Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Music & Maurice

ROCK N ROLL
I finally got my concert fix Friday night (it's been 3+ months, people). My friend Sue and I ventured out to see Candyland favorite New Medicine with American Idol rocker, James Durbin. I've seen New Meds before, and yes, Candace is right, they do indeed rock. And yes, Brady is a sigh-worthy bassist. The girl don't lie! And he's as sweet as can be; he had just returned from Ghana a few days before the concert.

Here's James Durbin.
Photobucket

A couple of rock chicks
Photobucket

LITERARY LAUGHS
Okay, if you are one of the few who didn't see the Colbert Report with author Maurice Sendak, you must watch. It is flippin' hilarious! Love his candor. He even sings! And Stephen Colbert makes me laugh pretty easily anyway. Check it out here. Definitely worth your time.

OTHER DANG GOOD STUFF
Thank you again to Nutschell! I won a signed Ellen Degeneres book at her blog! Yes, I'm one lucky girl!

A poem of mine was accepted for a summer issue of Stories for Children magazine. I've switched gears for the last month (and next month) and have been concentrating on poetry and picture book writing instead of middle grade. I think it's good for my creativity to mix it up a bit!

Please check out Book Recs of the Rock & Famous at http://www.bookrecsthatrock.blogspot.com today. I have one of my favorite actors ever chatting books with me. He played my best loved literary character in a movie. Any guesses?? (Again, I'm one lucky girl!)

Have a fabulous week, you! Thank you for stopping by!

30 comments:

Anita said...

Congrats on the poem! Let us know where/when we can read it. Also, I love your nail polish!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You are just such a rocker chick! Congratulations on the book - I'd seen that it was you who won.

Tony Van Helsing said...

You sound like you are going great guns at the moment. Nice work rock chick.

Christina Lee said...

NIIICE---a good concert and book!!

Kelly Polark said...

Anita - I'll post when it is published in June!
Alex - Ellen is hilarious. I'm sure it will be a fun read.
Why thank you, Tony! Good to be keeping busy!
Christina - Yes, two of my favorite things!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Wow, you've been busy, Kelly!

I haven't seen a concert since last summer(Bon Jovi). My 12 yo wants me to take him to one, but we've just haven't gone yet. Fortunately we have pretty much the same taste in music.

Emily R. King said...

I saw that Colbert Report. The bag of penises he cut out of the book was hilarious! (New follower)

Lydia Kang said...

Thank you, thank you for that Maurice Sendak interview! Oh, he is so hilarious.

Jeremy Bates said...

good concert. hope you enjoyed it

Cynthia Chapman Willis said...

Congratulations on the poem acceptance, Kelly! That's great. And thank you for the Colbert Report link featuring Maurice Sendak. So freaking hilarious.

Bish Denham said...

Oh you rockin' mamas! Congratulations on the poem! I'm going to go check out the interview NOW.

Lola Sharp said...

Congrats on the poem! And, I agree, changing things up with different types of creativity is GOOD for all creativity. (painting, drawing, poetry, music...it's ALL good. :)

Happy February! <3
Love,
Lola

Lynda R Young said...

Looks like you had LOTS of fun at that concert :)

Kelly Polark said...

Stina - I go to concerts with my 12yo, too!!
Emily - That may be my favorite Colbert episode!
Lydia - Seriously funny!
Jeremy- Definitely a good one.
THank you, Cynthia!
Bish - I hope you enjoy the interview as much as we did!
Lola - Yes, agreed. It's been a harder transition than I thought though. A fab Feb to you!
Lynda - Lots of fun, for sure!

kevin21 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jemi Fraser said...

So many good things! Love that you got an Ellen book - she is such fun! :)

Theresa Milstein said...

Congratulations on your poem acceptance.

I won Nutschell's other book!

I'll have to check out Sendak. Thanks for the link.

Samantha VĂ©rant said...

Yay on all accounts! The poem! The concert! (And the really good pics!) How do you get backstage all the time, anyway? You're too cool for school! And wait? Maurice Sendak is funny? I've got to see that...

ciao for now

Angela Ackerman said...

That's so cool you got to see the band that Candace is always raving about. I listened to a track online and it was pretty darn good! :)

Angela

Jo Schaffer said...

Hooray for rocking out!!! (=

Susan Fields said...

Congrats on your poem! And on your book win! I'm glad you got your concert fix - looks like a great time!

Nicki Elson said...

How fun! Great pictures.

I agree that it's good to mix up that creative brain a bit. Congrats on the poem! And the Ellen book. :) And thanks for signing up for the Tumble 4 Ya blogfest - can't wait to see who you pick!

Kelly Polark said...

Jemi- Ellen is a hoot!
Theresa- Congrats on your book win! I love funny books.
Sam- Thank you, dear! The band was hanging by the merchandise so no backstage access needed. :)
Angela - Yes, I like them a lot. I saw them live a few years ago with Avenged Sevenfold. Great rock band!
Jo - :)
Susan - I so needed that concert fix!
Nicki- Looking forward to your blogfest!

Adrienne said...

Congrats on the poem! I agree, it's good to mix it up.
I have to check out that Maurice Sendak interview. :)

kevin21 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kevin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kevin21 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kevin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kevin said...

Newport Cigarettes

Cheap Newport Cigarettes

kevin said...

Mata Mblere

Moncler Jackets For Men

Jackets For Men

Moncler Outlet Platine