Monday, June 7, 2010

I Want to Rock and Roll

all night...and rock every day.
Me and 26,000 others rocked out all day and night at the Q101 Jamboree on Saturday. Q101 is a Chicago radio station; they hosted a concert of nine bands at a main stage and four others at a side stage. Of course I had to be there. My husband's cousin Matt and I (see pic) arrived at the jamboree at about 2pm during the second band, Janus's, set. The concert started at 12:30, but we watched most of my son's baseball game before trekking to the outside ampitheater. I knew it was going to be a long (but fun) day of bouncing to the beat so we were okay with missing a few bands. Not only was it a good day to watch the bands, but the crowd was gawkworthy as well. You would not believe some of the inappropriate tattoos we saw!

Here's the rundown of the day in pictures (no pics of the tasteless tats, I didn't want my butt kicked).

Saliva. A rock band from Tennesee. Famous for song "Ladies and Gentleman" and "Always."
See my concert review from a previous show here.

Coheed and Cambria. I didn't know any songs, but the lead singer had a good voice. Can you see his face? We couldn't all concert either!
Photobucket


Puddle of Mudd. Matt and I jumped up and down singing to the songs during this set. They have some great songs including "Psycho" and "Blurry." The lead singer allegedly seemed a bit whacked out. He even brought his son out to play during one song. Awesome, right?! He told the audience to put up their middle fingers throughout the performance including when his son played (which was a song about drugs-nice pick, Dad). Then after he introduced his 12 year old son, he asked the crowd to yell, " F&%$ Jordan!" (his son's name). I'm not kidding! In his warped mind, I'm sure he meant it as cool, but couldn't he have asked the crowd to yell, "Jordan rocks!?" Bizarre. Then at the end of the set the band tried to demolish the stage and threw the instruments, amps, and what they could.

Here's a pic of lead singer Wes Scantlin and his son playing and a short montage of the Puddle of Mudd set that ends in the onstage carnage.
Photobucket



Dinner. Matt and I stayed in line for almost an hour in the rain for food and missed 1/2 of the next band for this. I do have to say it was delicious (and no, I didn't eat the whole thing!).
Photobucket

Hollywood Undead. I only knew a few songs by this band. They have at least four singers that rap and sing. Pretty fun to watch.
Photobucket

Papa Roach. Best band of the day/night hands down. The lead singer, Jacoby Shaddix, goes all out every time I've seen them live (this is my third time). He always comes out into the audience (see pic here from last show), and he's moving and running around throughout every song. We screamed our lungs out singing along. I was so tired after this set, because the band makes you jump around and go nuts!
Here's a pic and short montage of the concert that includes us singing "Last Resort."
Photobucket


Seether. I tell you it is hard to follow Papa Roach. Seether is a great band, but the music is much more mellow, Nirvana-esque. We had fun listening to hits like "Remedy" and "Broken," but the energy of the crowd was definitely more sedate.
Photobucket

Three Days Grace. This band is pretty big right now with hits like "Break" and "The Good Life." The energy came back with Three Days Grace. Fun set complete with pyro! Matt and I left this band early as we got a text that tornadoes were about an hour southwest! So we got out of Dodge! It was pouring raining for the last three hours of the concert, luckily we had covered pavilion seats. The lawn was uncovered but remained packed during the downpour!
The day was pure entertainment!
Photobucket
For fun here's a pic of Matt and me 15 years ago this month! (He was one of our ringbearers!) With us is my cousin, Kat, who just graduated college to become a teacher like her cousin, Kelly. Then there is my husband's cousin, Anna, who just got married and owns her own dance studio. I am going to NYC for the first time with her and my mother-in-law in a few weeks. Next to me is my cousin, Bobby, who is a married Phoenix firefighter. The blond is Matt, who attends University of Iowa. A great group of kids (okay, adults!).

Photobucket

27 comments:

Laura Pauling said...

I've never heard of any of these bands - maybe that's why I don't write about rock n roll. :) All research, right?

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

You live the funnest life, Kelly!

Denise said...

Looks like a great day!

Tina Laurel Lee said...

Love the black nail polish!

Those kids are bigger but you look exactly the same!!

Suzanne Casamento said...

I'm so bumbed that Puddle of Mudd was so...umm...offensive. Blurry is one of my favorite songs.

Years ago, Eddie Van Halen had his son, Wolfgang, play with him on tour and that was sort of touching. Sounds like Puddle of Mudd didn't exactly hit that mark.

