Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Wish List

I do like the holidays. It's crazy busy, but it is fun to buy for others. It's even enjoyable to get a few merry gifts, too. I'm having trouble this year though making my "wish list." My family is very practical and has the adults and the children make a wish list each Christmas. You get what you want, and no one has to return anything, and well, it's just easier.
Since my sister and I were in junior high, my mom has taken us shopping the day after Thanksgiving to buy us our Christmas presents. She said she was sick of returning gifts we didn't love back to the store (who has time for that?), and it's a fun day of girlie shopping. When I met my husband, he couldn't believe that's the way we received our gifts, but we really, really like it that way. We even still do this! Yes, my mother takes her two adult daughters out to the mall. My sister and I all try on clothes in the same fitting room (which isn't as much fun for me to see my sis and my bare midriffs side by side as my sister is extremely tall and thin, but hey, we're family), and my mom even squeezes in for commentary. You want honesty if that shirt looks tight or the jeans look awesome!
This year I'm getting two pairs of jeans, two cute tops and a belt from my mom! I know it sounds a little weird, but we love the day together and sometimes we even forget an item or two when it comes to Christmas Day. Don't worry, we buy Mom lunch that day!
Besides this shopping trip, we also make lists for the inlaws and my dad's side of the family, and this year I'm having trouble making mine. This year our household has been majorly budgeting due to the recession, and I really haven't splurged all year on myself. I received a TJ Maxx gift card for Christmas last year and used a little at a time to stretch it out til October! You'd think I'd have a full list, but I guess I'm realizing I don't need much.
So, I have a few CD's on my list, a few books, a Wii fitness game, and that's about it. I cannot think of anything else! I do love concerts so was thinking of putting a Ticketmaster gift certificate on there....but is that lame? I can't afford the price of good seats for my fave concerts right now, so that would make me happy. I know, I know I should wish for world peace and a publishing contract, but seriously we are living in a material world (and if I could really wish for those and they would happen, I would!).

Any suggestions for my wish list? What's on yours?

Really, all I want for Christmas is front row to a My Chemical Romance concert. (They aren't on tour right now, but I hope they will be in 2010!)
Here's their version of "All I Want for Christmas Is You."


27 comments:

Kelly H-Y said...

Love the picture and this time of year! Your shopping trip with your mom and sis sounds fun! Hmmm ... Lucy has some beautiful scarves ... maybe put one of those on your list! :-) Otherwise, I think your list sounds pretty good!

TerryLynnJohnson said...

Christmas is so fun! I especially love listening to Christmas music. Shopping with my mom and sister would be last on my list though. But sounds like you had fun!

Kelly said...

Kelly-I'll check the scarves out! Thanks!
Terry Lynn-I love Christmas music, too. I made a Christmas song mix of Elvis, Chicago, Jewel, Weezer, My Chemical Romance and Smashing Pumpkins on my iPod to listen to this month!

Anita said...

I took Oldest Daughter shopping the day after Thansgiving and she tried on a ton of stuff and told me everything she liked and then I chose several of the items and bought them without her seeing what I chose. I so would not have picked out the things that she liked best and I would have been completely wrong on the pant sizes. I think she's going to be very happy this Christmas. I almost always choose my own Christmas gifts, too.

I think you should go with the Ticketmaster gift certificate and if there's ever an awesome concert in my parts, tell me, we'll buy two tickets and you can stay here. Fun!

Lilfix said...

For some reason, I can't seem to think of anything I really want this year either...We've cut back also and everything I think of just seems too expensive...so Hubs and I decided we would get things for the house to help us go a little more "green"...I never thought I would have to find a Christmas stocking big enough for the house to get gifts...grin...Hugs...

Kim Kasch said...

Last year I wanted a new sewing machine and a Kitchen Aid mixer - those were Big gifts and I got them both so now what?. . .

Hum . . . I'll let you know what I come up with.

PJ Hoover said...

I put Wii Rock Band (Lego and Beatles) on my list and Star Trek Deep Space Nine. Maybe a couple books, though there are none out I "have" to buy.
Love the pic!

Solvang Sherrie said...

I love when rockers do a cool version of Christmas songs. I hadn't heard this one. Adding it to my wish list :)

And no, I don't think a Ticketmaster gift certificate is lame -- I'm surprised you've never gotten one before. That's the perfect gift for you!

Sharon Mayhew said...

