Monday, May 10, 2010

Miscellaneous Monday

1. I hope all of you wonderful moms had a great weekend. Mine was close to perfect. My daughter had her First Communion on Saturday followed by lunch and laughter with family at our house, finally watched The Blind Side (excellent movie), and then played Apples to Apples. On Mother's Day we went to church and to a most delicious 12:30 brunch. I even ordered three of my favorite drinks right away when I got there: champagne, chocolate milk, and a Coke. After eating way too much at brunch, I came home and got into my jammies! Except for the very cold temperatures, the weekend was awesome. How did you celebrate?

2. NaPiboWriWee is all done! Check Paula Yoo's site for more details on this 7 Picture Books in 7 Days week. I did complete a rough draft of one non-fiction book and worked on about half of a rhyming PB. I knew I wouldn't complete 7 rough drafts in 7 days, but it did motivate me to do a lot! It was a much needed break from my Middle Grade which I will get back to this week.

3. Thank you to Nicole at One Significant Moment at a Time for the Awesomesauce award. That's....awesome! Also thanks to Wendy at Musings from Down Under for the Sugar Doll award. Sweet!

4. Jonathan Arntson tagged me in this fun FIVE THINGS meme. If you want to do this too, consider yourself tagged!

Where were you five years ago?
1. Nursing and nurturing an eight month old son
2. While chasing after a very rambunctious two year old daughter
3. and worrying how my kindergartener was handling all the attention I had to pay to the other two more demanding children
4. Changing many, many diapers
5. Receiving much love in return

Where would you like to be five years from now?
1. Agented
2. Published author in the genres of PB and MG
3. Attending, cheering and carting my kids to many sports events and activities of my 10 yr old, 12 yr old and (gasp!) 15 year old.
4. Same house and hope it is full of as much hugs and kisses as it is now (see my kids ages in five years).
5. Perhaps teaching grade school either full time or substitute teaching

What is/was on your to do list today?
1. Substitute teach P.E. in the morning (my daughter was very excited, because I will sub for her class for 35 minutes)
2. Laundry catch up since I ignored it all weekend
3. Take library books back (or renew them online)
4. Read your blog
5. Cheer on JD at his t-ball game (if it doesn't rain!)

What five snacks do you enjoy?
1. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
2. Salted cashews
3. Chocolate chip cookies
4. Popcorn at the movies
5. cheese and crackers

What five things would you do if you were a billionaire?
I'm not sure I'd want to be a billionaire...seriously. I'd love a million dollars...but no more. :) I like my life the way it is. This was the toughest of the questions...
1. Save for my children's colleges and set up accounts for their future children.
2. I'd pay off my house and probably buy one on the lake for my fisherman hubby. I imagine we'd both get new cars (a corvette and truck for him, a big family suv for the kids and I). Help out other family members too in a reasonable way.
3. Go to more SCBWI conferences, specifically the L.A. and NY ones, help pay for some of my blogger buds to go, too (or to a writing retreat).
4. Get front row seats to concerts with VIP passes of course.
5. Donate to charities, specifically ones for children and education.

26 comments:

Tina Laurel Lee said...

Fun! Let's both be billionaires and hook everyone up!

Candyland said...

Champaign, chocolate milk AND coke?!!

Kelly said...

Tina - Totally! (and I borrowed that idea from you!)
Candy- It was Mother's Day! I thought I'd have all my favorites at once! :)

Laura Pauling said...

Sounds like fun. I love playing apples to apples with my kids b/c we all can enjoy it.

ElegantSnobbery said...

Writing retreat!! Woooot! I'd totally organize one and if I were a billionaire, too!

Stephanie J. Blake said...

Sounds like you had a perfect day!

Solvang Sherrie said...

Mother's Day was cold here, too, but like you, I had a yummy brunch with family and friends.

I can't imagine a million dollars, let alone a billion!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Mmmmm, we have the same taste in snacks!! :-)

Kelly said...