Glad you had a blast and even more glad that you dodged tornadoes.

Now what's this about you in the trunk of a car?!

Angela Ackerman said...

Such great pictures. Would love to see Puddle of Mudd.

And holy cow is that ever a serious hot dog!

Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

Candyland said...

Schweeett! I met Wes Scantlin once and he was a jerkwad (this is after I threw a paper airplane onto the stage and it hit him in the leg), but I digress...
Papa Roach rocks. By far the coolest band there. My band covers Last Resort, in which I scream. Good times.

Sounds like you had a blast. Next time, take me with:)

~Nicole Ducleroir~ said...

Sounds like such a great day! I love all day rock concerts -- what energy!

Your wedding day pic is precious. Happy Anniversary!

Jonathon Arntson said...

Officially moving to Ill when I get pub'd and becoming your IRL friend.

Susan Fields said...

Love the wedding photo of you with all those kids (adults now!) That lead singer from Puddle of Mudd sounds like something else. I agree, "Jordan rocks" would have been a much better choice!

Lydia Kang said...

I don't know these bands either, but thanks for sharing the clip!
And you look exactly the same as in your wedding pict. Same megawatt, gorgeous smile!

Kelly said...

Laura - Yes, Laura... um... definitely research :)
Sharon - I do try! My smile is biggest when I'm having fun with my kids though!
Denise - It was, Oonie. We need to go to a show again soon.
Tina - I was between hot pink or black but went with black due to the upcoming concert!! Thank you!
Suzanne - I love Blurry too! I saw Wolfgang tour with Van Halen a few years ago! And lets put the trunk thing in the list of dumb things you do in college. :)
Angela - When I walked from the concession stand to my seat, I got plenty of comments about that hot dog!

Kelly said...

Candace- Yeah, I think that guy has anger issues. Seriously. And I seriously need to see video of your band! And I am sure you would be fun to dance with at concerts!
Nicole - the all day concert was fun, but I did need a nap the next day!!
Jon - I already consider you my RL friend!
Susan - I felt so bad for the kid yet he was smiling ear to ear. I think his dad needs a parenting class...
Lydia - Thank you for your sweet words!!!

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

Lucky, lucky you! Love coheed and Cambria. Their "Running Free" is one of my theme songs for my latest novel. Looks like you guys had a fab time.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

You must seem so cool to your nephew. I'm embarrassingly uncool when it comes to music! :-)

DEZMOND said...

you'd probably enjoy EXIT music festival, held each year in NoviSad, the capital city of my Vojvodina, it's one of the most popular European festivals. This year's lineup includes Placebo, Missy Elliott, Royksopp, The Exploited, Klaxons, Faith No More, Pendulum, Mika...

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Eek! I don't know any of these bands.

I haven't been to a jamboree in many years. Last one I went to was with my boyfriend (now husband) and his wierdo friends (some who ended up in jail). *rolls eyes*

Despite the jail thing (that had nothing to do with me and my husband), it was tons of fun. :D

Glad you had a great time!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Looks like a BLAST--although I was a little miffed and feel a little out of it for not recognizing one band name. :(

Sweet wedding picture!

Hema P. said...

Looks like you all had a blast! And what a beautiful picture of you and the-then young cousins! Happy Anniversary to you and your husband, whenever it is this month, btw! :-)

SAMUEL PARK said...

Sounds like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing the photos and the descriptions of the band. Oh, and that hot dog was definitely worth the wait. Nothing like combining great music with food and lines! Very nice wedding photo, as well. You look like you haven't aged a day!

Nora MacFarlane said...

Looks like fun - but I don't know ANY of those bands!

Christina Lee said...

SO.MUCH.FUN!!! I want to hang with you!

Christina Farley said...

I wish I had half as much energy as you have. Looks like you had so much fun. I really enjoyed the pictures.

Jackee said...

How every fun! I admit I'm not the biggest concert goer, but my husband is. But when I do want to jam, outdoor concerts are my favorite! Thanks for sharing!

And how weird about that musician dad... poor kid.

Nishant said...

You live the funnest life,
Contextual Ad Network India

Groupon Clone said...

Thanks for the post. It was very interesting and meaningful. Keep posting. I follow you.
airbnb clone| Fiverr clone script| Yelp Clone Script| Angry birds clone|

business gas prices said...

It’s a great site to see. That will help for improvisation of me. Will definitely marked as Bookmark.

business gas prices