Kelly,

I love the girls' shopping day. It's wonderful that you get along well enough to have a day like that. :)

I want a writing course and retreat with my critique group (the WAD), but my hubby says those are not gifts...If he'd give them to me, I'd have no guilt about spending money on writing...I only made $100 in 2009.

Sharon Mayhew said...

PS...Things collect dust and require dusting...adventures and activites don't require dusting...

(I'm so against dust right now!)

Heather Lane said...

I think that it's great to get to the point where you don't really need much.

I asked for (and bought for my kids to give me) a belgian waffle maker.

Yum.

I read some back posts, and love the same comedies that you do-- How I Met Your Mother and Modern Family. And I can't tell you how much I love Modern Family...

Tee Brown said...

Oh, such a great post! The tradition you, your mom and sister have established is heartwarming and priceless.

Re: the ticketmaster gift certificate, fantastic idea! Even if you get several "little" ones, you can combine them to get that 2nd row concert seat, right?

And your wish list isn't lame at all. The older you get, the less materialistic you *should* become, IMO. So good for you!

Bish Denham said...

I know what I'm getting hubby, but me? I have no idea what I want/need. I plenty content without getting anything at all.

MG Higgins said...

I LOVE holiday traditions and the one you have with your sister and mom is priceless. Sorry I can't help you with your list--I can't even figure out my own.

Kelly said...

Anita-I'm glad you do something similar, I know I will when my daughter is older! And I would LOVE to visit and go to a concert with you! One day when funds are better!!
Brenda-Good choice on the green gifts. My hubby and I are usually practical with our gifts to one another. I gave him Chicago Bear throw pillows one year. My friend laughed at it, but he really liked them!

Kelly said...

Kim - Keep thinkin'!
PJ- My son has the Lego Rock Band on his list, and I'm getting it for him so I can play too! :) The Beatles will be a good one too!
Sherrie - I do too! I also have a Smashing Pumpkins Christmas song and Weezer Christmas songs on my iPod!
Sharon- That is true, adventure doesn't take up any room! A writing retreat sounds awesome. I would love to save up for the LA SCBWI conference one day!

Kelly said...

Heather - Modern Family is definitely the best new show this year. It cracks me up, what great characters!
Tee- We do really look forward to that day together!!
Bish - You'd think it would be easy to think of things you like, but sometimes it's tough!
MG- Good luck on your list!

Keri Mikulski said...

Love Christmas posts.. :)

Lots of books on mine.. Wow, let me know how you spread the GC to last until October. Love TJ Max. :)

Nice tree.. Let me know how you like the Wii Fitness.. :)

wordwranglernc said...

We shop the day after Thanksgiving, too. My mom, sister and me. It's fabulous, isn't it? We actually head out around midnight. We eat around 3am (or whenever hunger strikes) and have a blast. Then we come home around 7:30am and sleep for a while. LOL!

Sounds like y'all have a wonderful relationship. That's better than any store bought present! I can't help with the wishlist as I am having trouble making up mine, too. :)

hugs,
Donna

Denise said...

Keep wishing (and praying) for world peace and your publishing contract. Good thoughts and prayers make a difference in this world!

Carrie Harris said...

I've got Wii dancing games on mine. I plan to rock out when no one's around. ;)

Kelly said...

Donna- You are hardcore! I don't think I could shop all hours of the night! But I bet it's more fun with family!
Denise - Tis true.
Carrie - That sounds like a fun Wii game!!!

Rena said...

Great picture, Kelly!

Anita said...

Alright...I'll hold you to it. :)

sruble said...

Your shopping tradition sounds great! (Except for the fact that the day after Thanksgiving has become a nightmare time to go shopping.)

It is really hard to make lists. Usually I have a couple hundred books I want, but people's eyes tend to glaze over after about 5 books ... so I ask for 5 books and mention a gift cert. for the bookstore.

Do you already have books and bookstore gift certs on your list? Or the concert tkts - that sounds like a good idea too!

BTW, we always did lists and my grandma took us shopping to pick out our gifts. DH thought/thinks the whole list thing is weird, but his family is doing it now too :)

Christina Farley said...

What a lovely job you did on your tree! I love Christmas time don't you?

Sliding on the Edge said...

Books and more books. I never get tired of receiving a good book for Christmas, anytime really.

Loved your tree. I'm still thinking about mine. I'll buy one next week for sure!