Monday, August 16, 2010

Books! Glorious Books!

Was WriteOnCon awesome or what? I was preparing for and having a garage sale during the days of the conference, but made sure I took the time to participate in most of the live panels and read most of the posts so far. I came away so informed and so inspired. I thought I was about done with my middle grade manuscript, but the conference (and critiques) taught me that there is still so much work to be done! I'm looking forward to using my new knowledge and energy to tackle it full force when the kids go back to school soon.

THANK YOU to all of the wonderful organizers and contributors. It was amazing.

See that pile of books in the left hand corner? I bought those this weekend! Most are gifts (some for my childrens' upcoming bdays, shhhh. Happy eighth birthday to my daughter today!), but I bought a few for myself and to pass along to my mom and sister. I have been dying to read Fat Vampire by Adam Rex and Linger by Maggie Stiefvater. And now I have them! Woo hoo!! I just started reading Fat Vampire and I already laughed out loud twice at the first page of the first chapter. I kid you not, people.
The best part about these books? I bought them with a gift card that I won!
When my mom, sister and I went to Printer's Row Fest in Chicago, I entered a contest. There was a Hyundai filled with paperbacks, and you wrote down your info and your estimate of how many books were in there. Guess who was closest in all of the Chicago participants??? Little ole me! I won a $100 gift card! The funny thing about it was that my original guess was 350 or something and my mom looked at it and said, "Kelly! There's more than that!" I looked at her guess and my sister's guess. Their guesses were over 700. I then entered a new guess, 692. So, thanks Mom! She's an avid reader and will definitely benefit from my winnings. I still have about $20 left that I'll save for future birthday gifts (or I should say gift, hardcover books are expensive!).

Speaking of awesome books, a big THANK YOU to Patricia at Simplicity in Volumes. I won third place in her Writing Triathlon and the upcoming release, The Duff. Another book I am looking forward to reading!

What new books are you excited about?

33 comments:

Matthew Rush said...

Hey, that's a bunch of awesome news! What a cool contest to have all those books piled in a care like that.

PJ Hoover said...

LOL! I thought you were going to say you won all the books in the car! I'm not sure that would be considered *winning*.

storyqueen said...

Wow! Luck is with you right now. Maybe you should start querying or something!

(I love Splat the Cat!)

Shelley

Stephanie Blake said...

Can't wait for Mockingjay!

Kelly said...

Matthew - I almost didn't enter because I didn't want telemarketing calls about Hyundai! I'm glad I did!
PJ - Yeah! I can't imagine where I'd put them all!! I wonder what they did with all of them!
Shelley- I actually won the giftcard in June and finally got to the bookstore in August! I've was out of town most of July. But yes, I've had some great luck in the contests, lately!
Stephanie - Soon!!!

Solvang Sherrie said...

Buying books with a gift card makes it even more fun! Looks like you have some great ones in that pile :)

Laura Pauling said...

Too bad you couldn't win all of the books in the car! But a gift cert. is good too! There are so many books that have been released or will be that I can't even keep track anymore!

Marcia said...

Ha--I think you should win all the books AND the car. Congrats, though. :)

Candyland said...

Sweetness!!! Hmm, I just got Justine Larbalestier's Liar, but have only had time to read a little so far. I also have Linger, which I won, and haven't read yet:)

DEZMOND said...

congrats on that gift-card, I wish we had those here in my country!

Anita said...

Oh! I've been wanting to read FAT VAMPIRE. You are that book's best marketing tool. (not that you're a tool...you know what I mean).

Dawn Simon said...

I can't wait to read FAT VAMPIRE! Adam Rex is awesome!

Congrats on the gift card! That's great! Yay for moms! :)

Happy b-day to your daughter!

adrienne said...

Congrats on the win! A shopping spree for books sounds fun.

Love the title Fat Vampire - I might have to find that one for my kids.

Kelly said...

Sherrie- I know! I didn't feel guilty buying a few for myself since it was a gift card!
Laura- I agree, there are so many good ones coming out!
Marcia-Now that would have been one ginormous prize!
Candace-After Fat Vampire, I am moving right on to Linger.
Dezmond- You should lobby for giftcards in your country!
Anita- Your almost calling me a tool made me giggle.
Dawn - Yes, he is one of my all time favorite authors.

