Friday, June 12, 2015

Poetry Friday



Hello, fellow poet lovers and hello, summer! Today is the first Friday I have at home since school was dismissed last week. I taught kindergarten for the first time and absolutely loved it! I was also able to attend my cousin's wedding in Arizona last weekend and read PAPER TOWNS by John Green on the plane ride home (and finished in bed later that night). One thing I loved about the book is Green uses excerpts of Walt Whitman poems throughout the book, and I love that young readers will now know the poetry of Whitman because of this book (which is also a movie coming out next month).

So today for Poetry Friday, I give you a Walt Whitman poem. Not one from the book above, but one that caught my eye when I was perusing his poetry this morn.

A NOISELESS, PATIENT SPIDER
by: Walt Whitman (1819-1892)
      NOISELESS, patient spider,
      I mark'd, where, on a little promontory, it stood, isolated;
      Mark'd how, to explore the vacant, vast surrounding,
      It launch'd forth filament, filament, filament, out of itself;
      Ever unreeling them--ever tirelessly speeding them.
       
      And you, O my Soul, where you stand,
      Surrounded, surrounded, in measureless oceans of space,
      Ceaselessly musing, venturing, throwing,--seeking the spheres, to connect them;
      Till the bridge you will need, be form'd--till the ductile anchor hold;
      Till the gossamer thread you fling, catch somewhere, O my Soul.

Have you ever read a more beautiful poem comparing one's soul to an arachnid?

You can find links to other posts of poetry at the Poetry Roundup at Jama's place where you can always find something yummy! Have a wonderful weekend!