Sunday, August 9, 2009

Up North

I spent the last eleven days up in the northwoods of Wisconsin. Way up there. I’ve been going up there each summer all of my life. Now my children enjoy the same serene lake and family time that I used to. I love watching them enjoy the exact same things that I used to at their ages. It’s great to get away from our busy routine of home.
We started our vacation with cousins on my husband’s side and had lots of giggles. My two oldest kids’ even went tubing for the first time. We played Pass the Pigs with extra silly rules. We had a great Wisconsin fish fry.
We then went to my dad’s cabin where we shared nature at its best. My kids spent hours upon hours fishing and catching frogs at the lake. My sister and daughter even kissed a frog, but alas it didn’t turn into a prince. My youngest son caught his first pike. My daughter caught bluegills and a perch. My oldest caught pike, walleye, and bass. My hubby and dad caught big, big muskies (48 inchers among them) and were downright giddy about it. We went mini golfing (I stink). We read (I read The Shack and The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan-I couldn’t put it down!). We played board games (Pass the Pigs, Earthopoly, Fishin-opoly). We watched kids movies (Race to Witch Mountain, Madagascar 2 and the same Wizards of Waverly episode on the Disney channel a hundred times). We saw lots of animals (our dogs, the new puppy next door, loons, herons, bald eagles, bats swooping at me head, deer, froggies). We also went to the Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame (see huge musky in top pic).

We also took walks among the beautiful pines and along the lake. On one walk, the kids and I found the following things in alphabetical order on what we called our ABC walk.
Photobucket
ABC walk
A acorn, ants
B birch tree, bald eagle
C cracked branch, crinkly leaves
D dog, dead tree
E evergreen, echo
F flower, frog
G gravel, grasshopper
H high voltage sign, hole
I icky rabbit poop, irksome bugs
J jagged rock, jumbo tree
K kicking sand, knotted ribbon
L lake, ladybug
M mushroom, mailbox
N needle from pine tree, nine ferns
O orange leaf, oak tree
P pinecone, plants
Q quiet butterfly, quick blue heron
R rocks, raspberries
S steep hill, stump
T totem pole, twig
U undergrowth, under average rainfall
V violet flower, very fast hummingbird
W water, weeds
X eXotic moss, eXtra special walk
Y yellow boat sticker, yard
Z zen, zinnias

It was a great vacation, but it is good to be home.

21 comments:

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Kelly,

I loved your post...the picture of the gravel road reminds me of the opening of the The Andy Griffifth (?)show...

It sounds like you had a great time.

Hawk

Hawk

Kelly H-Y said...

That sounds WONDERFUL!!! Welcome back ... glad you had a fabulous time. Please tell me you had a little notepad to remember all the ABCs!? That's amazing ... very fun!

Angela said...

How wonderful to share and re experience all those memories! Thanks for sharing the photos!

DebraLSchubert said...

Sounds like fun! Love the ABC walk - thanks for sharing with us.;-)

Keri Mikulski said...

Love the ABC walk. :) Sounds like a great time!! Thanks for sharing. :)

I'm going to borrow your walk when Kaci and I walk the bay. :)

Lori Degman said...

It reminded me of Andy Griffith too! That's the best kind of vacation - outside all day and sleep like a log from all the fresh air! Glad you had a great time!

Kelly said...

Hawk and Lori- I should have whistled the Andy Griffith tune there (now I have that tune in my head)!!
Kelly- I sure did have a notepad while we walked. The kids loved brainstorming and a few letters were quite difficult.
Angela- It is so nostalgic being there each year.
Debra- Thanks, and I like your new pic!
Keri- I actually got the ABC Walk idea from my Family Fun magazine. Have a great walk with Kaci!

C.R. Evers said...

Wow Kelly! I think you may be having the most fabuloso-ist summer in the entire history of the world!

Fabulous!

Kelly said...

Christy- To be honest, this summer has been tougher than most, but I'm a positive person and we've had some good family times in it.

Solvang Sherrie said...

How fun! I love the ABC walk!

Rena said...

Sounds like it was a great trip, Kelly. That's awesome your kids get to experience the same thing you did as a child. I think that's really important these days.

nikki said...

I need to get you a tubing pic so you can put that on here! So fun.

Kim Kasch said...

Pass the Pig . . . ?

Sorry - I don't know that one.

Maybe that's an entire post itself. 'Cuz now I'm curious.

lyfizgud said...

Kelly ~ you are so creative...I love the ideas you come up w/ ... but I have to ask...what is pass the pig???? :)
Glad you guys had a great time!!! :)

Suzanne Casamento said...

Sounds like you had a great time! Your famiy rocks! And I love your ABC list. Adorable finds.

Glad you're back too. : )

Kelly said...

Pass the Pigs is a game that you roll the pigs instead of dice. Here's a link http://www.puzzlemethis.com/cgi-bin/puzzle/WNM31046

It's fun! And we play that when you win, you get to make up a rule. One of my rules was you have to sing during the game, not talk. :)

Big Plain V said...

Good times, eh? Do any writing?

C.R. Evers said...

Awesome! I love the ABC walk. I'll have to try that sometime.

Colorado Writer said...

Sounds like a wonderful time out from the real world.

Munchanka said...

That's the coolest inflatable animal I've ever seen!

The Wild About Writing Trio said...

It sounds like you and yours had a wonderful get-away. And I love your alphabet poem!

Kim