Laura - I agree! We play as a family a lot, even my five year old can play it!
Marisa - Wouldn't that be cool?!!
Stephanie - I did. I hope you had a wonderful day too!
Sherrie - I can't imagine it either. I had trouble thinking of what to buy!
Shannon - If only I had the self control to stay away from them more!

Kelly@ JustWrite said...

Kelly,

I'm the same way! Really, I don't want for much...maybe a little bit bigger house, and maybe one on an ocean somewhere. And maybe new cars. But really, a cool mill would take care of all that!

Nice of you to remember your bloggy friends if you strike it rich!! Esp those who share the same name, right???? ;)

Anita said...

I completely get what you're saying about the $. If I had a billion, I'd give it all away faaast.

P.S. You're a great mother!

Kimberly Franklin said...

Reese's peanut butter cups are the best! Ever!! ;)

Ann Marie Wraight said...

YOU are TOO COOL to be true....but we know you are!

Let it be known that when Kelly and Tina become TRILLIONAIRESSES, I want to be their secretary and organise things like book signings and pop corn in their personal home theatres...

Hema P. said...

Sounds like you had a fun weekend, Kelly! I totally get what you said about not being sure whether you wanted to be a billionare! I refuse to buy lotto tickets for the same reason -- not that I have the luck to win it, but you never know... ;-)

Jonathon Arntson said...

I am so glad to see popcorn and Reese's on everyone's lists! My friends think I am such a snack snob.

I wanna be Ann's PA when all of the above happens.

Sliding on the Edge said...

Mom's day rocked for me. Glad yours was super too. As to the Five Things . . . I can't remember what I did five minutes ago let alone five years! Scary!

Have fun. Know you will.

Dawn Simon said...

Fun post, Kelly! We had an awesome weekend too!

I like the answers to your questions. Cool that you subbed in your daughter's class!

Kelly H-Y said...

We really need to play 'Apples to Apples' ... we've got it, it just hasn't been opened! LOVED The Blindside! Sounds like you had a great Mother's Day weekend!

Christina Farley said...

I really enjoyed your list. I learned a lot about you! Hope your PE subbing went well! And I hope you get an agent and are published too!

Suzanne Casamento said...

Your Mother's Day weekend sounds fabulous!

I like how you answered your questions. BTW, do you plan attending SCBWI's summer conference? I'm on the fence. (Counting pennies.)

DEZMOND said...

Kelly, here's a small treat for you :)) Go to this page:

http://famewatcher.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/293.5.McHale.Joel.041708.jpg

Kelly said...

Kelly - Absolutely!
Anita - Awww, thanks. And I know you are, too!
Kimberly - Total yum.
Jon and Ann Marie - You are so hired.
Hema - It would be quite a change in lifestyle I think...plus a different set of worries.

Susan Fields said...

Congrats on your awards! And that sounds like a wonderful weekend - I hope it included a nap. :)

Kelly said...

Lee- I hear ya! I couldn't tell you details about five years ago, but it was a blur of diapers and sweet hugs!
Dawn - My daughter was so excited to have me as a teacher. It was very cute, and she was a good girl for me too. :)
Kelly - I love Apples to Apples because it is something fun for the kids and adults. All five of us can play together.
Christina - I generally really enjoy subbing. Seeing my daughter was a bonus!
Suzanne - No I am not going this year (too expensive right now). I would so love to go one day.
Dezmond - Thanks for the funny with a dash of sexy pic of Joel! :)
Susan - Funny you say that, I did lay down for a little while after the brunch, but couldn't. Of course my hubby got a nap in though! :)

Rena said...

Great post, Kelly!

lyfizgud said...

LOVED this post...right from the beagle picture (they are so near and dear to my heart) to what you did for Mother's Day to the five things...LOVED that...I may steal it :))
Great post, Kelly...you're my favorite blogger :)))