Thursday, August 5, 2010

Three Things for Thursday

1. I'm back from another family vacay to my dad's cabin in northern Wisconsin. I love to watch my children catch (and release) frogs and fish at the same place I did as a kid. Good old fashioned family fun (but now with internet access!). We also saw Despicable Me while we were there- cute movie, it made me tear up at the end!

2. Thank you so much to my critique buddy Sharon Mayhew! I received some fun, random goodies in the mail after entering her (and Jackee's)Random Contest last week!
Thank you also to Lisa and Laura at Lisa and Laura Write! I won a query critique at their blog, and they gave me a rockin' critique! Great advice, ladies!

More crazy cool contests!
*Lovely Lola is having a contest that includes perfume, Stephen King and surprises! Enter at her Sharp Pen/Dull Sword blog!

*Win Rena Jones' third picture book The Marshmallow Man at her blog! Contest ends tomorrow!

*Win a copy of Alex Cavanaugh's upcoming sci-fi book CassaStar at his blog! Enter by August 8!

*Sara McClung is giving away lots of cool ARCs at her blog Babbling Flow. Check 'em out!

*Have you heard about Holly Cupala's book Tell Me a Secret?! Join her at her launch party and win cool TMAS stuff! First, check out the trailer...and enter to win, it ends today!





3. Thank you to all of you who are posting your stories and expertise from last weekend's SCBWI LA conference! I'm so jealous of all of you, but I am glad you are sharing your experiences with us! Suzanne Casamento emailed me after she spotted Anna Paquin (Sookie!) in LA (and I totally appreciated living vicariously through her!). I hope to attend the conference one day!!
I'm sad I didn't go to LA, but I am super excited about attending WriteOnCon next week! Click here to see what is ahead for the registrants. Day One is posted and looks packed with awesome agent/author/editor panels and workshops. The day starts with author Josh Berk and ends with agent Mark McVeigh! I can't wait!

20 comments:

Candyland said...

I want to go to your dad's cabin! Looks like a good time with family-something I could use right now!

Tina Laurel Lee said...

The cabin does look beautiful! Fun. We are doing that kind of thing next week AND the week after. That trailer is intense. Made me want to read the book. And thank you for this news filled post!

Rena said...

Sounds like a lot of fun staying at the cabin! Glad you had a good time.

Thanks for the shout-out on my Marshmallow Man contest too! :)

One of these days I hope to get to SCBWI-LA. I moved away just as I got serious about writing, so I've never been to it. I'd like to go to it at least once though. Maybe someday ...

Stephanie Blake said...

What a cool vacation!

The SCBWI con is an amazing thing, and you'll have to go someday, but this year, we'll make do with the Write On Con. :)

I'm actually going to my local SCBWI conference next month. Should be fun.

Anita said...

What do you like better...chillin at the lake or livin it up in NYC?

storyqueen said...

your vacation sounds awesome!

Have a great time...see you at the con!

Shelley

DEZMOND said...

nice to see ya back from the holidays!

Kimberly Franklin said...

Glad you back and that you had lots of fun on your vacation! I'm super jealous of anyone who went to SCBWI and I vow that next year I will be there! And your friend seeing Sookie in the flesh is very cool! Very, very cool!!

Kelly said...

Candace- I hope you can get a family getaway soon! Get lots of hugs from your little one in the meantime!
Tina- Enjoy your time with family! Nothing more important than that!
Rena- Hopefully the one day that we both go will be the same year!
Stephanie - I am thankful for WriteOnCon, definitely something to look forward to. I am hoping to make a local conference in November.
Anita - I love relaxed time with family more than anything so cabin would beat city. BUT I did LOVE the break from reality in NYC!
Shelley - See you there!
Dezmond- Good to be back!
Kimberly- I know! I wonder how many times someone yells "sookie" to her in a day!

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

Super cool links, Kelly! Thanks for passing them on. I'm looking forward to WriteOnCon, too! I think it'll be great. That trailer is freaking awesome, by the way!

Sara McClung ♥ said...

Thanks so much for the shout out Kelly! Off to check out everything else now =)

Marcia said...

Glad you enjoyed your time up North. :)

Solvang Sherrie said...

That photo on the dock is awesome! Our family loves camping and fishing at the lake. That's what summer memories are all about!

Kim Kasch said...

I never knew Wisconsin was so pretty - thanks for that vicarious journey to another land

Susan Fields said...

Your dad's cabin looks like a wonderful place for children. And thanks for the heads up on all the contests!

C.R. Evers said...

I'm so glad you had a fabulous vacation. Upper Wisconsin is fabulous and beautious.

Welcome back.

cleemckenzie said...

It sounds like you've busy since your return to the blogosphere, Kelly. Lots of great blog fun and writing. Good for you and welcome back.

Suzanne Casamento said...

Sounds like your vacay was fabulous! I love that your kids get to play where you did.

Thanks for all the cool contest info and also for linking to my bog. I think I'm going to email you every time I see a star from now on. ;)

Hema P. said...

Wow, you are a busy woman, Kelly! Can't wait to hear what you learn at WriteOnCon!

Jackee said...

Your dad's cabin looks amazing! And you never did win something on my blog did you? So sorry! (I'm glad you did on Sharon's.)

So much to comment on, but I think I'll end with one last thing: WRITEONCON WAS AMAZING, wasn't it?! :o)

Have a great week, Kelly!