Bish Denham said...

Cool Kelly!

Tahereh said...

awesome!!

im dyingggg for MOCKINGJAY :D

Kimberly Franklin said...

Look at all those books! I just finished Linger a few weeks ago and it was... fantastic, of course. I hope you like it! And I'll have to check out Fat Vampire the next time I go to the bookstore.

Have a great Monday!!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Congrats on winning the contest.

I loved WriteOnCon and decided I have work to do on my MG-cutting words. Glad I'm not alone in realizing I have more work to do.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Congratulations on the win and the learning. We were out of town for Writeoncon, but I'm looking forward to exploring all the information on the site. :)

Kelly said...

Bish - Very!
Tahereh- Ohh, me too!
Kimberly- Linger is next on my TBR list!
Natalie- Yes, I am so thankful. I could have submitted my ms before it was "done". Great conference.
Sharon- Definitely check back at the great posts! I'm going back just to refresh as I write!

Susan Fields said...

Happy birthday to your daughter, and congrats on your win and all your new books! I'm about dying for Mockingjay's release date to finally get here, and I'm looking forward to reading Patti Lacy's What the Bayou Saw.

Suzanne Casamento said...

You're just winning stuff left and right! Check you out, you lucky girl!

I'm psyched about the new book I'm writing. ;)

Sara McClung ♥ said...

Congrats on all the winning :) I've gotta say, two books I'm most excited about I've already read, lol. But Paranormalcy and Personal Demons. They. Are. SO. Good.

Also, one that I haven't read but am DYING to, is Don Calame's Beat the Band, his follow up to one of my new favorite books, Swim the Fly.

Angela Ackerman said...

Congrats on the wins! I'm glad you loved the conf--I really wish i could have taken part. Hopefully it'll be around next year and I will be too!

Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

Kelly said...

Adrienne- It's a good one!
Susan - Mockingjay will soon be here!
Suz- You know, I've had some pretty good luck in the blog contests!
Sara- I haven't read any of Calame's books. Will check it out.
Angela- YOu can still check back at the archives. Lots of great stuff. Welcome back!

Rena said...

Love giftcards, especially for books! Congrats! I'm excited about reading Michelle Davidson Argyle's CINDERS and Michelle Moran's CLEOPATRA'S DAUGHTER. :)

Christina Lee said...

I'd love to read Fat Vampire--tell us what you think at the end!

Hema P. said...

I love gift cards that mean more books for me -- good for you, Kelly! And I'm happy that you found a lot of good info at WriteOnCon; unfortunately I couldn't attend it.

I recently read "Shabanu: Daughter of the wind", the first YA book in a trilogy; it was hauntingly beautiful. (It's an old book, though, not a recent release.)

Jackee said...

So many great things happening your way. Congrats, Kelly!

I can wait for Mockingjay (of course)!!

Lola Sharp said...

What is better than a shopping trip to the book store? A FREE shopping trip to the book store! YAY you! :)

I don't read a lot of YA, but I do have a 14 y.o. daughter who reads (LOTS) so every once and while I pick up one of her, especially if there's a lot of buzz.
I've only read one of the books in your stack: I LOVE Maggie's Shiver and Linger. I love her writing style.

Happy 8th Birthday to your daughter! :)

And, yes, WriteOn Con was delightful, even for those of us who write for grown ups. They did an amazing job.

Happy weekend!
Love,
Lola

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

Aw! Happy birthday to your sugar plum! Congrats on your win, too! That's awesome. I suck at these kinds of guessing games. I would've said something way off, like 1500. You and your mom rock!

Kelly said...

Rena - I want to check out Cinders, too.
Christina- I'm almost done!
Hema- You can check out the WriteOnCon archives and see the posts!
Jackee- That has to be the most anticipated book of the year!
Lola- Linger is next on my reading pile. \
Carol- Apparently I'm not to great at the initial guess either! Just needed a little help from Mom!

C.R. Evers said...

Congrats on placing in the writing triathalon!!! Yay!

I've never heard of Writeoncon, before. I should check it out.