Thursday, September 25, 2008

All Write!


If you are a writer, I hope you are fortunate enough to have a writing group. A writing group can allow you to accomplish many things. Reading and critiquing others' work helps you grow as a writer. It allows you to read other writing styles and genres. You not only receive valuable feedback on your work, but encouragement to keep going. Lastly, it is also a time to hang out and enjoy your peers with this adult time.

My writing group tries to meet twice a month. In the past six months, we have been reading each others' stories and critiquing them at each meeting. We discuss the highlights and help point out the areas that need revision. We also take a little time to relax and chat about our lives.

Last night we changed things up a bit. We had a writing session. No critiques, a little bit of chit chat, a little wine, and a whole lot of putting the pencil to paper (or fingers to the keyboard).

Ann worked on her first chapter of her next YA novel. Angela kept busy with revisions of a story we had critiqued at an earlier meeting. Cathy continued her story that we enjoyed reading the first half previously. I finished three poems and a rough draft of this blog. It was quite a productive night for all of us.

Being busy moms, it is sometimes hard for us to carve out time to write. If you find that this is an issue, do something a little different at your next writing group meeting. WRITE!

9 comments:

Brenda said...

I'm a member of 2 online critique groups, but no in-person ones anymore...

I do have a hard time finding time to write without interruption, about the time I get started the phone rings, hubs needs something, etc...Maybe I will tell hubs I joined another in-person group so I can have one night a week to write...I can go to the local coffee shop and write! What a concept...grin...

Kelly said...

Even to go do that on your own a few times a month would be great! Life is so busy!

Rena said...

Great post, Kelly. Your writing group sounds like a lot of fun. I haven't gotten into these yet.

Kim Kasch said...

My life was crazy until the kids grew up. The reason I started writing for publication - cause - I always loved to write - was when my first son went off to college. He thought I needed something and I'm glad he encouraged me. My middle son, told me to write down the story I got my agent with. It was a story I used to tell them at bedtime - a scary story. Yikes, what kind of a mother was I?...

Kelly said...

A creative one!:0)

My Girl "PLEASE COME BACK" said...

hi
hello
how was your day?
i liked your blog
you are fantastic!!!

really nice blog
fabulous fantastic
bye
take care
see you

annasander said...

Sounds like a great meeting! :-) For those who don't have writing groups nearby, there are some great critiquing communities online, too, for example Critique Circle.

Good luck with your writing!

-Anna

C.R. Evers said...

What a neat idea! Sometimes I stay later so I can write by myself, but that would be kind of nice to have my buddies around for a writting session too!

Jill Corcoran said...

Critique groups are precious. Finding the right one is like finding home. Glad you have found your writing home.