, and such a super mom. Love that you took your son to a concert. I've never even done that with my daughter. But I should. Although she's now at the age that she'd probably be embarrassed to go with me. *sigh*

Hema P. said...

How sweet of you to do this for your son! I'm sure this will be one of his favorite memories for years to come...

Lola Sharp said...

LOVE it!! Love the picture with you and your son. :)
(though, I notice you aren't really touching him...that's a boy thing, eh? I guess having moms arm around you ruins his dude-cred.) I'm glad you guys had fun!

Husband, daughter (14) and I all love the same music (alt rock) so we are always going to concerts together. (we usually let her bring a friend).

Yay for cool moms!

Happy weekend, Kelly!
Love,
Lola

Kelly said...

Carolina- Luckily I don't think he was embarrassed to be with me. We'll see in a few years!
Hema- It was definitely as much fun for me as it was for him! I love those bands too!
Lola- True, he didn't want me hugging him there! Though thankfully at home he's still pretty affectionate and likes to cuddle with me on the couch still.

Elana Johnson said...

Awesome! What a fun thing to do with your son!

Kiki Hamilton said...

Yay Kelly! I'm so glad your son had such a great first concert! You're my concert / rock star girlfriend! You know I love them as much as you do!! Loved all the pics and videos - looks like an awesome day!